| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Guide to being vegan at Starbucks
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:19 pm 
Semen Strong

#WorseThanNetflix

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:37 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

This is our 9/11.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:42 pm 
Semen Strong

mumbles wrote:
This is our 9/11.

TOO SOON!!!!!!

I love you so much, omg never change.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

mumbles wrote:
This is our 9/11.

if you're reading twitter you might get the impression that it is much worse to some.
don't read twitter.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:48 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

missmuffcake wrote:
I went to Pete's over the weekend while in Berkley, is the soy milk free? I asked for soy in my coffee and he just gave me the pitcher...

I'm making an assumption you're talking about Peet's coffee/tea chain, so forgive me if you're not.

My roommate works there and I work across the street from one- they're actually super vegan friendly/at least aware. Yeah, they charge extra for soy in mixed drinks, but they keep it out on the counter for drip. If it's not there, ask for it. Also, most of the employees will tell you which treats are vegan (they almost always have at least one or two accidentally-vegan ones). Their teas are awesome, and their drip coffee is AMAZING for a chain. It's all I ever drink now because he gets it for free, and some of their blends are better than my old favorites like Stumptown and Verite. Their version of the frappucino has always been vegan, so long as you order it with soy. Okay, so they've got chocolate or vanilla, but hey. It's something, and it's really freaking good.

Also, if you get a free drink card from Peet's (which they're required to do if your drink takes longer than 3 minutes to make!), order the most insane thing - extra shots, soy, syrup, whatever- because they don't have limitations on what the drink is, so long as it's a medium beverage.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Someone on the Sbux FB page broke it down:

Quote:
Another lactose-intolerant loyal starbucks rewards member, who is super sad about losing the soy benefit.

Sure, rewards are faster--free drink every 12 drinks instead of every 15. But do the math -->

16 drinks for the price of (15 * $x) drinks, compared to 13 drinks at the price of (12 * [$x+0.60]) -->
each "regular" drink has to be $38.40, and each soy drink has to be $39 for these rewards to be equivalent.

...nice try, Starbucks. Bring soy back! :( ...and maybe add almond milk as another dairy-free alternative! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:07 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

missdelaney wrote:

I'm making an assumption you're talking about Peet's coffee/tea chain, so forgive me if you're not.

Yes, sorry!

Also we have a Peet's inside Raley's but I assume their baked stuff and other drinks are not the same.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:57 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This makes me sad as I just got my gold card. I'll write an email later. Syrups I can understand bit geez.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:06 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

This sucks so hard. My tall sugar-free vanilla soy americano misto is $4.25 without the card, and $2.75 with. (Also if you say tall and give them a grande travel mug, you pretty much always get a grande). I can justify $2.75 two or three times a month, but $4.25? The only good thing to come out of this is that I will no longer feel guilty about going to Starbucks (because I will no longer go there).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 pm 
Semen Strong

Heehee I do the travel mug trick too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:55 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Out of curiosity, hasn't the S.Bucks always charged more for soy? Without fancy cards?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Yeah but the card was how you got around it. It's just a gift card so it wasn't hard to get or anything. I suppose they charged people who didn't want to go through that trouble more, but that's how all rewards cards/programs/coupons work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yes, but the selling point of getting people to use the cards (they get to track your purchases and save a boatload in credit/debit processing fees) was the free drink upgrades.

Before the free soy milk, I only had occasional drinks (plus my espresso machine worked). They have also been steadily increasing the price of soy over the years. The no charge soy helped contribute to my addiction! I'd not have developed it otherwise.

But, since my Starbucks budget is just a function of me having no life (I don't go out to eat, or out with friends, or to movies, or drinks), it's been my one big treat. Now I have three choices: pay an extra 25% for my drinks, go less often, find a new morning routine. Since I don't have the extra 25%, I'll start looking for something else to fill the need. I'll miss the human interaction in the morning, but I can start saving for a new espresso machine, so win overall even though this will suck at first. The extra $1.10 is a lot.

I feel for the baristas. Those new charges will probably take their tip money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 pm 
Semen Strong

I think it feels a bit more unfair than with most reward cards, because you had to buy 30 cups of coffee (get 30 stars) before you started to qualify for free soy. So it feels like you "earned" that reward, which is now being taken away from you.

Change.org petition And http://www.facebook.com/Starbucks for complaints :)

And I definitely went more often because I wanted to keep up my "gold" status (you need 30 stars a year I think) to keep getting soymilk free, so they probably made an extra cup or two of coffee off me every week. When you type it out, you start to realize how effective it was at getting customer loyalty, which is why I can't believe they're changing it. It can't cost them more than dairy, and in exchange they literally had a monopoly on lactose intolerant people and vegans.

And you can always make the point by returning your Starbucks card:
Here's the address on Starbucks' website:

Starbucks Customer Relations
PO Box 3717
Seattle, WA 98124-3717

Last edited by Tofulish on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 pm 

Huh? I never got to gold and I was getting free soy/syrup at the green level.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:42 pm 
Chip Strong

They only required you register a card to get the free soy / syrup. You didn't have to be gold.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:43 pm 

lavawitch wrote:

But, since my Starbucks budget is just a function of me having no life (I don't go out to eat, or out with friends, or to movies, or drinks), it's been my one big treat. Now I have three choices: pay an extra 25% for my drinks, go less often, find a new morning routine. Since I don't have the extra 25%, I'll start looking for something else to fill the need. I'll miss the human interaction in the morning

I feel the same way. I don't expect to be patted on the back for my weekly standing Starbucks date, but I don't go out all week for dinner/drinks/movies with friends so I make one (previously pretty cheap) concession to go out on Saturday mornings and have a beverage with a friend who is just as strapped as me and we just want to get out of the house and be in public and not blow a ton of money. And then starbucks came in and pooped in my punch bowl. An extra dollar a week or whatever wouldnt break me, but on principle alone I cannot fork that over for a tablespoon of soymilk. I GUESS MY PUBLIC WILL HAVE TO GO ON WITHOUT ME.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:44 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Yeah, you get (got) free soy/syrups at green, at gold you get free drinks every 15 and, best of all, the baristas know your name! Ohhh. Or so Starbucks keeps telling me.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 pm 
WRETCHED

Uh huh. I don't need you Starbucks for my occasional splurges.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:46 pm 
Semen Strong

You're right, you had to only buy 5 drinks to get to green which meant free soy, but you didn't get free soy just for registering the card, that is why the reward felt 'earned.' To me anyway.

http://www.starbucks.com/card/rewards

Last edited by Tofulish on Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Fee wrote:
Huh? I never got to gold and I was getting free soy/syrup at the green level.

This.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm ridiculously a gold member due to visits and random card gifts from my old workplace. I couldn't make coffee in my old office and it was the 'best' cup around within close walking distance (which sidenote, is pretty sad for Portland). I definitely just signed the petition. I don't care about vanilla and other flavors because their drinks are SO sweet but the soy milk charge is a drag! You can bet I'll be in for a secret latte within the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm 
Semen Strong

Fee wrote:
An extra dollar a week or whatever wouldnt break me, but on principle alone I cannot fork that over for a tablespoon of soymilk. I GUESS MY PUBLIC WILL HAVE TO GO ON WITHOUT ME.

I am pretty sure that soy at the bar (ie you add it to your own hot or cold coffee) will stay free, and the new change (no free soy in your latte etc) doesn't go into effect until 10.16, so your public could still get to see you, just with a different beverage, perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I think the gold card was just for free drinks. The free syrup and soy was an incentive to get people to auto load cards.

The thing that annoys me is that soy can't be costing them that much more, if any. I buy cases of 12 boxes of organic vanilla soy at Costco for 10.99. If *I* can get it that in expensively, I certa ly hope a mega corporation can do better. They can get 3+ venti lattes out of one carton, and the cost for dairy milk is already built into the drink. They have no real reason to gouge non-dairy customers .60 per drink. At least I get ventis; they charge the same even if you get a tall.

So, they are going to give away free $7 sandwiches after 12 drinks, save money on postage for not sending the cards, but they have to give the finger to their non-dairy customers? I'll best most who get the soy don't buy food since it all has dairy.

Of course, they are a company out to make money. I wouldnt be too peeved if they took away the syrup perk. I've seen people get 10+ pumps in a drink (yeesh! Gross!). I only get two, but it's an extra, so nbd.

Also: it's easier to spend $70/month at a business when you like going there, feel valued, and overall have a positive experience. I'm not sure how this move helps with that at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:51 pm 
WRETCHED

I will have to see how much I have left on my Starbucks card, I might have enough for 1 or 2 drinks, I'll get those prior to the changes going into effect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17  Next