| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooking for someone with an onion and garlic intolerance
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:37 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I am going to have my brother in law and sister in law over for dinner a week from now. My sister in law gets migraines any time she eats onions and garlic. This includes onion and garlic powder. For most recipes, the first step is usually to saute an onion in oil and garlic is in many recipes. Will the meal be ruined if the onion and/or garlic are not included? Is there a substitute that I could use instead? They both want to eat healthier and I want to make something that they will enjoy and want to make again. These are people who eat out almost every night so their cooking skills are limited. (My sister in law has even joked that they have never used most of their pots and pans.)

Post subject: Re: Cooking for someone with an onion and garlic intolerance
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I would say asafetida (,hing) powder to substitute garlic and onion. But if you are not used to cooking with it, it could be daunting! (Only need tiny amounts and has a really funky smell). I saw an article that is could sometimes (hurl-sorry!) Be aged in animal skins? Never heard that before. Though so not sure how common a practice that is. Maybe someone else will chime in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:29 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I often leave out the onion/garlic and simply saute an equivalent amount of chopped celery and carrot for the onion portion of a dish. Celery is a great aromatic vegetable. The dish turns out fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:39 am 
***LIES!!!***

I would do what quagga said plus add a diced green pepper if it is appropriate for the recipe. Carrot, celery, and green pepper are all aromatics, they do a similar job in a dish as onions and garlic. I actually leave out onion from recipes all the time just because I'm too lazy to dice it, things always seem to turn out fine. You might also want to add a little more of any other herbs and spices in the recipe to give a little more oomph. And sometimes if the recipe requires deeply cooked onions it's nice to add a touch of miso or soy sauce to replicate that umami flavor that might be lacking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:32 am 
Saggy Butt

I also get migraines from onions and garlic, so I just leave them out when I cook. I actually wouldn't stress about it too much, since although you will probably miss the onions and garlic, someone who doesn't eat them probably won't.

I eat onions and garlic in food at restaurants or people's houses sometimes and I don't really like it much.

I think if you just cook something they like and leave the onions/garlic out, that will probably be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:15 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I get migraines and also terrible digestive issues from onions. Glad to hear I'm not the only one!
I can't eat onions in any form and initially I thought it'd be really hard not to cook with them since they are in everything, but it turns out, you can just leave them out of most things and it's no big deal. I hardly ever replace them with anything and food still tastes good. As long as they aren't the main flavor. Like, i obviously wouldn't make french onion soup.

I just made the dragon noodle salad from Isa Does It and I left out the garlic because I didn't feel like using my immersion blender. I also made the chipotle mac n cheese from the ppk blog and you can easily leave out the garlic. good stuff.

You can pretty much make anything and just leave them out. Even if it does affect the flavor slightly, your dinner guest will be so happy to know they don't have to worry about getting sick.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:22 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

If you're looking for an easy source of onion and garlic-free recipes, try look for Brahmin food. Brahmin's are the priest caste in India, and orthodox ones are not allowed to either either garlic or onion (or chili), and yet they manage to make delicious Indian food. Perhaps that would help?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:02 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Also Jain cuisine and certain Chinese vegetarian/Buddhist cuisine eschew onions and garlic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had a lot of delicious Jain curry on my cruise - don't know how they did it but I had no problem eating it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:16 am 
Saggy Butt

On top of the other suggestions, I was going to suggest hare krishna food as they don't eat onion or garlic and everything is vegetarian or vegan. I work by a hare krishna temple and sometimes go there for food and it's delicious!

http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/recipes.htm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:38 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Rosie wrote:
On top of the other suggestions, I was going to suggest hare krishna food as they don't eat onion or garlic and everything is vegetarian or vegan. I work by a hare krishna temple and sometimes go there for food and it's delicious!

http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/recipes.htm

This is because, in general, the Hare Krishna follow the same principles Brahmins do when it comes to Hinduism.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I did a no onion no garlic trial for my IBS a while back. Watch out for anything pre-bought. So many things have onion or garlic powder in. Don't use any store-bought stock powders. I used marmite as a stock substitute for making soups, which could be an option.

You can make curries without either, as someone mentioned asafoetida powder can be used (I never found it that smelly) but even if not, use spices and it'll taste ok. DON'T however use any premixed curry powder, masala powder / paste etc as usually that'll have garlic in it.

Onions and garlic can add "flavour" to a dish...so if you have a dish you want to make, look at adding flavour some other way. Spices? Herbs? (avoid leeks, chives, scallions etc though as they are all onions).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:01 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
I would say asafetida (,hing) powder to substitute garlic and onion. But if you are not used to cooking with it, it could be daunting! (Only need tiny amounts and has a really funky smell). I saw an article that is could sometimes (hurl-sorry!) Be aged in animal skins? Never heard that before. Though so not sure how common a practice that is. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I don't really understand this. Are you saying that asofetida is aged animal skins? It's a mix of dried resin, gums, and oils, and used all the time in Indian vegetarian cooking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:05 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I'll second 1strangegirlbygolly! on the hing. I love that stuff, it's like garlic, onion and leek all wrapped up into one. Never heard of the animal skin thing though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I often leave out onion just because I don't love it. I've never had a problem! Ariann's advice is great. As far as I know macrobiotic cuisine also eschews onions and garlic, so macrobiotic recipes or a cookbook like Blissful Bites (which is a super book -- I use it to cook for my celiac dad and my onion-hating mom all the time) would be a good place to start too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:01 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

molasses jane wrote:

I don't really understand this. Are you saying that asofetida is aged animal skins? It's a mix of dried resin, gums, and oils, and used all the time in Indian vegetarian cooking.
yep, I found the thought shocking, too. Never heard it before and saw that claim online at culinate.com. that all that is said, that it may be aged in animal skins. Who knows if its true. Maybe more googling is needed but flamingvegan.com in the comments also references back to that culinate entry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:11 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Last edited by 1strangegirlbygolly! on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

molasses jane wrote:

yep, I found the thought shocking, too. But, to clarify- the only thought is that it may be aged *INSIDE* the skins of animals, not that it is composed of animal's skins. I saw this claim online at culinate.com. that all that is said, that it may be aged in animal skins. Who knows if its true. Maybe more googling is needed but flamingvegan.com in the comments also references back to that culinate entry

Last edited by 1strangegirlbygolly! on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to try a recipe that I'm familiar with and leave out the onions. (And I like the celery and pepper suggestion! I can never use up all my celery!) Then I may try one of the Indian recipes. I'm gonna test a few recipes this week.