| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White chocolate cake recipe?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My mom has requested a white chocolate cake for her birthday in a few weeks. Does anyone have a recipe they've made and like? Somewhere I have a recipe for white chocolate cake with nutella frosting I made in pregan days, but I think it would be tricky to veganize. Any recommendations would be most welcome. :)

Post subject: Re: White chocolate cake recipe?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:44 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

doncherryfan wrote:
My mom has requested a white chocolate cake for her birthday in a few weeks. Does anyone have a recipe they've made and like? Somewhere I have a recipe for white chocolate cake with nutella frosting I made in pregan days, but I think it would be tricky to veganize. Any recommendations would be most welcome. :)

What country are you in? In the US, Vegan Essentials sells a high quality vegan white chocolate bar, much better than white chocolate chips but also more expensive since it's imported from Europe. Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan contains a recipe for substituting Nutella that looks really good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I was in the same predicament last week, only it was a white chocolate candy cane cake. I ended up patching my own together because vegan white chocolate recipes are scarce. I found a few in my cookbooks, but they were mainly vanilla cakes with a white chocolate mousse or filling.

Since I wanted the cake itself to be white chocolate, I replaced some of the oil with melted cocoa butter and added quite a bit of coarsely grated white chocolate to the batter. Chips would also work but in this case I didn't want the texture. I also used cake flour in place of AP because I was trying to lighten things as much as possible to counteract the firmness of room temperature cocoa butter.

For the filling and frosting, I used whipped coconut cream with what was left of the white chocolate, cocoa butter, Nielsen Massey vanilla powder, a little powdered sugar, and a pinch of salt. I melted the cocoa butter and white chocolate together and let them cool to room temperature. I added that, along with the other ingredients, to the chilled and separated coconut cream, then beat it to the consistency of whipped cream. I put it back in the refrigerator and beat it again when I was ready to put the cake together.

Using the white chocolate in conjunction with cocoa butter was redundant but I had some that I wanted to use up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

LFL wrote:
doncherryfan wrote:

What country are you in? In the US, Vegan Essentials sells a high quality vegan white chocolate bar, much better than white chocolate chips but also more expensive since it's imported from Europe. Vegan Chocolate by Fran Costigan contains a recipe for substituting Nutella that looks really good.

Thanks for the tip. I'm in the US and I've got access to some vegan white chocolate chips at a kosher grocery near me, but the bar sounds even better so I'll put in an order. My other concern is that most of the white chocolate cakes recipes I've seen (including the one I used to make with the nutella frosting) use a ton of eggs/egg yolks/egg whites - the old nutella cake I think had 5 egg whites whipped into meringue and folded into the batter. I don't know how (or if it's even possible) to veganize something like that so I'm hoping to find a cake recipe that's already vegan.

Xocolatl, your frosting recipe sounds delish! I may borrow it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:55 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

doncherryfan wrote:
My other concern is that most of the white chocolate cakes recipes I've seen (including the one I used to make with the nutella frosting) use a ton of eggs/egg yolks/egg whites - the old nutella cake I think had 5 egg whites whipped into meringue and folded into the batter. I don't know how (or if it's even possible) to veganize something like that so I'm hoping to find a cake recipe that's already vegan.

Good luck, and let us know if you find something. I would love to have a recipe for white chocolate cake...