| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: okara liverwurst
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:45 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I've been experimenting with BC Grogan's recipe for vegan liverwurst. The taste of her recipe is a bit milder as compared to the strong flavor of real liverwurst - it's just right. http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2 ... feast.html

I used silken the first time, and it turned out great. I don't have ready access to silken tofu so have been subbing okara because that's what I have. I used the okara from milk making (+ water to = 12oz) in place of the tofu, added some sesame oil to the batter, and poured it into two 1# vegie cans lined w/parchment. The parchment extended around 1 1/2" past top of can to allow for expansion.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/387872586631029233/

Instead of fussy pan of water cooking in oven, I've cooked the cans in the pressure cooker, and it turned out good w/the tofu, but got messy w/the okara. Now I'm baking the cans in 300 oven for 90 minutes and that seems to work.

It is perfect as a pate, HOWEVER, it is a bit too mushy. It still slices well and holds its shape, but does not hold together as well as I'd like. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can add to firm texture up a bit?

Post subject: Re: okara liverwurst
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:57 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I would add a little extra flour, it's already in the recipe so it won't change the flavor too much, and it makes it a bit firmer.

Post subject: Re: okara liverwurst
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:30 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I was afraid to add more flour for fear it would make it mushier. What are your thoughts on adding some vital wheat gluten? I don't want it to turn into a hard knot, but need just a little cohesion.