| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is decaf coffee always de-flavour as well?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:17 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I like to drink coffee. However, I'm rather sensitive to caffeine, so no coffee after lunch :-(. I also need to keep my caffeine consumption fairly level or I get headaches. I start working soon (after a year of maternity leave) and won't have time to drink as much coffee, so I decided that decaf is a good solution on those days where I want more than one or two cups. There is only one type of decaf coffee in my grocery store, and the flavour is... Underwhelming. It's not terrible, but the actual aroma, the "top notes" to use a perfume term, seem to be missing. Is this always the case with decaf coffee, or are there better options? I know you won't be able to tell what is available here, but I want to know if it's any point looking, or if it's better to just get used to it?

Post subject: Re: Is decaf coffee always de-flavour as well?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:27 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm a coffee fiend and I either drink americano style out of my little pod machine at home, or ground coffee using a cafetiere at work. A couple of weeks back it was making me super jittery (a first for me) which I think was because of a major alignment of stresses, including moving house. There was some good quality ground decaf in the cupboard at work so I tried that for a few days instead. It was perfectly nice and I didn't notice a major difference, and the jitters eased off a bit! Could you order in some nice ground decaf maybe?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:48 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Caffeine has seriously bothersome withdrawal symptoms if you do cold turkey. Headaches and moodswings that last for a few days. Titrate down...

How do you make your coffee? I use a cafetière at home and I often put in half normal coffee and half decaf in order to reduce my caffeine intake. You can get half-caf coffee in some places, which is the same thing but already mixed. There are some nicer decafs out there, but this feels like a good compromise for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I drink half-caf - half caffeinated and half decaf and I can't tell the difference between that and full caffeine. And I switch to decaf only after noon and I also don't notice a difference in taste.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't think decaf is as good as full caf, but I've had horrible decaf and I've had good decaf, so I'm guessing you drank something on the horrible end. I would order a nicer decaf and compare because I think quality can vary a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:47 pm 

Gulliver wrote:
Caffeine has seriously bothersome withdrawal symptoms if you do cold turkey. Headaches and moodswings that last for a few days. Titrate down...

How do you make your coffee? I use a cafetière at home and I often put in half normal coffee and half decaf in order to reduce my caffeine intake. You can get half-caf coffee in some places, which is the same thing but already mixed. There are some nicer decafs out there, but this feels like a good compromise for me.

I know (from experience), that's why I don't want to suddenly reduce my intake drastically when I start working. I have three weeks to get down to one cup of real coffee a day!

I use a regular coffee maker with a paper filter.

Thanks everyone for answering! It seems like there is hope for my afternoon coffee.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:03 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I have yet to find a decaf that I find palatable. When I worked in a coffee shop, a coworker mixed up two filters of coffee and was cursing that they couldn't remember witch was decaf. I smelled each and identified them. My coworker didn't really seem to believe that I could do that, but I was adamant, so they brewed them as I called them. No one came back complaining that day.
I just drink Roastaroma or dandelion tea/"coffee" when I don't want the caffeine.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:43 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I use an instant decaf from lidl, it's very nice, I don't know if they do it in Sweden.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:38 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

amonik wrote:
I use a regular coffee maker with a paper filter.
To me a regular coffee maker is a cafetière or a moka pot... Cultural difference are fun.

fezza wrote:
I use an instant decaf from lidl, it's very nice, I don't know if they do it in Sweden.
Aldi coffee tastes like it's straight from Satan's sphincter, so thanks. I'll try Lidl next time!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:27 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

There are many processed that can be used to remove caffeine from coffee. The water process method (sometimes called Swiss Water Process) for removing caffeine also removes a lot of flavor. If you can find coffees that use the direct contact method you will be rewarded with a decaf that retains most of its flavor. The solvent used in this process (methylene chloride) is pretty selective and mostly attaches to and removes the caffeine.
Hopefully this info is helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:38 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Gulliver wrote:

fezza wrote:
Aldi coffee tastes like it's straight from Satan's sphincter, so thanks. I'll try Lidl next time!

I find it doesn't have the tinniness that decaf usually has, it has a blue label.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:32 pm 

I lost my caffeine tolerance. I used to be able to drink a pot of coffee and sleep. No longer. Makes me jittery!

I use a good quality French Roast decaf - Starbucks or Peet's to name a couple.
I also order a brand for the Keurig online - Tully's French Roast Decaf and that is pretty decent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:51 pm 

Progress report: I'm down to one cup of coffee and two-three cups of tea a day. Still very tired though.

Decaf: I went to a tea/coffee boutique and sold a kidney to pay for some fancier decaf. It's loads better than the supermarket stuff, but still not as good as real coffee.

Giving up: My gut is rebelling a bit, so it seems best to actually skip most of the coffee instead of switching to decaf. Thanks again for all of your answers!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I have yet to find a decaf that I find palatable.

This

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:35 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

quietkaos wrote:
There are many processed that can be used to remove caffeine from coffee. The water process method (sometimes called Swiss Water Process) for removing caffeine also removes a lot of flavor. If you can find coffees that use the direct contact method you will be rewarded with a decaf that retains most of its flavor. The solvent used in this process (methylene chloride) is pretty selective and mostly attaches to and removes the caffeine.
Hopefully this info is helpful.

Oh cool - I had these mixed up in my head as to which left the most flavor.

I usually try to go with whichever decaf has shiny looking beans. I find that a lot of decaf beans will look completely dry, and usually be gross. The oily/shiny ones have way more flavor.