| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The fine art of Vegaburgers?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:25 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Ever sense they came out with Vegiburgers I have been trying to make them. Seldom did they ever work well without eggs.

I am so glad to have found the secret to vegan burgers at long last, I never thought of using gluten until I got a copy of Veganomicon a few days ago.
How ever it does not have a millet lintel burger recipe'.

Still too heavy, I need something light. Made with millet and lintels. I Like the factory made Quinoa and Lintel burgers I got form the food bank recently. The only problem with them was that I had no control over the salt content, and they would just be too expensive to buy or even make; quinoa is up to $5.50 lb now!

What are good substitutes for bread crumbs? I do not want to use bread crumbs because industrialized food is killing me. I tried oat bran, but it seems a bit too chunky. Bread flour just made the whole thing heavier.

I suppose that I will have to have to experiment with cooking millet to a consistency that will not make the dough too wet, nor not too crunchy. Having no teeth makes chewing a bit difficult.

I hope there will be a second volume to the Veganomicon with more instructions on dealing with ingredients.

Last edited by jawnn on Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The fine art of Vegaburgers?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:30 pm 
WRETCHED

I would think you could use oats as well. Basically, veggie burgers need binders and bread crumbs can help fill that gap.

Here is a veggie burger from the blog, it calls for bread crumbs as well but maybe oats (not oat bran)
http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-p ... et-burger/

And another option is panko which is bread crumbs but it has limited ingredients. I mean if you are willing to do bread flour, not sure why you wouldn't consider limited ingredient bread crumbs.

Or perhaps something like this:
http://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato ... an-burger/

If you want a 'meaty' burger, you'd want seitan/vital wheat gluten burgers though but there are lots of options.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:35 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

thanks I will try those. I was looking for bread crumbs before thanks giving and did not find any. and I am sure they would all have white flour in them any how.

linanil wrote:
I would think you could use oats as well. Basically, veggie burgers need binders and bread crumbs can help fill that gap.

Here is a veggie burger from the blog, it calls for bread crumbs as well but maybe oats (not oat bran)
http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarter-p ... et-burger/

And another option is panko which is bread crumbs but it has limited ingredients. I mean if you are willing to do bread flour, not sure why you wouldn't consider limited ingredient bread crumbs.

Or perhaps something like this:
http://minimalistbaker.com/sweet-potato ... an-burger/

If you want a 'meaty' burger, you'd want seitan/vital wheat gluten burgers though but there are lots of options.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:00 pm 
Semen Strong

It sounds like you have a lot of parameters to making a veggie burger, especially one which is light and also easy to eat with dental issues.

You mention that you had a recipe that worked well with egg, could you use Aqua Faba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) as a binder instead of egg? Maybe that could give you the lightness you want? The Facebook group Vegan Meringue Hits and Misses has several in their files you could look at.

Good luck finding a great recipe!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:11 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

the liquid from cooking chick peas is a binder? I will definitely try that.

I don't have a recipe for egg vegi burgers. I tried that years ago.....haven't done any of that recently.

Had a heart attack a few years ago, had to give up cheese and still learning how to be vegan.

still eating too much carbohydrates, but not as much as I used to.

Tofulish wrote:
It sounds like you have a lot of parameters to making a veggie burger, especially one which is light and also easy to eat with dental issues.

You mention that you had a recipe that worked well with egg, could you use Aqua Faba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas) as a binder instead of egg? Maybe that could give you the lightness you want? The Facebook group Vegan Meringue Hits and Misses has several in their files you could look at.

Good luck finding a great recipe!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:13 pm 
Semen Strong

It has to be the very thick liquid - like the stuff you get from a can of chickpeas, so if you cook your own, you may have to reduce the water to get that consistency. If you can join the Facebook group, you will find lots of resources on how to do it https://www.facebook.com/groups/VeganMeringue/

Basically one Aqua Faba egg is 3tablespoons of liquid, so you don't even need very much. Vegan Richa has a few GF, bean and lentil based burgers that may be interesting to you.
http://www.veganricha.com/2015/08/35-ve ... cipes.html

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:00 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

those vegi burgers look fantastic.....that should keep me busy for a while..... thanks