| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Challenge - Healthy, Diabetic, Kosher, and Kid-friendly!
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:31 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Ok...here goes nothing.

I live in a household with a type II diabetic, 2 young children, a semi-observant jew, and an active runner. (Some are the same people.) We all need to be able to eat together without me having to become a short order cook and the kitchen has to remain kosher. We also have to do this without killing the diabetic or running the runner out of carbs and without open revolt from the smaller members of the household. I'm the one wanting to go vegan and everyone else is willing to go along as long as these requirements can be met.

Does anyone else face challenges like these? How have you worked it all out? Is anyone else cooking kosher and vegan or diabetic and vegan? Any good resources?

Thank you in advance for the help!

Post subject: Re: The Challenge - Healthy, Diabetic, Kosher, and Kid-frien
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:07 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

calling mollyjade!

I was with you until you talked about the runner. I'm not exactly sure about how runners need to eat, but before a big run or something, they need a lot of carbohydrates, right? you might have to supplement them with some additional food, or just more servings of the same food you're serving. other than that, i think you can easily work it out. the best stuff for a type 2 diabetic is lots of whole foods, which is great for a vegan diet. and animal fat and dairy isn't good for most type 2 diabetics anyway!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

also, vegan food is kosher, especially for someone who is semi observant. so there you go.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:30 pm 
WRETCHED

My husband is super skinny, high metabolism, highly active. I'm chunky, somewhat active and I have PCOS/hypoglycemia. No kids involved though. I tend to eat complex carbs (lots of beans, veggies, etc) and some simple carbs (mostly fruits). I've found I have a little bit more leeway since I went vegan but highly refined carbs and added sugars are generally minimal for me on a daily basis. I tend to bulk my husband up with various foods including nut butter sandwiches, chips and salsa, rice/other whole grains while we share common dishes mostly bean and veggie based. On a daily basis, I may have 1-2 grain servings while my husband has 3-4 or more.

I like various cookbooks like Vegan with a Vengeance, Veganomicon and I like the blog http://blog.fatfreevegan.com

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:36 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

AFR has nutrition info which is awesome for type 2 diabetics to fit in with their meal plan. My kids (one has type 1 diabetes) like soups, chilis-seriously every chili in any form-I got them to eat brussel sprouts, anything pasta-my mom usually picks the pasta out and eats the sauce since she watches her carbs. The kids favorite soup is the lotsa veggie lentil one.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ijustdiedinside wrote:
also, vegan food is kosher, especially for someone who is semi observant. so there you go.

yup, easy peasy!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:14 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

ijustdiedinside wrote:
calling mollyjade!

Haha! I was just going to say, I'm diabetic (type 1, though), keep kosher, and I was once a child, even. I can't run worth a lick though.

This is actually not as hard as you might expect. Vegan is kosher enough. Lots of vegetables for the diabetic (the recommendation is usually fill up half the plate with veggies). Beans are great, too because they have lots of fiber and protein. Like linanil said, make extra carbohydrates available for the runner. This can just be an extra portion of pasta or bread, nothing complicated.

So really, you're looking for vegetable- and bean-heavy dishes that kids will eat. Chili, vegetable and seitan lasagna, black bean soup, stir-fry*, tacos (each person assembles their own), veggie and tofu/seitan kebabs with a whole grain, taco salad, black bean soup, chickpea cutlets.

*stir-fry is usually lots of rice/noodles and a bit of vegetables, and I like to reverse those proportions to keep the carbs down

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:16 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

@Aliks - What's AFR?

These sound like good ideas all around and a relief. One of the issues I'm facing is finding healthy kosher processed stuff, like vegetable broth or stock. My local store does not carry any kosher veggie broth or stock, only bouillon cubes, which are full of msg and sodium...yuck. I may have to order off online or there is a whole foods store all the way across town. Fresh fruits and veggies are automatically kosher, but even some frozen ones are not. He's observant enough that things need to be marked with a hecksher for it to be considered kosher, unless it's fresh and hasn't been processed.

On that note, I was wondering about products that have been certified vegan. Does this mean that their production has been overseen by some certification authority and you can be reasonably sure that they haven't been processed on the same equipment as anything containing meat or dairy? If that is the case, that might work as well, but I'd have to look into it.

I'm thinking I might start out by doing a week vegan, using recipes that I think the kids will enjoy, and monitoring his blood sugar closely to see if it jumps up or stays level. Then we can start to see what foods cause it to spike and what foods seem to be friendly. As far as the running goes, I guess I'll just have to keep snacks on hand for when/if my energy level drops.

All this and we're trying to lose weight too! LOL!

Thank you all for the great suggestions and help! I really do appreciate it! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:39 am 

redwarrrior wrote:
On that note, I was wondering about products that have been certified vegan. Does this mean that their production has been overseen by some certification authority and you can be reasonably sure that they haven't been processed on the same equipment as anything containing meat or dairy? If that is the case, that might work as well, but I'd have to look into it.

There's not really any oversight of the vegan certification. You send the company an ingredient list and a fee, and that's it.

Better Than Bouillion makes a kosher vegetable broth paste that would probably work, if you can find it. It's star K. Imagine Foods makes several kinds of vegan broth that are all OU, and it's pretty easy to find at health food stores and Whole Foods. And neither has any funky ingredients.

Edit. I think Frontier broth powder is also kosher certified.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:51 am 

redwarrrior wrote:
I'm thinking I might start out by doing a week vegan, using recipes that I think the kids will enjoy, and monitoring his blood sugar closely to see if it jumps up or stays level. Then we can start to see what foods cause it to spike and what foods seem to be friendly.

I also meant to say, this is exactly what I did when I went vegan. At the time there were no resources about being vegan and diabetic. I expected my a1c and bgs to go up, but they actually came down. I can't say for sure if it was diet or if it was other changes that happened about the same time, but either way, it's worked out fine for me.

Here's what the ADA says about vegan diets and diabetes. And this is a book about vegan diets and type 2 diabetes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

AFR-appetite for reduction.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:22 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Balancing peoples' portions of different things may be part of doing this. Like, say you're making whole grain pasta tossed with cherry tomatoes, white beans, spinach. Make the 'sauce' separate from the pasta. Portion out twice as much pasta for the runner, half as much with more veg for the diabetic, EB on the noodles, with the veggies and things separate for the kids. That way you're only making one meal, but you're balancing it in different ways to meet different needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

About the vegetable stock issue...why not make your own? It's easier than a lot of people think and you can customize it to your tastes. I make a huge batch and keep some in the fridge and freeze the rest. It keeps up to three months in the freezer.

If you're trying to lose weight, a great resource is www.fatfreevegan.com and as others mentioned the book "Appetite for Reduction" is great. But, really, almost all vegan food is healthy and will help you lose weight, unless you go with all the fake meats, cheeses, sour creams, ice creams, etc.

Bean and pasta dishes would be really great for the runner, I always combine the two in a dish, that way I get protein, fiber, and carbs all in one. Spaghetti and beanballs would be a great dish for you to make, as it will satisfy the kids, the runner, and everyone else.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:32 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

So far...so good!

So far, I've cooked a delicious lentil stew recipe from FFV and a broccoli curry udon recipe from this site and the kids and guy both loved them AND I was able to find kosher versions of everything I needed! Even better, the runner (me) felt satisified AND the diabetic (him) didn't see a change in blood sugar.

I discovered that the grocery store in the Jewish part of town not only had kosher versions of pretty much everything I needed, they also had a big natural food section. I had expected to need to go to a more specialized grocery store like Whole Foods for things like agave syrup, but I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to get everything in the same store and the bill was less than the previous week, even with a ton of fresh produce.

Yay! :)

Thank you all for the help!