| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I save this baking disaster?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

I was making apple cake and I didn't pay attention to the fact that the sugar needed to be divided and added it all in. I noticed before I added the dry to the wet, so I started that part over and made the cake successfully. I would rather not throw away the wet stuff that I made already, but I don't know enough to make my own recipe/modify one.

Right now that bowl has:
1.75 cups sugar
0.5 cup earth balance
0.75 cups applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla

I don't have enough apples for another apple cake (and I have a whole cake to deal with already), but I have basic baking stuff. I don't do chocolate, bananas, or alcohol, but otherwise if it's sweet, I probably like it.

Any ideas or should I toss it? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Can I save this baking disaster?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:06 pm 
Semen Strong

I found your post a bit confusing, can you give us a link to the recipe or more details as to how the sugar was supposed to be divided? Are the cake and the wet ingredients separate during baking (ie in two different layers). If they all ultimately get mixed in together, I'd probably just go for it, because you don't have enough for another apple cake anyway.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:18 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I think I would toss it. It seems like a lot of sugar to have to compensate for. If I was making cookies with that I would want to up the quantities of everything else.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

Oh, sorry about that.

Only 1.25 cups of sugar were supposed to get mixed in with the wet ingredients and the other 0.5 cup was supposed to be made into a cinnamon sugar mix that would go on top, so I put an extra half cup into the wet ingredients.

I didn't know if an extra half cup of sugar would ruin it, so I started over, but set that bowl aside. The cake isn't terribly sweet--it's the cinn-ful apple cake from The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes--but half a cup of sugar still seems like enough to throw things off. I might just try anyway, since the worst that happens is it doesn't work.

I can't find the recipe online, but it is available on the amazon preview for the book. I certainly don't expect anyone to go through that much trouble though, but if you're looking for opportunities to procrastinate, it's there. (It's also really good and I recommend it. I don't recommend being a dunderhead and not reading directions though.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:43 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Maybe some muffins?i would look through some muffin recipes and see what has similar amounts and go from there. Use the applesauce as either egg or oil replacer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:57 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I would have doubled the recipe and just made two cakes. If you did that now, you'd end up with three cakes in total, which is a lot. Could you freeze the extras and or take them to work?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:55 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

sounds like a good base for oat/granola bars. I would just add enough dry stuff (oats, nuts, coconut, wheat germ, etc) til it sticks together then press in a pan and bake at 350 til brown.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:55 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

How about just add enough flour, baking powder, and liquid in the morning to make pancakes.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:14 pm 
Hip Goiter

Make these! It makes a lot of cookies, but you already have most of the wet ingredients mixed, and they are amazing. I made them for Christmas along with a lot of other cookies and most people liked these the most.

http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/cowboy-cookies/

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:24 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, tofucheez has a good idea!. Alternatively, Maybe a quickbread? Like pumpkin?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:42 am 
Saggy Butt

Thank you so much for all the suggestions, everyone! I'll pick something after I get my grocery delivery today and let you know how it turns out. You all are the best. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:19 pm 
Saggy Butt

I went with the cowboy cookies RandiJM suggested and they worked out really well. I don't prefer them, because of the chocolate. But I picked them because, um, I owe roughly 10 million people gifts/food/tokens of appreciation and everyone else likes that stuff. I tried one and the texture was really good and I just gave a few to my landlady. I think people will enjoy them. (Also I put butterscotch chips in for part of the chocolate. I can't really taste them but whatever. They look nice.)

Thanks again for the help. :)