| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Freezing recipe w/ bechamel (lasagna)
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:13 am 
Nooch of Earl

I'm making casseroles ahead for when the baby comes, and was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with freezing vegan bechamels. I'm planning on a primavera lasagna - basically, spring veggies sauteed and mixed in with tofu ricotta, layered with noodles and bechamel sauce. No red sauce or whatever. I have no-cook lasagna noodles and know I'll probably have to make the sauce on the watery side, but does anyone have any experience freezing bechamel sauce in casseroles?

I've done soy bechamel before but want something really tasty because of the simplicity of the ingredients. Right now I'm thinking the cashew-based cream sauce used in Isa Does It's sweet potato gnocchi, with a mix of herbs in place of tarragon and minus the brussels sprouts.

I don't have any soy cheese to throw in right now.

Post subject: Re: Freezing recipe w/ bechamel (lasagna)
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:03 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Freezing a more or less "classic" bechamel (a white sauce with some sort of vegan milk) is not a problem.
I never tried freezing a cashew based sauce or tofu ricotta but the texture of tofu does change when you freeze it.
Maybe you can just try it by freezing a small portion of the dish (just a few tablespoons) and than thaw it the next day.
If it seems okay you can freeze the rest, or make a bigger portion to freeze later.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I freeze lots of tofu and cashew containing sauces without issue.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:24 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've occasionally had cashew-based sauces go a little separate-y in the freezer, but usually they're just fine (and the separated ones still tasted good - just looked a little less appealing). In my experience, the thicker the sauce the better it holds up to freezing. I like the idea of freezing a small portion of your sauce of choice to test it!

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:17 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

you might consider a cauliflower-based bechamel. they freeze and re-heat quite well from my experience.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

In Nonna's Italian Kitchen, Bryanna's bechamel/white sauce (my favourite!) is given with a gluten-free variation using mochiko/sweet rice flour instead of white flour in the roux, and she says this makes it freeze perfectly without separating/etc.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:00 am 
Nooch of Earl

Thanks all. I decided to take my chances with a cashew-based white sauce (I guess not a traditional bechamel in that it wasn't a roux, etc) and freeze the casseroles without baking.. If it's gross, I suppose we'll just order pizza! Freezing a little bit is a great idea, but I wanted to get some more things in the freezer ASAP! I think in a couple months I'm going to try to make a more serious effort at doing cook-ahead-and-freeze meals, though, and appreciate the suggestions. I can't wait to experiment more.. I've got a few good standbys that work well from the freezer, but need to expand my repertoire.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:12 am 
Chip Strong

If your sauce has cornstarch in it, that can get a little weird with freezing. It's not so much of an issue if it's a little sauce on top of something, but if you are really counting on it being creamy (for example, the glam chowder from IDI), the results might not be so good. Arrowroot or flour would be reasonable substitutions that are more freezer friendly.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:48 am 
Nooch of Earl

Nope, no cornstarch in the Isa Does It recipe (which is what I used, basically). Though yesterday I also made and froze some of the roasted red pepper mac & cheese so I hope that defrosts OK!!! Luckily I think that might be the only cornstarch-thickened thing I froze. Good thing I'll be exhausted and desperate, and can always fall back on cereal.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:42 am 
Chip Strong

I'm sure your mac and cheese won't be ruined -- my experience with the glam chowder is that it was very edible and the flavor wasn't altered, but the texture was a little weird and separated.