| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Soaked oats! You've been holding out on me!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

torque wrote:
i like both soaked rolled oats and soaked steel-cut oats (horse food, basically).... today i had a bowl with my flaxseed and about 2c of fresh berries. omg

I didn't know you could do this with steel cut oats, I don't know if I am brave enough, BUT, I soaked steel cut oats overnight last night and just discovered it only takes about five or six minutes to cook them in the morning from that state. I'm not complaining, this is a revelation to me!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:59 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Chicki wrote:
I should do this. I am pretty much and oat virgin. I eat a crappy instant (organic at least!) oatmeal most mornings. But if I can soak at night, and bring into work in a tupperware, that would be good!

Help me lose my oat virginity.

Just regular oats at the bulk bin/store right? not steel cut or instant or anything I am assuming.

Do like 1/4 cup oats + 1/2 cup soymilk? Good ratio? maybe a little more milk?

Do you guys add sugar or sweetners the night prior or the morning of? I will probably use vanilla soymilk since that is what I buy for my coffee anyways, so I won't need it all that sweeter. Looks like if I add nuts add the night before, unless I want them crunchy. Add fruit the next day too.

I used to LOVE musli when I was a kid. I think that my local bulk place sells it too, pre-mixed by the lb. Might try some of that too. I just have to watch the portions. That's why I do the crappy instant, it's only 150 calories....but if I measure out, I should be ok.

did i miss the answer to this question?! i definitely would rather buy oatmeal in bulk and make my own than rely on the instant kind. i can't eat muslin because i'm allergic to all nuts.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:05 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

bookwormbethie wrote:
Chicki wrote:
I should do this. I am pretty much and oat virgin. I eat a crappy instant (organic at least!) oatmeal most mornings. But if I can soak at night, and bring into work in a tupperware, that would be good!

Just regular oats at the bulk bin/store right? not steel cut or instant or anything I am assuming.

Do you guys add sugar or sweetners the night prior or the morning of? I will probably use vanilla soymilk since that is what I buy for my coffee anyways, so I won't need it all that sweeter. Looks like if I add nuts add the night before, unless I want them crunchy. Add fruit the next day too.

I used to LOVE musli when I was a kid. I think that my local bulk place sells it too, pre-mixed by the lb. Might try some of that too. I just have to watch the portions. That's why I do the crappy instant, it's only 150 calories....but if I measure out, I should be ok.

did i miss the answer to this question?! i definitely would rather buy oatmeal in bulk and make my own than rely on the instant kind. i can't eat muslin because i'm allergic to all nuts.

yeah, everyone pretty much said soak 1/2 cup oatmeal (regular old oatmeal) in 1 cup soymilk. Can add dried fruit or whatever. Some add sweetners and stuff in the morning.

Totally trying this next week.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:14 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I use plain old rolled oats. I eyeball the amount of oat milk I soak with. Just enough to barely cover everything.

One variation I like to do every now and then is to mix rolled oats, oat bran, applesauce, oat milk, raisins, walnuts, and cinnamon. I add some fresh ground flaxseed just before eating.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:18 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

bookwormbethie wrote:
i can't eat muslin because...

this typo is making me all giggly. :-)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:21 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I'll take this one step further... I like to soak rolled oats with ground flax, almond milk, dried fruit, sweetener and applesauce overnight, then BAKE the next morning. It's the best cold-weather breakfast ever.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:41 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

supercarrot wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
i can't eat muslin because...

this typo is making me all giggly. :-)

LOL, me too now that you pointed it out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Chicki wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
Chicki wrote:

yeah, everyone pretty much said soak 1/2 cup oatmeal (regular old oatmeal) in 1 cup soymilk. Can add dried fruit or whatever. Some add sweetners and stuff in the morning.

awesome, thank you! it sounds a bit odd to eat it cold, but perhaps once i try it i'll like it. i probably will heat it up in the microwave though. definitely will save time in the morning, cuz who has time in the morning to make oatmeal from scratch in a pot on the stove? not me!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:54 pm 
Nailed to the V

1strangegirlbygolly! wrote:
I didn't know you could do this with steel cut oats, I don't know if I am brave enough, BUT, I soaked steel cut oats overnight last night and just discovered it only takes about five or six minutes to cook them in the morning from that state.

If you bring the liquid to a boil, turn off heat and cover til morning, steel oats will work fine for this overnight method...I boil for 2 minutes because I like them a little more tender.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:16 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Soaked oats question:

it's super hot where I live, and cold oats in the morning sound awesome. I will try. But soon it will be getting colder (I freaking HOPE. Jeez.) and will want a warm breakfast

Would these be any good soaked overnight, then heated up in the microwave mid morning?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:19 pm 
WELFARIST!

Chicki wrote:
Soaked oats question:

it's super hot where I live, and cold oats in the morning sound awesome. I will try. But soon it will be getting colder (I freaking HOPE. Jeez.) and will want a warm breakfast

Would these be any good soaked overnight, then heated up in the microwave mid morning?

Someone upthread mentioned that they bake theirs in the morning. You might be able to try that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Chicki wrote:
Soaked oats question:

Someone upthread mentioned that they bake theirs in the morning. You might be able to try that.

No oven, only a microwave. I would cook oats all night in my slow cooker and eat when I wake up, but I am always nausous in the morning, I can't really eat until around 9am at the earliest, and I am at work by then.

I have not had any luck re-heating COOKED oatmeal. Comes out all gloopy and gross. But I am wondering if I can heat up cold-soaked oatmeal. Well, only one way to find out I guess!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't see why you couldn't cook soaked oatmeal in the microwave... I think the trick is not to do it for too long, so it doesn't get rubbery. I don't have any advice as to how long you should nuke it for, because I own an oven but not a microwave! Let us know if it comes out weird or not. :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 pm 

do it and report back! :-)

i have my "little dipper" and a timer. i'll let you know how it goes in the morning. (i'm assuming soymilk will not work in the freezer, so i'll take some frozen cherries and use those to extend the coldness of the crockpot instead. i'll reconstitute some raisins and freeze those for future experiments if it goes well today.) i bet letting the crock absorb coldness from some ice water would also help. (and when it gets colder, i can leave the crock out on the porch for a few hours in the evening before setting up the oats for the night.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:44 pm 
Nailed to the V

Re: heating in the a.m.

I currently heat my soaked steel cuts up in the morning after soaking all night. I throw in some raisins, put on the stove burner on low-medium for couple of minutes and it heats them up perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:13 am 

ok. i tried the greenway rolled oats at 1/2 cup to 1 cup of smilk and 4 frozen cherries. set the little dipper to go on at 7:30 and off at 9:30, and then had a bad night sleep and just woke up at 10:45. it's very smooshy and stuck a little to the sides.

i'll try it again with real ice cubes that turn into water and possibly a shorter cooking time. i think the fact that the lid is lightweight plastic means that i need a little more liquid. (or i might weigh it down with something. maybe the lunch crock would be better for this application. it might have fewer hot spots. but i don't have one of those.)

tomorrow i'll try it with mccann's steel cut oats and 1.5 hours cooking time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Chicki wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
Chicki wrote:

redundant dumb question i'm sure, but i'm guessing i need to try it to see for myself, but does the 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (i used quaker brand) really soak up the 1 cup soymilk in the fridge over night?????

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It almost does! The thicker nut milk you use the thicker the oatmeal will come out. And if you feel like you want it thicker just use less milk next time. My husband loves it when there is extra milk left. Its a sweet cinnamon milk at the end!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:18 pm 

1/2 c rolled oats + 1.25 cup water + 1/2 frozen banana cooked in mini crockpot for 1.5 hours and then left to sit for 5 hours before eating is utterly terrible. do not do what i did. (cooked soaked oatmeal on weekends is a bad idea.)

i won't be able to do the steel cut experiment soon. i realised the box of mccann's i have is rolled.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

GraciaKai wrote:
It almost does! The thicker nut milk you use the thicker the oatmeal will come out. And if you feel like you want it thicker just use less milk next time. My husband loves it when there is extra milk left. Its a sweet cinnamon milk at the end!

good to know!

i made it fresh on the stove on saturday and sunday (raisins, banana, cinnamon, and ground flax seeds added), and OMG, a million times better than instant oatmeal. i can't wait to try the overnight method!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That looks yummy.

If I want hot oatmeal I take rolled oats and water and microwave it for three minutes. Good to go perfect hot oatmeal. If I want it cold when its hot out I soak it overnight so its ready in the morning. I cant remember the last time I made it on the stove.

Last year for thanksgiving morning I made pumpkin pie steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight. That was mega delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:35 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I am no longer a soaked oats virgin! popped that cherry today.

1/4 cup rolled oats + 3/4 cup Light Vanilla Soymilk overnight, in the fridge, in Tupperware. Most was soaked up, so I added a bit more.

Took it to work this morning, and ate around 9am with some sliced strawberries.

it was really good! you definitely get a different texture with cold soaked oats, rather than cooked oats. It was more like a cold cereal I guess. I liked the texture! It could have been sweeter though, even though I am not a person that likes super sweet stuff (the only reason I have vanilla soymilk is for smoothies and coffee). I did add a splenda.

Tomorrow, I will make again, but I am going to add some cinnamon! Then maybe some brown sugar and maple syrup Also, at some point this week, I will try re-heating in the microwave at work...but not until I am out of strawberries.

So yeah, success. Way cheaper than instant, much better for the environment (no excess waste products), less sugar and other yucky stuff, and not really any less convenient than instant. You just pour and soak the night before.

When you add nuts, do you guys just add raw chopped nuts? My portion is really small...I couldn’t find pre-chopped nuts or dried fruit in the bulk bins. It could use some texture besides fresh fruit (I will run out/get bored of that fast)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Not sure if brown sugar would be good in the cold oatmeal because it may just stay kind of grainy and not melt. But maple syrup works really well and is yummy. For nuts I normally add walnut pieces or peanuts. They are both small enough that it's not an issue and I just don't buy my walnuts in bulk. I get a bag of pieces instead. Almond slivers would be good too if you can find those in bulk.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:17 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

GraciaKai wrote:
Not sure if brown sugar would be good in the cold oatmeal because it may just stay kind of grainy and not melt. But maple syrup works really well and is yummy. For nuts I normally add walnut pieces or peanuts. They are both small enough that it's not an issue and I just don't buy my walnuts in bulk. I get a bag of pieces instead. Almond slivers would be good too if you can find those in bulk.

Thanks! good call on the brown sugar. That would be gross.

And I do have almond slivers and walnuts I think in my nuts drawer (haha i have a nut drawer). I'll try adding those!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:36 pm 

brown sugar might be good if put in at night time and allowed to dissolve in the fridge.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next