| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What to do with Zucchini ?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:23 pm 
Saggy Butt

molly, could you post that zucchini bread recipe please? I tried veganizing two different recipes - one lemon & one chocolate zuke bread - and loved the taste but they came out gummy. I have a couple zucchini in the fridge that I want to make bread with but I need to find a good recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:46 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I made this recipe often last year.. my family raved about it and it's everyone's go-to zucchini bread now! Works well for muffins, too.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/kingmans-v ... etail.aspx

ETA: I usually cut the white sugar in half and used 1/2c oil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:09 pm 
Saggy Butt

thanks! that's where I got those other recipes from, must have overlooked that one!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I love grilled zucchini in lunch sandwiches, packed also with grilled red pepper and arugula. But when I want something more hmm substantial I make this casserole (scroll down for English version), since it tastes great in room temperature. Also zucchini and dill chilled soup from Urban Vegan cookbook is great.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:11 pm 
Tofu Pup

I LOVE the zucchini cheez soup from the uncheese cookbook!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My farmer's market (2 whole stands, woo nj small town) has been giving me free produce if I buy anything from them. I got 6 roma tomatoes and 6 or so yellow squash over the past few weeks. Plus I've got several from my own garden.

Anyhow, I already made bread, and will make my favorite soup, but need more ideas. This thread has some good ones! I think I'd like stuffed squash or maybe moroccan stew. Or maybe zucchini cheez soup. I'll probably end up making whatever is easiest.

Here's my favorite soup recipe: Zucchini Potato Cilantro Soup. It is hands down the best soup I've ever had.

I also really like this Zucchini Potato Lemon-Thyme Mash, but I've already made it a few times this summer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:52 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Cut into 1/4" thick, diagonal slices, brush it with a little oil, and grill; sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and serve. It's so simple, but so good!
spaceage wrote:
I love grilled zucchini in lunch sandwiches, packed also with grilled red pepper and arugula. But when I want something more hmm substantial I make this casserole (scroll down for English version), since it tastes great in room temperature. Also zucchini and dill chilled soup from Urban Vegan cookbook is great.
That looks great; I'm definitely making this (maybe even tonight)!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:29 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Ok, I've made grilled zucchini, pasta with sautéed zucchini, zucchini cake, V'con Medeteranian Tomato and Zucchini Fritters, spiralized zucchini pasta in fresh tomato sauce, and spiralized zucchini noodles in Asian marinade. I have a zucchini that is looking more like a watermelon than a zucchini, and lots of smaller ones. I think I'll have to make zucchini cubes wrapped in zucchini strips, simmered in zucchini sauce, served on a bed of shredded zucchini and sprinkled with diced zucchini if I'm going to work my way through all of it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:38 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I made this recipe last night and loved it: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunn ... index.html
I used homemade vegan Parmesan and dried thyme and rosemary (didn't have any fresh thyme).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:13 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I think I'll have to make zucchini cubes wrapped in zucchini strips, simmered in zucchini sauce, served on a bed of shredded zucchini and sprinkled with diced zucchini if I'm going to work my way through all of it!

heeheehee!

While searching for a good stuffed zucchini recipe I came across this one for red lentil zucchini soup. It looks very easy and comforting for this rainy day so I think I'll make that tonight.

I want to stuff the zucchini with quinoa and italian-flavor-marinated tempeh. Between making the quinoa, the tempeh, and then baking the stuffed squash, it is going to take a long time! So I think I'll try it Sunday when I'm stuck inside from Irene.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

zucchini fritters or a cheezy zucchini gratin! Fritters can be refrigerated/freeze to last throughout the week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Zucchini and chickpea curry, Vegan Brunch's Spelt Zucchini Muffins, or, even better - there's a thing in Viva Vegan that uses a cumin? lime? and beer marinade, and you grill the zucchini in the grill pan. Beaaautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:23 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Our Veggie Kitchen has a lot of great zuccini recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:50 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

B_A_D wrote:
Arisaig wrote:
Do you have AFR? There are a few recipes in there that use zucchini. Black bean and olive tacos are my favourite - I freeze the filling in lunch-sized servings and then bring a tortilla along to wrap it in.

ETA - heading to Pete's now, hope they have some zucchini left for the Morroccan chickpea stew I am going to make for the Scout pot luck today.

It's in the reduced produce section, they also had some summer squash which was a good bye and cheap cherries but it seems 1 in every packet had mold.

Come to my house and grab some free ones from the garden...... I've got more than I know what to do with.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I love zucchini roasted -- and tonight I sliced zucchini fairly thin and roasted in oven. they became really thin and a little crispy and yummy.

BUT, I read this idea on a GF blog last week (can't remember which one) and it's awesome!!! Grate some zucchini and put it in your oatmeal when you're cooking it. The GF blog said add 1/2 cup of grated zuke to one serving of oatmeal, but I"ve been putting in 1 cup and I love it. Let it cook a while with the oatmeal and it gets really soft and indistinguishable from the oatmeal but adds lots of bulk. It practically doubles the volume. I've had it every morning this week and love it. I also add cinnamon, cloves, maple syrup, and fruit. Try it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:37 am 
WRETCHED

Cut zucchini into half moon slices. Sautee some garlic and onion in olive oil. Add zucchini slices, stir and cover for a few minutes then add cooked hominy. Cook until zucchini softens just slightly and hominy should be warm. Serve with beans and add hot sauce/salsa as needed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:01 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

with zucchini or yellow squash (i prefer it with yellow squash and frankly, i can NEVER have enough zucchini!)

slice into strips, dredge in flour/seasoning, dip in soymilk/mustard combo, and cover in tempura breadcrumbs (or your favorite breadcrumbs... i just like these best!) bake on a greased cookie sheet at around 400 degrees (depending on your oven). Flip after 10-12 minutes and put back for another 10-12 (or longer! keep an eye on them, they should be golden brown, not burnt). serve with your favorite condiments and a dash of hot sauce! i call them yellow squash tenders. delicious and crispy :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:05 am 
Chip Strong

I think there used to be a recipe on here (or maybe it was vegweb) but basically you just saute up some zucchini and boil udon noodles and make a peanut sauce and dump it all together. Maybe I'm not making it sound that great but I have made it a million times and I love it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

AmandaMelanie wrote:
B_A_D wrote:
Arisaig wrote:
Do you have AFR? There are a few recipes in there that use zucchini. Black bean and olive tacos are my favourite - I freeze the filling in lunch-sized servings and then bring a tortilla along to wrap it in.

ETA - heading to Pete's now, hope they have some zucchini left for the Morroccan chickpea stew I am going to make for the Scout pot luck today.

It's in the reduced produce section, they also had some summer squash which was a good bye and cheap cherries but it seems 1 in every packet had mold.

Come to my house and grab some free ones from the garden...... I've got more than I know what to do with.

WHY DID I NOT SEE THIS SOONER?

(I'm home with Mutant Strep Throat)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:28 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'd suggest cooking them to a vegan pasta sauce with some tomatoes :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 am 
Smuggling Raisins

i had an interesting dish recently. i didn't make it myself, but i think i could guess in the eating..

it seemed to be raw zucchini, sliced thin and cut into little triangles (as opposed to half moons) and then some pickles were sliced the same way, and they were tossed together with some pickle marinade, that included some herb and mustard seeds. it was very tasty! the pickle had a nice bite in contrast with the zucchini, good combo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Zucchini Brownies!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

I like to sautee zucchini with squash, mushrooms and garlic and put it over couscous. Yum.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:18 am 
Tofu Pup

kdub wrote:
The stuffed zucchini from vwav or chipotle lentil burgers from afr!!

Oh yes, I love thesee stuffed zucchini boats!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Rubella wrote:
I think there used to be a recipe on here (or maybe it was vegweb) but basically you just saute up some zucchini and boil udon noodles and make a peanut sauce and dump it all together. Maybe I'm not making it sound that great but I have made it a million times and I love it!

I do this, only I add onion and maybe some other veg to the saute, and the peanut sauce I make is with silken tofu, peanut butter, garlic, ginger and soy sauce all blended together. Zucchini with noodles and sauce is definitely a good combination.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot