| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sugar Cookie recipe?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:32 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Can anyone recommend a sugar cookie recipe? Or any kind of recipe I can roll out and decorate?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Sugar Cookie recipe?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:56 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

There is a really good recipe in Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.

I often use NoWhey's recipe - posted on our old forum. Can't seem to link to our archive - reposted below.

For "egg replacer" I subbed 1 (heaping) T soy flour mixed with 1 T (warm) water.

NoWhey’s Sugar Cookies
http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/vi ... p?id=23000

2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

egg replacer = to 1 egg
4 teaspoons soymilk
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add egg replacer; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in soymilk. Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Chill at least 1 hour.

On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thickness (one half at a time, while chilling other half). Cut in desired shapes. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool slightly, remove from pan. Cool all the way before frosting. Makes 2 dozen (depending on cookie cutters).

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:40 am 

Padraigin wrote:
There is a really good recipe in Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar.

I often use NoWhey's recipe - posted on our old forum. Can't seem to link to our archive - reposted below.

For "egg replacer" I subbed 1 (heaping) T soy flour mixed with 1 T (warm) water.

NoWhey’s Sugar Cookies
http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/vi ... p?id=23000

2/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

egg replacer = to 1 egg
4 teaspoons soymilk
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add egg replacer; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in soymilk. Sift together dry ingredients; blend into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Chill at least 1 hour.

On lightly floured surface, roll to 1/8 inch thickness (one half at a time, while chilling other half). Cut in desired shapes. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 375 about 6 to 8 minutes. Cool slightly, remove from pan. Cool all the way before frosting. Makes 2 dozen (depending on cookie cutters).

Enjoy!

Thanks! I didn't think to look in Vegan Cookies - I think I'll give that one a go.

Spooky cookies, here I come!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:23 pm 

As an alternative, I've been using this one for years:

PERFECT VEGAN SUGAR COOKIE RECIPE
This makes about 36 cookies.

1 cup margarine
3 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 whole egg replacements (Ener-G)
1/4 cup tofu cream cheese (Tofutti)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Stir in the egg replacements and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and tofu cream cheese. You may have to use your hands at this point to finish the mixing. Form the dough into a long loaf and wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate for a couple hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the cookie sheets or use a non-stick foil.
3. On a lightly floured surface (we taped down a sheet of non-stick foil to our countertop instead), roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place about 1 inch apart cookie on sheets.
4. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottoms and edges just start to get light brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

They come out sort of crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. People can't get enough of them!

Photo from last year's batch:

Sugar Cookies, Frosted by Christina Maki, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:12 pm 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i'm really in the mood to make some sugar cookies. not today, but soon.

i think i'm going to give nowhey's recipe a go, maybe using the royal icing recipe that is on john & kristie's site (where the "perfect vegan sugar cookie" recipe comes from). now, to collect the cookie cutters...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:56 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

whatever recipe you end up using add some lemon zest.

this is possibly true of most food come to think of it, but particularly sugar cookies. so good!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I use this recipe. I have tried a bunch of different vegan sugar cookie recipes, and I've found that Ener-G is a very bad egg replacer in sugar cookies, unless you're going to eat them all in like 72 hrs. They dry out very bad with Ener-G, so for holiday gift giving when I'm making cookies in advance, they have to stay nice and fresh for more than a few days, thus Ener-G doesn't work. Nondairy yogurt or pureed tofu work well and stay moist.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

fresh_paint wrote:

1 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Stir in the egg replacements and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and tofu cream cheese. You may have to use your hands at this point to finish the mixing. Form the dough into a long loaf and wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate for a couple hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease the cookie sheets or use a non-stick foil.
3. On a lightly floured surface (we taped down a sheet of non-stick foil to our countertop instead), roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place about 1 inch apart cookie on sheets.
4. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottoms and edges just start to get light brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks. Store in an airtight container.

They come out sort of crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. People can't get enough of them!

I've been looking forward to my first attempt at vegan sugar cookies, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to follow this recipe. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:20 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

fresh_paint wrote:

1 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar

Directions:

so pretty! What recipe did you use for the icing?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

For Halloween, I made the "Buttery Lemon Cutout Cookies" from VWAV, omitting the lemon zest. They were delicious. I just picked up some almond meal, and when I make them for Christmas, I'm going to sub some of that for the flour and switch vanilla extract to almond.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

fresh_paint wrote:

1 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar

Directions:

I use this recipe too! So good, and it makes a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:51 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

The amazingly soft sugar cookies from The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur are my all time favorite and has ingredients I always have on hand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:17 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

no whey's recipe just didn't do it for me. maybe because the egg replacer i used was ener-g. they weren't bad. they just weren't excellent.

i've got the sugar cookie dough from VCIYCJ chilling in the fridge. i'm excited to see how they turn out. i've had nothing but luck with the cookies from this book.