| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So I got inspired about Caribbean food . . .
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:01 am 
Tofu Pup

I made a pretty good vegan carribean dinner the other night. Super simple, super cheap, tasty, and pretty to look at.

Black Beans and Yellow Rice (Cuban?)

yellow rice:
White rice
Achiote seed or saffron (clear plastic packets of mexican spices at your grocery store or a latin market) and/or yellow food coloring
or, yellow rice packet (or half and half)
salt and oil, or vegan margarine
green peas
minced red bell pepper or red pimento pieces from jar

Simmer the saffron or achiote in water until it is orange. Use a teaball or cheesecloth to contain these or just strain out later. Add additional yellow food coloring if needed. This color should be strong orange. Add the rice, oil and salt or butter. Bring to a boil and then turn off burner and keep lid on.

black beans
Soak black beans overnight and cook most of the day in slow cooker on low. Or get a couple cans at the store. Add garlic and cumin. Do not go overboard on either, you can always add more. Add a couple tablespoons of oil or vegan non trans fat margarine too.

When you know the rice is very close to being done, throw in the minced red pepper or pimento and green peas on top of the rice and put the lid back on. The peas should be just barely heated through so they have their bright green color.

Serve the yellow rice with black beans (pick the beans up in a slotted spoon to drain liquid, the juice will color everything otherwise), looks beautiful. This is not spicy - kids and picky people like it. Serve with hot sauce at table if people want to spice it up. Simple salad of lettuce, tomato, cucumber with some lime juice as dressing. Fried bananas for dessert! For beverage, coffee, a fruit drink with rum in it, a mojito, or coconut milk thinned with cool water and topped with allspice, mace or nutmeg.

I don't know how authentic this is but it fits the bill when I want something tropical : )

The rice and beans make great easy leftovers, lunch, etc.

Post subject: Re: So I got inspired about Caribbean food . . .
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:34 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

sounds delicious! i was hoping that you said you cooked up some canned akkee( sans salt cod). ive had a can of it in the pantry for a few years now and ive not opened it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:42 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I haven't had ackee and anything in years, but I used to love it. If I can find a can here I'll do up some ackee and salttofu and tell you how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

You should check out Taymer's book Caribbean Vegan if you want authentically Caribbean food. I don't have it yet(it's next on my list), but I've heard lots of good things about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Some day I will. It's not that high on my list of priorities, though, because most of the tropical produce we get this far north is pretty shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

efmac wrote:
I haven't had ackee and anything in years, but I used to love it. If I can find a can here I'll do up some ackee and salttofu and tell you how it goes.

My grams mails me ackee almost weekly and I have quite a few cans in my pantry (she lives in south florida). If you can't find any where you are I would gladly mail you a few cans. PM me if you like!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

gaia13 wrote:
You should check out Taymer's book Caribbean Vegan if you want authentically Caribbean food. I don't have it yet(it's next on my list), but I've heard lots of good things about it.

Seconding gaia13 here. The cookbook is just wonderful.