| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: green smoothies, aka I want to like kale in my fruit
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:29 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

There was a great thread on the old boards about different sure-to-convert-the-skeptical green smoothie recipes, which I ignored at the time thinking "kale in my fruit, gross". However, after a few months of too much gluten and sugar, I want a change. Does anyone still have that post archived? Otherwise, can this be a place to share favourite combinations of fruits/greens/other goodies (flax, oats, what are other good additions?)

Also, does an immersion blender work well for smoothies? Any troubleshooting techniques?

Post subject: Re: green smoothies, aka I want to like kale in my fruit
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:41 am 
Huffs Nooch

I never tried kale, but I found baby spinach isn't too obtrusive a flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I would recommend starting out slow and gradually increasing the veggie-to-fruit ratio (at least I needed to, but now I toss in all sorts of veggies). Here's some good recipes: http://www.rawfamily.com/recipes. I have the app, too, and like it. I'm no help on the blenders, I have a Vitamix and have no idea how others would handle kale.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:02 am 
Chard Martyr

Yes, maybe try baby spinach first. It's a tad sweeter.
I do like kale and spinach, but if kale puts you off and you still want to do greens, spinach is great.

Here is a small thread on some good combinations: http://forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1534&hilit=green+smoothies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 am 

Thanks, everyone. Meggs, I was trying to find that thread, but when I put "green" and "smoothie" in the search function it strangely did not emerge. So thank you for digging it up.

Baby spinach it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:31 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I started with baby spinach, but I prefer kale, but it is hard to get kale blended in well w/o a vitamix, I think.

Anyway, basic green smoothie - start with 1 cup water, 1 banana, 1 kale leaf, 1 cup some other kind of fruit. I like berries, but if you're using kale I find that kale goes well with pineapple too. You can also sub the water with milk or juice.

ALSO, some people like them thicker and I've realized I like them thinner so they're more like juice, so play with consistency.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Try some swiss chard too as an alternative to the spinach--smaller greens/stems if you can get them. I've been making green smoothies with chard and kale from the garden and I'm really loving the fresh clean taste!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 am 

I used to put kale in my smoothies (been using baby spinach now), and while I was fine with the graininess, it wasn't usually something I'd give to other people. My question is, do you guys leave the stem on the kale or cut the leaves off? I used to put the whole damn leaf in it, but now I wonder if people just use the leaf.

Formerly rad.badger

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yesterday I tried kale in my green smoothie and it didnt blend all the way and I was sad. Baby spinach all the way for me!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:11 am 
stop: can't. won't. don't.

i haven't had greens in my smoothies for a while now and i realized how much i was missing it! i got back together with spinach this morning.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:49 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I like chard in my smoothies...it also seems to blend better with my immersion blender! But, if you're okay really working your immersion blender kale will blend up okay...but you'll definitely have some fiber to chew on. If I'm putting greens in my smoothie I usually rinse the leaves, rip the stems out and fold them up at the bottom of whatever I'm blending in with a banana on top, frozen fruit on top of that and then almond butter and juice. Having the hard stuff on top seems to make using the immersion blender to make smoothies work better, but you need to be able to push down and totally submerge it so you don't make a mess. My boyfriend swears that kale/banana/blueberry smoothies with almond milk taste like chocolate milkshakes. So you could try that on for size?

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have a green smoothie or juice every day, but don't like them with kale or spinach. i put a whole bunch of parsley or cilantro in, and it's great. typical smoothie for me is juice of 5 oranges, two bananas, and bunch of greens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:58 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

When I use kale, I do two big handfuls of chopped/torn leaves (de-stemmed!), a banana, mango, pineapple, brown rice protein powder, ground flax, and enough water to get it all going. Sometimes I use frozen fruit and sometimes I just add ice.

You could start with one handful (which is about a cup, I think) of kale to get used to the taste. I think maybe blending the kale and banana with some water before throwing everything else in helps too. I have an Oster blender and it works fine! The only thing I hate that it won't blend is raspberry seeds.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:33 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It sounds odd, but I think collard greens have the most neutral flavor in smoothies. If you don't have a high powered blender, you probably want to strip the stems out. I especially like banana, frozen strawberry, flax seeds, rice milk, and collard green smoothies.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I like kale better than spinach too. My favorite fruit with it is a combo of pear and frozen banana. I have been missing my smoothies lately too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:05 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I like similar smoothies as Amy and Dearess, and like either kale or baby spinach, but I probably prefer spinach at this point. I had a smoothie with too much kale the other day, and it kind of turned me off.

I like to add the kale (leaves, no stems) and some almond milk and blend that first. I feel like blending it before adding the other stuff gets it better blended, and I'm not chewing the smoothie as much.

Then I'll add frozen banana, rice protein powder, frozen mango, and a little peanut butter or flax meal.

Edited for sense-making.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

mel c wrote:
It sounds odd, but I think collard greens have the most neutral flavor in smoothies.

i also use collards, but mostly because for most of the year it's my easiest green to access. it doesn't take much to get a goodly amount of greens if you use collards, too.
i used to make a good one with guavas and collards and a banana.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Green smoothies are amazing. loove them. I make ginormous smoothies, but my ingredients are.....half almond milk/half water, spinach, carrots, celery, zucchini, frozen banana, frozen strawberry, frozen blueberry, a lil agave, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. I can't even taste the veggies and I use quite a bit in my smoothies. They are gut busters for sure, and I do drink the whole pitcher. The energy and feeling of vitality they give are amazing though. I sometimes use flax seeds, but find the taste does make the smoothie a little less bearable.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:33 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

HBHO wrote:
Green smoothies are amazing. loove them. I make ginormous smoothies, but my ingredients are.....half almond milk/half water, spinach, carrots, celery, zucchini, frozen banana, frozen strawberry, frozen blueberry, a lil agave, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. I can't even taste the veggies and I use quite a bit in my smoothies. They are gut busters for sure, and I do drink the whole pitcher. The energy and feeling of vitality they give are amazing though. I sometimes use flax seeds, but find the taste does make the smoothie a little less bearable.

Do you juice the veggies, have a vitamix or just throw it all in a regular blender?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:00 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I like baby lettuce mix in my smoothies you can't even taste it!

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:26 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

I love kale in my green smoothies. I've found that it seems to blend best if you blend your kale and water/almond milk/etc first, so the kale can get good and blended, then add the rest of your ingredients and blend again. Once I started doing this, I wasn't having as much trouble with the greens being stringy/chewy and not blended. Also, I'll use the stems on the kale if they're small, but if they're bigger than say a pencil, I'll strip the leaves. I've also used both a regular blender and an immersion, and both work well as long as you have a cup deep enough for your immersion blender.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:30 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

ndpittman wrote:
HBHO wrote:

Do you juice the veggies, have a vitamix or just throw it all in a regular blender?

I actually have a 30 dollar blender. What I do, is put in the milk/water, then dice the carrots, celery fairly small. Blend. Add spinach and zucchini. Blend. Add frozen bananas, blend. Etc. It's a little bit of a process, but it does get it all done!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:34 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

i started noticing that baby spinach tasted sulfur-y in my smoothies so I switched to kale. i can't do chard or beet greens or even collards - blech.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:31 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I don't know if this makes a big impact on the amount of nutrients etc., but I freeze my greens and then blend them with some frozen and fresh fruit. I find that kale breaks up really easily this way and all you get is the fresh green taste.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:33 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Momo wrote:
I like baby lettuce mix in my smoothies you can't even taste it!

Same with romaine lettuce! That's what I started with.

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next