| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Donut recipes for commercial use?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:56 am 
Saggy Butt

One of my coworkers is leaving to go run a donut shop in Florida. I think it might actually be this one:

http://www.fraysdonuthouse.com/

since he said it was called Fray's and is near St. Petersburg.

I told him he should consider making vegan donuts because vegans will totally go out of their way to get vegan stuff (I will anyway!) He seemed really open to the idea. Unlike Dunkin Donuts they actually bake everything on site each day.

Does anyone know of a good vegan donut recipe that might work well in larger quantities for a donut shop?

Post subject: Re: Donut recipes for commercial use?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I would love to hear info on this. Our local donut shop started making vegan donuts, using some kind of commercial mix. They were delicious donuts! But then, they were not able to re-order the mix because the supplier instituted a very large minimum order that was unsustainable.

I'd like to pass on any commercial-style recipes that she can use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Sara Beth Russert from Mighty-O recently won the Food Network Challenge with vegan donuts. There's an interview and recipe in this month's Vegan Cullinary Experience. It's a for cake donuts, but it's a start... http://www.veganculinaryexperience.com/VCEJuly11.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:40 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

This is such great info. I'm going to print this out and bring it to my donut shop. Thank you a million times!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:38 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Angie V. wrote:
Sara Beth Russert from Mighty-O recently won the Food Network Challenge with vegan donuts. There's an interview and recipe in this month's Vegan Cullinary Experience. It's a for cake donuts, but it's a start... http://www.veganculinaryexperience.com/VCEJuly11.pdf

Whooooooooah! Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:22 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I wish we could get the recipe for Ronald's Donuts in Vegas...they are the best vegan donut Ive ever had...Im sick of the local cake donuts & even Posh bakeries cake donuts (which are pretty awesome but more expensive now), I want raised donuts and screw paying like $3 for a single one just cause its organic and non-GMO and the only choice in town...give me a 80 cent Ronald's raised donut any day. Classic donut taste at classic donut prices, thats what I want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:12 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

The reason that Ronald's taste as it does isn't necessarily because of the recipe, but the equipment they use, which is better suited for mass production. The reason that donuts at home never taste as good is because we'll never get our home equipment (cast iron pan, deep fryer or mini-donut maker) to be as consistent as the professional stuff. Mostly, our donuts will fry unevenly and soak up too much oil and end up tasting more like a zeppoli, which is fine, but not that light, perfect donut taste and texture we're used to. I believe Voodoo's donuts started tasting more like traditional donuts when they upgraded their equipment. Mighty-O still works in small batch equipment (as far as I know.)

That being said, Ronald's also uses hydrogenated oils, which just tastes "better." I'm into paying a little extra for better ingredients, and I enjoy MIghty-O donuts like crazy. I think they're charging what they're worth in order to stay in business, and I appreciate that they're organic, non-hydrogenated and all that jazz.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:10 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I just realized I didn't give actual advice to the OP.

I would use their regular donut recipe and just replace the eggs with either a flax egg or plain, unsweetened soy yogurt and replace the milk with unsweetened plain almond or soy milk. If that recipe is already perfect then these small subs should be just fine.