| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ridiculously easy meals.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

boring story even more boring: i am not well; i can barely get out of bed, or stand up from a sitting position, let alone cook.
the solution? eat.
you can see my problem.
what sorts of things can i consume that require as little preparation as possible?
i have some easy things, like mini bean burritos, cereal and almond milk, tempeh bacon and rice cakes..
unfortunately, my partner can't just bring me food, since he works from noon until 8pm.
help?

Post subject: Re: ridiculously easy meals.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:02 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Is your partner willing to cook for you? If so, some big pots of soup like the AFR pea soup would be great. After a day or so, assuming there are still leftovers, its thick enough to eat in a pita. It is pretty easy to make. A double batch could be whipped in about an hour and would give you lunches for most of the week.

Chili is another good one, or a lasagna. Lasagna can easily be cut into single portions, wrapped in foil, and kept in the fridge for very convenient meals.

Couscous (just pour boiling water over the couscous, let it sit 5 minutes), add some canned, rinsed chickpeas, and then toss in some salad dressing. Your partner could make a big bowl of this for you before work. It's yummy, filling, and reasonably nutritious, especially if you add in some greens and/or veggies.

Else, lots of frozen meals like Amy's. I've been there, and the Amy's meals are a lifesaver.

I hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

The No Queso Quesadillas and English Muffin Pizzas from Vegan Table are super quick and have little preparation. I also dip everything that is dippable into hummus sometimes and call it a meal, crackers, corn chips, veggies, what have you. For snacks I usually pop some popcorn in a pot over the stove.

Also, stir fry can be pretty quick and easy, I'm super lazy/poor sometimes and will just buy a bag of frozen veggies and fry them up in vegetable broth with cubes of tofu.

The Themysciran - my geek blog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:32 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Coconut water will help keep you hydrated. I also second the Amy's meals. Kashi has a couple of good vegan ones. If your partner can't bring you food, I think your best bet is cereal or toast. That's what I lived on my first few days home and I had my sister here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:34 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yup. I still can't eat Amy's baked ziti because I lived off that after surgery. It's really delicious, so hopefully one day it will be appetizing again.

I also had Heinz canned spaghetti and microwave baked potatoes with microwaved baked beans, EB and notch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oatmeal may be a good idea, since you could make it in the microwave in no time. Just be sure to add in stuff like peanut butter, soymilk, dried fruit, banana, or whatever else you like to make it substantial enough to get you healthier.

Also if you like it you can eat beans and rice with minimal effort, get some cans of beans, get your partner to make a big pot of rice sometime, get some avocado slices to put on top or something, and then you have a meal that you can eat whenever, assuming you don't mind it cold or you have a microwave or something.

Smoothies may be a good option if you don't feel like eating but need to. Again, get your partner to cut up a bunch of fruits if you don't feel up to it so when you need a smoothie you can just pull some of the fruit out and blend it with some soymilk and rice protien or whatever you like in smoothies.
Good luck to you.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:58 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm sorry you are not well. You have posted about your struggles a few times. If you are now in a place where you can no longer care for yourself, maybe you need some professional help that can deal with your immediate needs.

To answer your question, perhaps you need to step away from the idea of eating "meals" if they are too difficult for you to prepare and just concentrate on getting calories until you are in a better place.

I was thinking odwalla-type juices & smoothies with added protein powder, energy/protein bars, granola bars, bananas, PB & J sandwiches, tofu dogs eaten out of the package with mustard, big glasses of chocolate soy milk, instant oatmeal, instant Nile brand soup cups, big handfuls of trail mix, microwave meals that others have suggested, canned beans & chili warmed up...the list can go on and on.

Please, take care of yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:24 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm so sorry you are not doing well biorobotics, SO MUCH love to you. Honestly, though, if it is your eating disorder that is tormenting you, you really just need to eat whatever you can possibly get yourself to take in.

When I was really sick, I ate only bananas and cream of wheat for weeks and weeks at a time. I tried to eat veggie patties or veggie dogs occasionally for protein. That wasn't a nutritious, well-rounded diet, but they were my "safe" foods, and it was really important that I could manage it. I don't think I'll ever eat bananas or cream of wheat again, but I'm glad I could manage them at my sickest.

I hope you are getting some outside help, and seeing a doctor regularly. Please feel free to PM me if you think it might help to talk to someone who has been through this stuff before. <3

eta: a wonderful friend of mine found a lot of help at a nontraditional inpatient clinic in Ontario. If you are interested in that info, let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:36 pm 
Inflexitarian

After my accident I did a lot of chili, microwaved potatoes, burritos, amy's meals, riblets, rice mixes with chopped veggies and beans or a veggie burger in it. Popcorn was frequently a meal. I have an air popper. It's awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:00 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

How about rice in the rice cooker and steamed broccoli or california style veggies over it with maybe a little soy sauce. It's my go to when I don't know what to eat. I also like baked potatoes and baked sweet potatoes. I bake several together and then just snack on them all week. Hope you feel better soon!