| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hot cocoa conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:26 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

So, I'm guessing this is a pretty dumb question, but I've only been vegan since June. So, i apologize in advance.

It's getting cold, and my favorite thing ever in the cold weather is a mug of hot cocoa while I do my homework/write/watch bad Netflix. I would always make this with boiling water and Swiss Miss because I am REALLY GODDAMN CHEAP.

Is there an equivalent instant cocoa mix in veganland? I know I can put cocoa in soymilk and add some sweetener and all that, but this gets EXPENSIVE. I drink a lot of cocoa, people.

Thoughts? Ideas? Really really obvious thing that I am missing?

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

Post subject: Re: Hot cocoa conundrum
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:32 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I read somewhere that the Ghiradelli cocoa is vegan. And I beleive the Nestle dark chocolate sensation one is as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:49 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I've seen one that might count in the store, but it requires adding milk rather than hot water. The ingredients are just cocoa powder, sugar, and some sort of vanilla powder. Sort of a rip-off. If you're lookin' for economy, maybe try a recipe for a mix that involves soy milk powder, cocoa, sugar, etc. that just requires adding water. Something like http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=21488.0 ! I may make a batch of this but tweak the proportions based on some comments. Cocoa on demand sounds awesome!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:13 am 
Be afraid... be very afraid

I just use unsweetened cocoa powder and follow the recipe that is on the back of the Hershey's cocoa powder can using soy milk. I have even done this using the microwave.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:33 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Ah!Laska has a hot cocoa mix that you can do with just water. We used it once at a bake sale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:15 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

LebaLu wrote:
I just use unsweetened cocoa powder and follow the recipe that is on the back of the Hershey's cocoa powder can using soy milk. I have even done this using the microwave.

Me too. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:19 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

disneyfav4ever wrote:
I read somewhere that the Ghiradelli cocoa is vegan. And I beleive the Nestle dark chocolate sensation one is as well.

Yep, a few varieties of the Ghiradelli stuff are. I have the white mocha mix now and it's delicious. The big container of it was like 5 bucks, I think, but it lasts forever.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:21 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I also just make my own using non-dairy milk, sugar or agave, cocoa powder (and vanilla and cinnamon, often).
I've also subbed powdered soy milk and water for almond or soy milk.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me that making it from scratch is far cheaper than buying packets - it's been awhile since I bought them, but they seem expensive! Also, you can make a larger batch and keep it simmering on the stove while you drink your first cup, then have a refill.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:10 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Ok everyone, stop messing around with whatever you are doing and make Mexican hot chocolate. It's probably not super cheep, but it's very rich, so you won't be able to drink it by the gallon. And it's frothy and just the very best hot chocolate you will ever drink!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:16 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Ok everyone, stop messing around with whatever you are doing and make Mexican hot chocolate. It's probably not super cheep, but it's very rich, so you won't be able to drink it by the gallon. And it's frothy and just the very best hot chocolate you will ever drink!

Recipe?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:45 am 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

Packets are expensive, but I used to buy the big canisters. Those last for a really long time, and are only about four or five bucks and water comes from the tap. With my current state of unemployment, I can barely even afford enough soy milk for dropping a little in my coffee and doing the occasional cooking, so filling a mug every time I want cocoa isn't too cost-effective, alas (the few times I've made cocoa with soy milk has been so good, though... so rich and creamy!).

I'll totally look into the Nestle and Ghirardelli, thanks!

Also, I will definitely try that make-your-own-mix idea; that was something I had been thinking might be worth trying. I'll post results if I come up with something good.

Thanks all!

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:05 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I buy the unsweetened cocoa powder from Trader Joe's (in the baking area) and put in a table spoon or so of cocoa to one glass heated almond milk. And some sugar if the almond milk is unsweetened. Yum!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:13 pm 
Chip Strong

I use Ghirardelli Mocha, or I just throw some cocoa powder and sugar and salt in a little saucepan with some soymilk. I went through a phase of adding cayenne pepper and did this so much I got a face rash, but it was really good!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

VeganMeredith wrote:

Recipe?

Buy a box of Ibarrra or Abuela Mexican chocolate. It's comes in a hexagonal box and you'll find it in the hispanic isles of some general grocery stores and supermarkets, or of course in Mexican Groceries. Follow the directions on the box or in Viva Vegan. Basically, you heat whatever kind of milk you like, melt the chopped chocolate in it, and then throw it in the blender to make it frothy. Then you revel in warm, rich, foamy, chocolatey perfection!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:18 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

i make this recipe with soymilk powder. it works very well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:14 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

If you can get good-tasting powdered soymilk, make your own just-add-water-hot cocoa mix!!

Hot Cocoa

It's a bit thin...be sure to use a lot of the powder mix, or add a dash of soy creamer. I'm looking forward to making this at work, where I can't easily warm up soy milk.

3 C powdered sugar
1 C cocoa powder
2.5 C powdered soy milk (I used Better than Milk, a US brand)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, using a sifter to make sure all ingredients are lump-free.

Fill your mug one-third to half-full with the powder mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest of the powder in an airtight container.

Adapted from Alton Brown.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:15 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Buy a box of Ibarrra or Abuela Mexican chocolate. It's comes in a hexagonal box and you'll find it in the hispanic isles of some general grocery stores and supermarkets, or of course in Mexican Groceries. Follow the directions on the box or in Viva Vegan. Basically, you heat whatever kind of milk you like, melt the chopped chocolate in it, and then throw it in the blender to make it frothy. Then you revel in warm, rich, foamy, chocolatey perfection!

Sometimes we make it double strength, or add a shot of frangelico, or brandy & Benedictine.
So, +1!
Also, we love ibarra, and abuela is a far far second. Almond milk is fantastic w/this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:01 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

VeganMeredith wrote:

Recipe?

Hmm, interesting, I'll have to see if I can find it!