| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Packed lunch ideas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:29 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hi guys, I have been lurking here a while, but just now posting.
My 5 year old will be going to Kindergarten this year and the food they serve at her school is nasty. What kind of things can I pack in her lunch? She will not have the ability to reheat anything. She is not a picky eater, likes just about all foods.
Thanks!
Jessica

Post subject: Re: Packed lunch ideas
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:06 pm 
WRETCHED

Have you looked at Vegan lunchbox? The blog could give you some ideas as well as the books (there are at least 2). It is by a mother who packs cold lunches for her kid.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:09 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The Vegan Lunch Box books might be worth checking out. Amazon lets you look inside.
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Lunch-Box-A ... 981&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Lunch-Aroun ... 981&sr=1-2

My lunch favorites are hummus wraps and falafel. You can experiment with using all sorts of ingredients and flavorings in the hummus. I also like bean salads in mini pita pockets with a few pieces of greens.

What are some of her favorite foods? I'm sure we can comes up ways to adapt them to a lunch box.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:47 am 
Saggy Butt

I also love this blog, and it has loads of examples of kids' lunches:
http://disposableaardvarksinc.blogspot.com/
There are many other bento/lunchbox-related sites out there, so they might be worth checking out as well, but I think this one and the Vegan Lunch Box blog will give you plenty of ideas!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Muffins that incorporate fruit/nuts/certain veggies (like carrots and zucchini) are really filling, healthy, and easy to pack.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:25 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I usually pack a homemade veggieburger, or something along the lines of quinoa salad (usually with peanuts or beans thrown in), tofu scramble, potato salad with sliced seitan sausage, lentils or beans, pasta salad with lots of vegetables and greens, samosas, tofu quiche or basically anything that's edible cold. I just made some nut koftas that would have made a good lunch (basically chopped nuts formed into balls with mint, cilantro, sauteed onion, garlic, ground cumin and ground coriander and baked for 10 minutes). As far as bread for sandwiches goes, struan is great since you can throw in lots of different protein-rich grains, but seeds are also a good option to make it more filling. Tomorrow's lunch will be cold pizza topped with raw cherry tomatoes and greens.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

for my soon to be first grader-probably a pb&j with a veggie. I have to pack light because he is a slow eater, on top of that he gets easily distracted when he's in a large group of kids. He gets two snacks at school which will probably be fruit leather or some type of granola bar.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:18 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yes, I forgot to add that my packed lunches were way smaller than that when I was a kid, so the things I listed might be overkill for a 5-year-old. Traveling to work also involves a long, strenuous walk for me, so I need something reasonably high in protein to make it until dinner.

Correction on the nut kofta thing: The original recipe also called for beaten egg, which I replaced with some water and enough flour to bind the mixture together.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:46 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3549&hilit=lunch

i need more good ideas for kids! anyone have any great picture based blogs they like to refer to?

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:40 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

This blog is pretty, and makes me want to pack better lunches for myself. http://bentoriffic.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:27 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for the compliment, Drinks Wild Tofurkey! Since January 2012, all my lunchboxes have been vegan/plant based. I usually post 4+ days per week. Most are for my 2 small kids, & I do some for my husband too. Will gladly answer any questions you may have. I'm also on twitter, FB and IG as bentoriffic. http://bentoriffic.wordpress.com Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:42 am 
Not NOT A Furry

In our house we have a "3 things" rule for lunch. One main dish, one fruit/veggie, one "fun thing." Depending on your kid's size/appetite, the main dish could be (half) a sandwich or wrap, a serving of bean/grain/pasta salad, baked tofu slices, etc. The fruit/veggie is almost always cut up for us, since that somehow makes it more fun and eat-able--so a sliced apple/plum/pear, or a clementine, or carrot sticks, or cherry tomatoes. The fun thing might be a homemade muffin, applesauce in those lunchbox cups, almonds or other nuts, or a small piece of chocolate.

The "3 things" rule makes it easy to assemble all the parts and we know it will be nutritious without stressing too much about what to put in.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:19 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

thanks mollyjade and bentorrific - i'll go check it out!!

and thanks scandina! i do something sort of like that. my big problem now is i'm like "hey, tofurky sandwich or pb&j" and that's it.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c