| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your Bachelor(ette) Meals
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:27 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

invertedforest wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I like to make big batches and eat on them throughout the week for lunches, but I can't eat the same thing week after week. My ex said I never made the same meal twice. Which is...basically true. Unless you count falafel (which I rarely use the same recipe for) and hangover breakfast spaghetti.

Is hangover breakfast spaghetti just spaghetti eaten at breakfast time, or is it some wonderful variety of spaghetti that helps a hangover?

It's a dessert spaghetti. . . no freezer or oven required!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yesterday I made udon noodles (served cold) with loads of fried veggies - spring onions, broccoli, zucchini and asparagus - with a splash of soy sauce and miring. It was DELICIOUS.

today I'm having a delicious sourdough wholegrain bread with artichoke pesto and hot chocolate for breakfast. mmmmm!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 8:34 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

invertedforest wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
I like to make big batches and eat on them throughout the week for lunches, but I can't eat the same thing week after week. My ex said I never made the same meal twice. Which is...basically true. Unless you count falafel (which I rarely use the same recipe for) and hangover breakfast spaghetti.

Is hangover breakfast spaghetti just spaghetti eaten at breakfast time, or is it some wonderful variety of spaghetti that helps a hangover?

All spaghetti will help cure a hangover (for me) because it is carbs and carbs soak up the alcohol! (seriously, I don't know if this is science, it just works for me.) Anyway, hangover spaghetti consists of whatever pasta you have laying around tossed with some garlic that was sautéed in olive oil + salt and pepper. Best served with a giant glass of water.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:59 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I haven't had a bachelorette meal in a while, but I got one this weekend, and it was glorious:
Gardein chik'n strips with bbq sauce
Daiya grilled cheese sando
Steamed broccoli (because I'm still an adult, after all).

A significant step up from my normal package of tofurkey with sliced tomatoes and toast!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Tortilla chips with chopped Gardein chik'n and Daiya, doused with hot sauce.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:41 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Step 1: Sautee some vegetables to eat with bbq sauce and brown rice
Step 2: Realize roommate ate the rest of the brown rice
Step 3: In desperation, substitute with pasta
Step 4: Realize that bbq sauce and pasta isn't even that weird

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Today I'm having jasmine rice with a coconut curry with tons of chickpeas and frozen veggies. I'm broke for the rest of the month because I just got myself 50 (!) new vinyls. Okay, so they were only 20 dollars, but that was my food money for the rest of the month. Guess I'm gonna have to live off the 5 lbs of frozen edamame, the frozen wok mix, baked beans and the insane amount of ice lollies I have in the freezer for a week. Well that and my liquor cabinet which is forking AWESOME right now.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:08 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Even though I have healthy leftover soup in the fridge...I'm going to just say fork it and eat curly fries with ketchup for dinner.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

5 triscuits with AVC meltable cheddar and a big bowl of noochy popcorn. And a martini with garlic olives.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:33 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

2 slices strawberry cheesecake and a red grapefruit. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:36 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Why sigh? That sounds awesome! I'm about to heat up some leftover corn chowder.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:30 am 
Saggy Butt

Sandwich of PPK blog mayo and Sesame Ezekiel bread. That's right. Mayo sammich. Klassy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:50 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Tonight: a slab of leftover kale & mushroom polenta fried up to golden glory and doused with sriracha. And a side of cold leftover potatoes right out of the fridge with bbq sauce because I never outgrew my put-bbq-sauce-on-everything "phase."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:13 pm 

Oh it was awesome alright, just not the best for the waistline.

A red grapefruit, an apple, and a whole batch of CCK choc chip cookie dough dip. This needs to stop, I need to have something proper for dinner. The house is overflowing with food for me to eat, so I've no excuse really.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:48 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just ate bread with some baba ghanoush and an impromptu avocado dip (not guac, because no lime juice). I feel...slightly queasy, actually.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:12 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I am going to issue a friendly reminder that this is about bachelor/bachelorette meals, not confessions about eating "bad" foods, so let's please keep it on track. Thank you kindly!

On that note, I discovered that Trader Joe's superfood quinoa pilaf thing, which is a great bachelor meal when paired with half a pack of tofurky slices right out of the package!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

When he is not here I eat up all the bits of leftovers in the fridge ... how shameful is that? I lived alone for 6 years before I married & cooked 'proper' meals every night.

Tonight (he is having dinner with his business partner (brother) & their solicitor) so I am going to be eating ... half a getting sorry looking romaine lettuce, a scant 2 ladles of celery soup (I am not even going to heat it), about half dozen rice cakes in the packet, cold peeled & steamed broccoli stems, some cherry tomatoes finishing with some strawberries & the last couple of tablespoons of soy yogurt.

I am listening to old time radio and half reclining on the sofa ...

Post subject: The General's Tofu - from Men's Health via thevegankitchen.n
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:00 pm 
Tofu Pup

12 oz. extra-firm tofu, pressed and cubed
1 tbsp corn starch
2 tsp vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
2 inches grated ginger
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp sriracha
1 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water
4 cups steamed broccoli florets

1. Preheat the oven to 400º. Toss tofu cubes with 1 tbsp corn starch and place on a greased baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until slightly brown.

2. While the tofu bakes, cook garlic and ginger in a medium saucepan for about two minutes. Add water, vegetable oil, hoisin, rice vinegar, brown sugar and sriracha and cook for about 3 minutes. Add corn starch and water mixture slowly, stirring constantly, until sauce reaches desired consistency.

3. Toss baked tofu with sauce. Serve over brown rice or quinoa with piles of freshly steamed broccoli. Enjoy!

Since it is only geared for 2 servings, I usually double the amounts for the sauce and make enough to store some away for later (it'll keep for a long time). I usually up the amount of sriracha and hoisin and soy a smidge, but that's just my taste. Probably not good for my sodium intake.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:09 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

teacup wrote:
When he is not here I eat up all the bits of leftovers in the fridge ... how shameful is that? I lived alone for 6 years before I married & cooked 'proper' meals every night.

Tonight (he is having dinner with his business partner (brother) & their solicitor) so I am going to be eating ... half a getting sorry looking romaine lettuce, a scant 2 ladles of celery soup (I am not even going to heat it), about half dozen rice cakes in the packet, cold peeled & steamed broccoli stems, some cherry tomatoes finishing with some strawberries & the last couple of tablespoons of soy yogurt.

I am listening to old time radio and half reclining on the sofa ...

that's not shameful at all! it makes perfect sense. We end up with lots of leftovers that have just one portion or a half portion left, so I eat those when he's gone, or he eats them for lunch while I'm at work. It helps food not go to waste.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:25 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Last night for dinner I had a box of TJ's Punjab Eggplant (sans rice, because I don't have any, and, you know, making rice involves actual cooking) and a whole mess o' Lucy's cookies. Tonight I had a huge beer and an insane amount of Popchips (the salsa flavor. . . PSA: these things are amazing. Very Dorito-esque). Might have a mug brownie and/or tea later. Clearly I'm out to disprove this whole "vegan automatically = healthy" myth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I really wanted to make this: http://chowvegan.com/2010/01/10/sticky- ... otus-leaf/ But I haven't been able to find lotus leaf. I ended up making the filling with mushroom, carrot, tvp and this stir fry sauce (its just called "stir fry sauce", I got it when I was looking for hoisin sauce and it seems pretty similar) and steaming it in tin foil. GOOD ENOUGH.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:53 am 

Whoops sorry! Didn't mean it that way! Was just referring mostly to having dessert dinners rather than well... dinnery dinners.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:58 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I just moved and have not been grocery shopping since, so I have eaten a box of crackers for lunch every day this week. I had been buying a lot of crackers for some reason. I do not remember what vegetables look or taste like anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've had toast while lying in bed for dinner 3 nights this week because I've been too tired to do real food or add a step before sleep.
p. sure that's the most bachelor(ette) meal ever

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Cold spaghetti!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 853 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next