| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skillet question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:30 pm 
Naked Under Apron

A question for all of you who cook from Isa and Terry's recipes. When a recipe calls for a large, heavy bottomed pan, would a 10 5/8" (27 cm) diameter, 2" (5 cm) depth cast iron skillet fit the bill?

I am looking at purchasing an antique one because of my wrist issues (they are lighter but still hold heat really well) and before I plop down $$ I wanted to know if the size would work for recipes like Isa's frittatas from Vegan Brunch or the Cast Iron Stir Fry from Isa Does It.

Post subject: Re: Skillet question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:40 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I use a 12-inch skillet for most recipes asking for that type of pan. It's stainless steel with a bottom of some other metal, and it has high sides for a skillet, more like 4 inches, so it's practically a wide, low saucepan. I was recently given a 10-inch cast iron skillet and I start using it for some recipes, but obviously not soups or stews like I do with the other skillet since the cast iron one is too low and too small. I haven't tried the two recipes you mention.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Minatomachi wrote:
I use a 12-inch skillet for most recipes asking for that type of pan. It's stainless steel with a bottom of some other metal, and it has high sides for a skillet, more like 4 inches, so it's practically a wide, low saucepan. I was recently given a 10-inch cast iron skillet and I start using it for some recipes, but obviously not soups or stews like I do with the other skillet since the cast iron one is too low and too small. I haven't tried the two recipes you mention.

Thanks for weighing in. I use a pot much like this one for soups and stews, and I don't mind continuing to do so. The largest pan I currently own (a 10 inch stainless steel pan with 3 inch sides) has a plastic-covered handle, so I'm not able to put it in the oven. A cast iron skillet would be helpful for recipes that require putting the pan in the oven, or for browning tofu. I don't own anything non-stick currently, and I'm hoping it can be helpful with browning food.

What kind of recipes do you use your 10-inch cast iron skillet for?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

Are you measuring the rim, or the base? The skillet I would use for both recipes you mention is 10" rim, but 6.5" base. So if the rim is what you're measuring, the one you're looking at sounds like a good bet. I have a bigger skillet 12" rim, 10" base, that I think would be bigger than you need, based on the cooking instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Jill wrote:
Are you measuring the rim, or the base? The skillet I would use for both recipes you mention is 10" rim, but 6.5" base. So if the rim is what you're measuring, the one you're looking at sounds like a good bet. I have a bigger skillet 12" rim, 10" base, that I think would be bigger than you need, based on the cooking instructions.

Thanks! I think the vendor is measuring the rim, but I'm not sure. I'll ask. I'm more worried about a too-small pan than a too-large one, actually.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

The vendor says the base is 9 1/2 inches in diameter. I'm going to go ahead and buy it, unless you think that size would be a problem, Jill.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:26 pm 
Saggy Butt

LFL wrote:
The vendor says the base is 9 1/2 inches in diameter. I'm going to go ahead and buy it, unless you think that size would be a problem, Jill.

It should be fine - just watch that your oil doesn't overheat/start smoking when cooking small quantities. Isa often calls for cooking ingredients separately, then combining at the end. (I tend to just keep adding more and more ingredients to big pans, rather than slotting the finished ones out to add back in later, which keeps the overall heat in check.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:28 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

LFL wrote:

Once was for peanut butter pancakes from Color Me Vegan. Another time was for browning corn kernels that then went into another pot for a corn chowder from the same book. The other was for browning onion slices and ginger slices that went in the ramen broth from Vegan Eats World.

I've only had it a week or so, so that's it up to now. It does work well for browning, but I haven't tried tofu yet. I use my stainless steel every time I need a bigger pot and it's simpler to use a single pot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:45 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Minatomachi wrote:
LFL wrote:

Once was for peanut butter pancakes from Color Me Vegan. Another time was for browning corn kernels that then went into another pot for a corn chowder from the same book. The other was for browning onion slices and ginger slices that went in the ramen broth from Vegan Eats World.

I've only had it a week or so, so that's it up to now. It does work well for browning, but I haven't tried tofu yet. I use my stainless steel every time I need a bigger pot and it's simpler to use a single pot.

Thanks! Have you run into the smoke issue Jill mentioned when browning veggies?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

LFL wrote:
Thanks! Have you run into the smoke issue Jill mentioned when browning veggies?

No, but the pan was crowded when I browned the veggies, also I cook without oil apart for the thin film of oil I apply to the skillet after cleaning (except for the pancakes because they stuck without oil.) Also, I have very little sense of smell, so I might not have noticed a little smoke.