| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soymilk Makers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:38 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've been contemplating buying one lately, since I have been drinking soy/almond/rice/oat-milk for something like 15 years now, and it makes me dizzy thinking about how much $$ and packaging that must add up to. It would awesome on the tofu-making end too. Any recommendations?

Post subject: Re: Soymilk Makers
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:04 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

i got a soyquick soy milk maker, got the tofu kit with it and now am spoiled for any other tofu. i usually make soy milk which turns out great. its very rich and creamy. the almond milk is nice too. from starting the machine to clean up, it takes about half an hour, but 15 min of that is waiting for the machine to do its work. its nice to not have to throw out all those tetra pacs, too. the only thing i feel guilty about is throwing away all that soy pulp. despite all the recipes in the new farm cookbook, i just don't bother. it goes in the compost. i wish i could give it to my dog, he eats anything, but i dont think its very good for him.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:29 pm 

Thanks! I have read good things about the Soyquick brand, so I think I will investigate further. Homemade tofuuuuu.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I received the Soyapower plus as a gift, then shortly after won a free Soyquick and have tried them both. As far as how they work, they seemed to produce equal milks (I made soy and almond in each). The insides of each are nearly identical, so cleanup is the same. It's not bad as long as you do it right away! The cleanup kit, pitcher, measuring cup were both exactly the same. The manuals are similar, Soyapower had more recipes (although I've only ever made the basic).

Differences: Soyquick looks much nicer sitting on your counter but is more expensive ($179.00). Also, the outside gets really hot, might be an issue if you have kids. Definitely go to the website and enter the contest to win one I did!!
http://www.soymilkquick.com/draw.php
Soyapower is not as attractive but it is insulated so the outside does not get hot and is cheaper ($119.00). They also include a free sample of Laura soybeans, which I have found really are the best for making nonbeany soymilk. They have a bunch of versions, this is the one I have:
http://www.soyapower.com/Soyapower-plus.html

I've been using the soyapower for about a year and a half (making 1 to 2 batches a week) and it's been great. I too hated throwing out those cartons every week and it is so much cheaper, especially if you like it plain.

One of these days I'm going to get the tofu making kit too...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:29 pm 

Ohh! Winning one would be even better! I entered!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:23 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I have a soyquick, the old one with the filter cup.
I've also tried the new version without the filter cup and it is MUCH easier to clean and you have more leeway if you want to make the milk thicker because you can simply toss in as many beans as you like, within reason. With the filter cup you are restricted by the size of the cup.
With the filterless machine I don't think you can make raw milk, it only makes cooked. If you make raw almond milk you need to consider that.
Go for the filterless version if you have to choose (it is more expensive). You'll have to strain the milk anyway so there's one less hard-to-clean item to worry about (the filter is very hard to clean).
I recommend making soymilk by hand first if you never had fresh, home made soymilk, to make sure that you like it before buying a machine. Making it by hand is time consuming, but when you have a machine you still need to clean all the equipment and strain the milk for which you will need cheesecloths or something like it, or a very fine mesh strainer (which then needs to be cleaned as well).
It DOES taste different to store bought, however much you try to change it with salt, sweetener and other additions (a bit of rice, coconut, oats, malt powder etc). It is also grainier, however much you try to strain it. My husband does NOT like home made, I have gotten used to it and like it, especially hot.
If you plan to make tofu you need to make a lot of soymilk to get enough tofu which is a lot of work and clean up.
As far as the clean up is concerned, I find that I use A LOT of hot water to clean the machine and equipment before (I don't really do that) but esepcially after use and I feel guilty about wasting so much hot water just to make 1.5 liters of milk.

If you like cappuccino, it is better made with store bought than home made, but you can froth home made.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:49 am 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
i'm getting a soymilk maker for Christmas (my parents had a million amazon boxed delivered in October and they think I'm not going to peek, yeah right?) and i'm interested in homemade tofu. is there any way to determine the firmness of the tofu? sorry to piggy back your topic but i thought this would be a good place to ask

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:16 am 
Nailed to the V

I've got the older filter soy quick, which has done me loads of service (though I have a hard time recommending one after mine caught fire). Honestly, you can get the same results with a decent multi-speed blender and some thin muslin, but I do still use the machine as well!