| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Low-ish carb lunch ideas?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm trying to come up with ideas for things to bring for lunch this year. I'm trying to stay relatively low-carb, so I don't want sandwiches or pasta every day, but a little bit of carby stuff is OK. I know that I'll get sick of salads if I have them all the time. I have a thermos and a Laptop Lunchbox, and I do have access to a microwave at work, but it's a bit of a pain, so I don't want to have to use it too often. Any suggestions? I know I'll be bringing salads sometimes, but I want to have some more variety.

Post subject: Re: Low-ish carb lunch ideas?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Baked Tofu and Pre-cooked gardein chick'n are a few of my go-to less carby things.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:28 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Lettuce wraps with bean salads or mock tuna salad, maybe?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:43 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I like hummus with veggies and triscuits (get the triangle shaped ones, they're lower carb), tomato soup, roasted chickpeas, chili, nuts, soy crisps, popcorn, black bean soup, pb + apple or banana, berries, veggies and salad dressing, unsweetened applesauce cups, and baked tofu. When it's not so hot, I eat a lot of roasted vegetables.

If you're interested in low-carb tortillas, you can do refried bean tacos with salsa, veggie tacos, or tofu scramble tacos.

I also like soba noodles, which are made with buckwheat and are lower on the glycemic index than other noodles (Not sure if that matters to you). If you can find ones made from 100% buckwheat, those are the best. I eat them with kale cooked in the same pot and dressed with soy sauce and sesame oil. Or on a salad with tofu or edamame, bell peppers, and peanut sauce. There are also low carb pastas, but you have to look for eggs and fish oil.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:48 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm eating less gluten and fewer carbs right now too, and have been eating a lot of stir fries of veggies (usually kale, carrots, cabbage, broccoli, zucchini, etc....) + beans (azuki, black bean, small red, or others), tofu, topped with some kind of sauce (sesame/peanutty, garlicky/tahini, roasted red pepper/walnut), and sprinkled with some kind of nut/seed and hot sauce. I usually warm them at home in the morning and just eat them as is at lunch (without reheating). These meals have been keeping me totally full and going through the afternoons. Big smoothies with added nut/date/seeds are filling too and I bring them in a thermos for lunch sometimes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Use lettuce as your bread for your favorite sandwiches. I always love a good hearty soup - I make a ton and freeze in 2 cup containers so I don't have eat the same one for a whole week.

Make chickpea tortillas - cheap (esp if you grind your own flour) and easy! Melomeals has a great recipe, you can tweak the spices to your liking and they will keep for several days - love dumping my salad in them - salad is so much more exciting in a wrap! Also make great burritos or throw in leftover tofu scamble or leftover stirfrys. My lunchs are often left over dinner in a wrap!

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2010/10/b ... pizza.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:36 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Thanks! Those sound like great ideas.