| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: daiya!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:14 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

rabidchild wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
Yup, sorry! ANA, you evidently posted while I was writing my response. I was addressing rabidchild.

I'm sorry for having a differing opinion about a food product. In the future I'll try to adore everything that everyone else likes.

When someone new starts a thread saying, "hey! I love this product! It helped me go vegan! Let's talk about it!" in what possible universe it is cool to reply with "I think the thing you love is inedible?" I hate musicals, but does that mean I have to go into every thread where musicals are discussed just to shiitake in it so that everyone is aware of my contrary opinion? NO. The PPK does not obligate members to respond to every thread, so next time, if there's no reason to post your differing opinion aside from shitting in a thread, please just refrain. It's common courtesy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:16 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This weekend I played a ton of Skyrim, watched Vick get injured and the Cardinals win but the highlight was a gooey daiya veg roast sammich. I love the stuff. When I order pizza from Mellow or WF I always ask for extra daiya so that it ridiculously gooey.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:27 am 
Naked Under Apron

I have only had it once on a pizza slice from Whole Foods when I was in SF and liked it. I am glad I didn't get too attached as we can't get it here in the UK.

Vegusto though, rocks my world.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I love Daiya! And I love anything that helps people go vegan. I remember when those tofutti slices helped my son go vegan when he was 4, and while I am not a fan of those things at all, I was really thankful for them at the time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:07 pm 
ugh

Pepperjack Daiya makes the best grilled cheese sandwiches.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:53 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ndpittman wrote:
I like it in a casserole with TVP, tots and Manwich*.

*I've never actually had this, but tot/sloppy joe casserole with some melty Daiya on top? I'd hit that.

Oh man, someone needs to make this happen.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i love daiya, despite the daiy-umns (daiya sickness). I just ate some in a pod (like a calzone). I enjoy all three kinds and think daiya quesadillas are heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:34 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Tonight I went out for dinner with a friend from out of town and had a daiya grilled cheese sandwich with caramelized onions and tomatoes! It was oh so yummy!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

After reading this thread today I had a pepperjack daiya grilled cheese on homemade red fyfe whole wheat bread for supper. So so good!

I agree with the original poster who said that having choices like Daiya makes it easier to be vegan, or make vegan choices as a vegetarian or omni.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:29 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

So I hated Daiya the first time I tried it, the mozzarella on a pizza. It reminded me of snotty hot mayo, and I couldn't finish my food. Then I had it on the Tofurky pepperoni pizza, because I really wanted to try Tofurky frozen pizza, and smothered in delicious fake meat I found it tolerable. But yesterday my husband and I went to a meet-up with EmJaeDee and pepperpot at Quesadilla in Chicago (all veg and vegan friendly Mexican restaurant!!!) and my husband and I split an un-chicken and Daiya quesadilla that seemed to be a mix of the cheddar and and a bit of the mozzarella, and it was AMAZING. I think I vastly prefer the cheddar to the mozzarella, and I still prefer either tofu ricotta or Follow Your Heart on pizza, but it appears Daiya is growing on me. I like the taste of Teese, and really want to support them since they're a Chicago company, but the stuff reeks like Play Doh. Nuh uh. Not happening.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:40 pm 
Nailed to the V

I live for cheddar Daiya and all flavors of We Can't Call It Cheese. The mozzarella Daiya has it's uses, but I think it's better for adding a nice gooey texture rather than a true mozzarella flavor.

I'm planning a Daiya fondue experiment :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I forgot We Can't Call it Cheese! I have three different kinds in my fridge right now, I looooooooooooove it.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:01 pm 
Nailed to the V

jessilikewhoa, have you had their cream cheese or sour cream?
nettie camper, if you can find We Can't Call It Cheese, try it--the hickory is my favorite but the nacho-y one is awesome too!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't, I didn't even know about the cream cheese, but now I'm intrigued. I want to try their pudding too, but I haven't found it anywhere near me.
ets, this reminds me, Tofutti posted months ago about their new ricotta, and said it would be available in stores soon, but I haven't heard a peep. I don't want to order it online because there's a minimum order of 3 cartons, so they need to get on this.

twitter @jessilikewhoa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:03 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We don't have Daiya here, but I'd love to try it! I'm SO jealous of people who have access to Daiya & Vegusto & all the other great stuff you can't get in Australia. I do prefer to make my own food from scratch, but sometimes I just want a quick option. The commercial cheese alternatives here can be SO expensive, such as $12 for Teese.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:05 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

jordanpattern wrote:
rabidchild wrote:
jordanpattern wrote:
Yup, sorry! ANA, you evidently posted while I was writing my response. I was addressing rabidchild.

I'm sorry for having a differing opinion about a food product. In the future I'll try to adore everything that everyone else likes.

When someone new starts a thread saying, "hey! I love this product! It helped me go vegan! Let's talk about it!" in what possible universe it is cool to reply with "I think the thing you love is inedible?" I hate musicals, but does that mean I have to go into every thread where musicals are discussed just to shiitake in it so that everyone is aware of my contrary opinion? NO. The PPK does not obligate members to respond to every thread, so next time, if there's no reason to post your differing opinion aside from shitting in a thread, please just refrain. It's common courtesy.

Totally agree. Well-said.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:24 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

jessilikewhoa wrote:
So I hated Daiya the first time I tried it, the mozzarella on a pizza. It reminded me of snotty hot mayo, and I couldn't finish my food. I think I vastly prefer the cheddar to the mozzarella, and I still prefer either tofu ricotta or Follow Your Heart on pizza, but it appears Daiya is growing on me.

I don't like the mozzarella much either, but the cheddar is quite good.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ya know, i kinda get the snotty hot mayo thing. and im ok with that. maybe i just love all kinda of fake cheese? im a faux-lovin lobster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:44 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

SassyOh wrote:
I'm planning a Daiya fondue experiment :)

I've been contemplating this for a long time, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. Report back if you do it and I'll do the same!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

i disliked daiya when i first had it - as mozz on a pizza, but then i got the cheddar and made some grilled cheeses and loved it! i have since done the mozz on pizzas again and liked it. we can't get the pepperjack around here, unfortunately.

and it gave my boyfriend the shiitakes, but not me. more for me!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My first experience with Daiya cheddar was on nachos (with refried beans). It didn't melt very good, and I thought it was kind of rubbery. Just tonight, I veganized Spaghetti For Peanuts (just about my favorite dish from Diet For A Small Planet). I used the Daiya cheddar again, and I increased both the cooking temperature AND the cooking time. It melted beautifully. We did have to eat it pretty quickly, because when Daiya cools off, the consistency is kind of strange. But, I do plan on using it again. We've got some of the mozzarella flavor, and I think it's time to make a vegan pizza.

I wish Wegmans had the pepperjack; that would probably be better on nachos than the cheddar.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:40 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I really like daiya! And that caramelized onion-tomato grilled cheese sounds awesome. And welcome! Good to have representation from the prairies up in here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:41 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

allularpunk wrote:
i disliked daiya when i first had it - as mozz on a pizza

I don't think I like any vegan cheese (commercially produced, anyway) on pizza. It's always a little weird. Either too much or not enough or unevenly melted. Even at Mellow Mushroom I only like it when there is an assload of toppings on it. One or two toppings and it's weird again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:47 pm 
Human Gravy

While I like daiya, I was pretty disappointed with the Tofurkey pizza (I had the supreme or whatever they call it). I was thinking that it might have something to do with frozen pizza in general, but I bought an American Flatbread vegan harvest pizza on sale at Whole Foods a while back and just cooked it up for dinner tonight and it was FORKING AMAZING-- great crust, nice sauce, diaya, herbs on top. I highly recommend this product.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

jessilikewhoa wrote:
I haven't, I didn't even know about the cream cheese, but now I'm intrigued. I want to try their pudding too, but I haven't found it anywhere near me.
ets, this reminds me, Tofutti posted months ago about their new ricotta, and said it would be available in stores soon, but I haven't heard a peep. I don't want to order it online because there's a minimum order of 3 cartons, so they need to get on this.

I've seen the ricotta in stores in the past few weeks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next