| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What can my boss bring me back from FL and TX?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My boss is going to Orlando for a week and San Antonio for a week (she leaves here Monday). She's already been tasked with bringing back Oreos. Then someone mentioned in the "surprisingly vegan" thread that some places have store-brand grasshopper cookies that are vegan. Does anyone know if any stores in Orlando or SA have them?

Should I get her to bring back anything else? The only things I can ever think of that I can't get here (apart from Oreos) are things that people wouldn't be able to take on a plane, like ice cream or Gardein stuff. I need brand names and/or specific stores so she'll know where to go and not have to hunt around (because it would be kinda dickish to insist my boss go to three different stores to find something for me).

She'll be on emails, so I can send requests while she's there, but I'd like to just send one email to her so she doesn't feel bombarded with food requests.

Post subject: Re: What can my boss bring me back from FL and TX?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:36 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Give me about an hour and a half and I'll find out the proper name of the accidentally-vegan Publix brand grasshopper-style cookies during my lunch hour. (Your boss ought to be able to find a Publix easily in Florida.)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:38 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

rachell37 wrote:
My boss is going to Orlando for a week and San Antonio for a week (she leaves here Monday). She's already been tasked with bringing back Oreos. Then someone mentioned in the "surprisingly vegan" thread that some places have store-brand grasshopper cookies that are vegan. Does anyone know if any stores in Orlando or SA have them?

Should I get her to bring back anything else? The only things I can ever think of that I can't get here (apart from Oreos) are things that people wouldn't be able to take on a plane, like ice cream or Gardein stuff. I need brand names and/or specific stores so she'll know where to go and not have to hunt around (because it would be kinda dickish to insist my boss go to three different stores to find something for me).

She'll be on emails, so I can send requests while she's there, but I'd like to just send one email to her so she doesn't feel bombarded with food requests.

She can find the grasshopper cookies at HEB in San Antonio (at least, HEBs in Austin have them). The cookies are square and they're mint chocolate cookies (doesn't say grasshopper on them), but I can't remember what their official name is. I think it's the same brand everywhere if anyone else can remember what they're called.

HEB brand salsas are really good. Especially the roasted one. Liquid smoke? It should be near condiments like Worchestershire sauce. Stubb's barbecue sauce.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:14 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Ok...the Publix kind are Fudge Mint Cookie Squares. They come in a white and mint green package.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Excellent, thanks.

Does anyone know if she might be able to find soy milk powder there? I used to be able to get it, but the shop I got it from no longer sells it (and it was sweetened anyway).

Also, can you tell me a brand of graham crackers that she'd be able to find in one of the above-mentioned stores?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:36 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

She probably won't find soymilk powder outside of a Whole Foods or health food store.

For graham crackers, look for Nabisco original graham crackers in a red box. It's sort of tricky because Nabisco also makes a different brand of grahams (Honey Maid) in a blue box, and those have honey. Most grocery stores will have the red box Nabisco ones.
this
not this

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:32 am 
Joking!

San Antonio will definitely have them. I'm not sure which ones, but any store owned by Safeway will. Safeway brand is accidentally vegan, or at least was when I bought them all the time. Pretty much any store brand grasshopper is accidentally vegan, it's because they are so cheap and crappy that they don't spend the money for animal products which cost more. I looked up Safeway, in Southern/Mid Texas they are under the name Randall's, but the closest one to San Antonio is in Austin, so it's far away. But they have other big name supermarkets that would probably have the same thing under a different name.

I would suggest, if they have the time, I just looked this up, Liz Lovely peanut butter cookies, if you're a fan of peanut butter......which I'm not sure, since you live on the other side of the Atlantic you may have been traumatized by European peanut butter. When I lived in Germany I actually brought my own jar of peanut butter because I heard that it was really hard to find in Europe in general and that if you did find it, it was awful. No one I lived with would even try it, they were so traumatized by whatever peanut butter they have there!!! Anyway, Liz Lovely cookies in general are the most amazing thing ever, they have a lot of flavors ( lizlovely.com ) but at least TRY the peanut butter...it's amaaazing. They sell it one spot in Orlando:

Dandelion Communitea Cafe
618 North Thornton Ave., Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:40 am 
Chard Martyr

Are there Trader Joe's in FL and TX near where your boss will be? You could get those Candy Cane Joe-Joe's that everyone seems to love.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:59 am 
Mediocre Tart

panda wrote:
I would suggest, if they have the time, I just looked this up, Liz Lovely peanut butter cookies, if you're a fan of peanut butter......which I'm not sure, since you live on the other side of the Atlantic you may have been traumatized by European peanut butter. When I lived in Germany I actually brought my own jar of peanut butter because I heard that it was really hard to find in Europe in general and that if you did find it, it was awful. No one I lived with would even try it, they were so traumatized by whatever peanut butter they have there!!! Anyway, Liz Lovely cookies in general are the most amazing thing ever, they have a lot of flavors ( lizlovely.com ) but at least TRY the peanut butter...it's amaaazing.

What's different about peanut butter here (other than you don't need to stir it)? I'm intruiged!

Sadly I think rachel is allegic to peanuts... oh, the humanity!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:09 pm 
Joking!

I don't know about Florida, but there's no Trader Joe's in Texas.

I have no idea what's different about peanut butter in Europe, but apparently people don't like it. I don't know if they don't make it the same or it's just not widely available so people think it's weird....it was invented in America, not that long ago after all. I think Nutella is used there like peanut butter is used here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:32 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

panda wrote:

Dandelion Communitea Cafe
618 North Thornton Ave., Orlando, FL

Tell her to go eat at Dandelion while she is there. Their food is delish!

No Trader Joe's in Florida. Boo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

panda wrote:
I don't know about Florida, but there's no Trader Joe's in Texas.

I have no idea what's different about peanut butter in Europe, but apparently people don't like it. I don't know if they don't make it the same or it's just not widely available so people think it's weird....it was invented in America, not that long ago after all. I think Nutella is used there like peanut butter is used here.

My understanding is that peanut butter outside of the US isn't just straight-up creamed peanuts. It usually has sugar in it. My best friend won't eat peanut butter manufactured outside the US because it has a wang to it. And yes, I am allergic (which is why I can't confirm), but thanks for the tip anyway.

Thanks for the graham cracker tip. Those are the ones that get imported over here and cost £6.60 a box. I know they don't charge that much over the cost of customs and shipping, but there's no way I'm paying (essentially) $10+ for a box of graham crackers.