| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: roasting pumpkin seeds
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:36 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

i searched and didn't find a thread! if it exists, please point me in the right direction.

i've roasted plenty of pumpkin seeds, but they never come out great. anyone have a good set of guidelines? or a good recipe?

i have some freshly scooped out seeds waiting to be roasted..

i usually do s&p, or cinnamon sugar, or curry.

Post subject: Re: roasting pumpkin seeds
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I like this recipe, the saltwater boil really makes them flavorful: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/toasted_pumpkin_seeds/

Other than that, the main mistake I make with them is overbaking - if you wait until the outside gets darker, sometimes the inside gets burned and they are kind of dry and bitter and gross. Maybe you don't have that problem. But check them before you think they're done, they get a little crispier sometimes as they cool too.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:37 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Definitely roast them in a single layer so they brown and get crispy rather than steam. Make sure they are really dry as well before you season them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:21 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Robynn wrote:
Definitely roast them in a single layer so they brown and get crispy rather than steam. Make sure they are really dry as well before you season them.

Yep. I think the biggest difference I've noticed is that pumpkin seeds roast best when they are totally dry. After I scoop them out of the pumpkin, I let them dry for 24 hours.

Also, rubbing them down after they are dry (but before baking) with a touch of olive oil really helps as well. Totally not the healthiest way to enjoy pumpkin seeds, but it really helps the flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:00 am 
Smuggling Raisins

thanks for all the tips!!

i usually roast at high heat, with little oil, and not having dried too long. was definitely over baking, i think.

so this time i dried them really well, set to lower heat, more oil, and just messed around with salt and curry seasoning. sooo much better!

next time i'll try the salt boil, too.

success!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:50 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've also tried just washing the seeds really well, and leaving them to try in a collander, and eating them dried and uncooked, and they are great this way!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

We had a pumpking carving contest here at work, and I got a plethora of seeds now to roast!

Last night I did my own pumpkin at home, and roasted the seeds using this method:
http://ohsheglows.com/2012/09/17/how-to ... addictive/
which uses the saltwater-boil-before-roast method. They came out great. In the past, they always get burned.

I like flavorful pumpkin seeds. I want to make a few batches tonight and share with my co-workers. Here is what I am thinking:

-Olive oil, cumin, chilli powder, sea salt, cayanne, garlic powder. (did this last night, but didn't use enough spices)
-coconut oil, curry powder.
-cinnamon and sugar? I want a sweet one. Maple syrup? help!

What do you guys do? Like I said, I always end up burning them, but this method is pretty awesome so I want some yum flavors.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Hm.

I did some the other day, actually. I rinsed them really well to get the guts off, then laid them in a layer in a pan. I sprayed them with olive oil spray, sprinkled on granulated garlic and salt, mixed them up good, and put them in a 315-degree oven for like 30 minutes. I stirred them around and then put them back into the oven and checked them every 5 or 10 minutes (and stirred some more) until they were a little browned on the outside. It took maybe an hour total? They came out perfectly.

The recipes I've seen use 300 or 325 degrees, nothing higher...

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I do them on the stovetop. I just had a butternut the other day and scooped out the seeds with their pulp, but them in a collander and rinsed them off, then I dried the seeds in the fry pan, stirring a lot so they don't stick, then I toast them till their golden and crisp still in the fry pan, on medium/lowish heat, watching and stirring often, then, when they're toasted to my satisfaction, I add a healthy dose of all-purpose seasoning powder mixture from one of the How It All Vegan books, and then I throw in a dash of Braggs at the end, and that helps the seasoning adhere to the seeds as they dry out and crisp again. They're ready to eat warm from the pan but if you leave them for a couple of hours, they dry and crisp out even more. Soooooo forking good. It never throw squash seeds away. Sacrilege!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:18 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

seitanicverses I will have to try that with squash seeds!

Last night I did the boil method with a ton of seeds, then roasted them at 325.

I put cumin, corriander, chilli powder, garlic salt, white pepper and cayanne on one batch, and brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt on the other batch.

I had to bake them for longer since they had a bunch of stuff on them, but they came out perfect. Especially the sweet ones. They actually could be more flavorful, but since I am sharing with coworkers, I didn't want them to be too spicy. (I like a lot of spice myself)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:36 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made some pumpkin seeds this year which turned out great I thought, but kind of opposite method of what most people here are saying. I just pulled some of the guts off of them but there were still pieces that I left probably, rinsed them with water, and laid them wet on a baking sheet. One sheet was salt, garlic and pepper, one with wasabi powder, and one with a mixture of indian spices. I broiled them, flipping once, bout 10 min until brown. I would find this ideal but if you don't maybe you can go ahead and do all of this work like letting them dry and cleaning them well and flipping them multiple times and everything... but why?

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]