| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2011 Holiday Baking Thread: Goods, Recipes and Gifts
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Does anyone know of a baking mix I can send to someone that doesn't require them to add non-dairy milk? The person isn't vegan and isn't going to go out and buy anything special to make stuff. I'll be lucky if he has a cookie sheet.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:14 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Does anyone know of a baking mix I can send to someone that doesn't require them to add non-dairy milk? The person isn't vegan and isn't going to go out and buy anything special to make stuff. I'll be lucky if he has a cookie sheet.

I thought about this, too. I'm going to include 1-2 of those individual soymilk drinks (or however many equals the amount called for in the recipe). The vanilla one is pretty common!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

zaqette wrote:
I have been baking like a freaking mofo. I made 10 gingerbread houses for a gingerbread house-assembling contest that's happening at school tomorrow (huzzah!!!) and I'm probably up to 6 batches of cookies at this point. I'm in love with Isa's roll-out sugar cookies (they taste EXACTLY like the ones I grew up with!!) and my favourite gingerbread is this one. I've also made a couple rounds of these yummy snickerdoodles :) Not too holiday-y, but I've also gone through a few batches of Isa's chocolate chip cookies too. I love rocking omnis' faces off with vegan cookies!! I may have to make the pb fudge if a link is found.. my brother's head may explode if I bring him some!!

Which book are the roll-out cookies in? I've been trying to find them but haven't had much luck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Kittee's PB Fudge
[quote=salvaged from Joni's Blog]Kittee's Peanut Butter Fudge

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water (or soymilk)
Directions:
Grease a 8x8 or 9x9 pan or caserole. In a large bowl, place peanut butter and vanilla. Put the sugar and water (or soymilk) in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Boil hard for exactly one minute. Dump all at once into the peanut butter mixture and stir quickly to blend. It sets up really fast, so pour into the greased pan quickly, and allow to cool completely before enjoying. [/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mrsbadmouth wrote:

You could try adding soymilk powder? Or a just add water style baking mix. I've never made them before, but I've seen a few around the internet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:59 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

cakenstein wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

I thought about this, too. I'm going to include 1-2 of those individual soymilk drinks (or however many equals the amount called for in the recipe). The vanilla one is pretty common!

This is a great idea!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mixmaster_mo wrote:
cakenstein wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:

This is a great idea!

wasn't there another thread where we were talking about adding water to Isa's cookie mix since it's not all that much liquid it probably wouldn't affect the taste? I might be crazy though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:01 am 
Mediocre Tart

ijustdiedinside wrote:
wasn't there another thread where we were talking about adding water to Isa's cookie mix since it's not all that much liquid it probably wouldn't affect the taste? I might be crazy though.

I thought of that thread too: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16444

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Every year we bake zucchini bread loaves at Christmas for friends and family. This year, we are going to use the same vegan zucchini bread recipe we used for our wedding cake back in June. If anyone wants the recipe, please PM me. We are also going to make Pumpkin Bread from this recipe: http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/super-moi ... kin-bread/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:05 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Most people will be getting cookies one way or another. My grandfather will be getting some soft peanut butter cookies (probably from The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur) and I'll veganize my mom's chocolate chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe, but he's the only one I've decided on at the moment.

On the flip side of baking, I'm also making a few frozen meals for my brother and sister-in-law. Definitely some sort of lasangna will be there, but I'm not sure what else.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:39 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

re: recipes without non-dairy milk: when i asked this, one great suggestion that came up (besides just using water) was the wacky cake recipe. the recipe only calls for oil and water and vinegar as the wet ingredients so its perfect, and i tried it and it comes out super moist. i also experimented tonight and learned that you can cut the recipe in half and it makes a decent-ish loaf type cake in a bread loaf pan. I wanted to put the mix in jars and the biggest jars we can get here hold only 3 cups, but a half-batch in a springform pan or whatever came out lame. the loaf pan worked decent. could also add add in such as walnuts, choc chips, or candied ginger, methinks, and there are also similar recipes without the chocolate and with ginger/spices instead. you could put on the instructions that it can also be used for cupcakes instead of a cake, so its cool cos its versatile

OK, since im on the second page of the thread i cant see the first page now, so cant remember who asked, but the second poster was mentioning cinnamon roll cookies: Vegan Cookie Connoisseur(sp?) has a recipe for those so have a look.

Re:putting candy cane joe joes in cookies... i dont know what joe joes are, but i tried to make choc chip candy cane cookies last week...they taste yummy but the chunks of candy cane look GROSS when theyve melted. icky reddish pink blobs.... i wanted crushed candy canes but forgot to account for...them melting..uh...yeah.

On the other hand, crushed candy canes added to whoopie pie filling for candy cane whoopie pies came out fablous when i made them!

I am going to try making stained glass cookies.

I also discovered tonight that making hot chocolate with canned coconut milk instead of soy etc, comes out fab. 5 tbsp coconut milk (could use less if wanted) 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder, 1.5 tbsp sugar, half cup of water.

I made mince pies but i cheated as i bought the shortcrust dough and bought the jar of mince pie filling...so all i did was bake them.

i am also going to try the microwave brownie in a mug thing....havent tried yet.

i also did fruit cake squares with marzipan icing (someone adapted my fruitcake recipe for me on here :) i forget who though offhand :/ ) and gingerbread cupcakes with lemon iciing and candied ginger on top.

Cool ornaments: we used to get this candy that was a bit smaller than a lifesaver, round, and probably a bit thicker. it had pictures in the middle like evergreen trees or...i forget what other pictures, usually on a white background, and it had colored edges. if you put these on a cookie sheet and bake them they will melt and make LOVELY tree ornaments.... i dont know the brand of the candy but we used to get it in a bag at discount stores. It was all loose in the sealed bag, not individually wrapped. I tried it here in ireland with some ones with pictures of fruit on them, that were a bit bigger, and it was a total fail. they got all bubbly and melted weird and the pictures did not stay and they spread weird, but these ones we used to get in the states came out fab

thanks for all the ideas! the idea of giving homemade frozen meals is super too! wont work for me this year but its awesome to keep in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

B_A_D: do you have a recipe for those carmels? the only carmel i tried was the carmel topping for the carmel apple bars in vegan cookie connoisseur, and it ended up kind of crumbly the second day :/ do you have a recipe you like?

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:47 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Chocolate-covered cherry cookies - recipe from Cooks Country, but it's posted online for free here:
http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Chocolate_ ... Allrecipes

Also did the pecan pie truffles, cherry cheesecake cookies, chewy chai sugar cookies, the toasted almond toffee bars from the VegNews cookie book, and some cranberry pistachio coconut bars dipped in white chocolate. Next up: eggnog snickerdoodles and chocolate turtle cookies. Maybe: sparking coffee snowflakes, fudgy peanut butter mousse cups, peppermint mocha cookies. I really want to do something with white chocolate and crushed candy cane, too.

I love holiday cookie baking!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

So I haven't been able to make cookies like I normally do this year, but I am giving some homemade gifts!

*Applesauce (no sugar added, local apples, probably the best batch I've made to date)
*Peanut brittle (first time making it! came out great, used agave instead of corn syrup)
*Gingerbread biscotti (first time making biscotti too! Isa is a good, this recipe is amazing!)

Along with some locally made chocolate truffles and local beers/liquors, our gift baskets are going to be a hit :D

Of Capsicums & Things."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Does anyone remember a recipe that was posted once for some kind of onion spread or dip? I think it was in the homemade holiday gift thread on the old boards. I never made it, but wanted to.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:09 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I ended up making sparkled ginger cookies, peanut butter blondies, rosemary crackers, granola bars (Alton Brown recipe), snickerdoodles, Italian fig cookies, chocolate fudge, chocolate chip shortbread, cinnamon sugar pie dough cookies, and cherry almond biscotti. I mailed all of that to family/friends today. Still have to figure out what to do for coworkers, but I'm not really feeling it anymore. Baking overload.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:30 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

So far I've made chocolate chip almond cookies, chocolate chip pecan cookies, gingerbread biscotti and cranberry macadamia nut biscotti - all from VCIYCJ (added the nuts to the chocochip cookies). Success! I'm planning on doing some sugar cookies, peanut butter caramel truffles, and either caramel pecan bars or the magical coconut bars from VCIYCJ. Horray for sugar!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:58 am 
Married to the wolfman

I've done:
6 (I think?) batches of gingerbread biscotti, VCIYCJ recipe
2 batches of chocolate peppermint stick biscotti, VCIYCJ recipe (kitchen sink biscotti)
4 batches of spiced pecans, Sunny Days in Texas recipe
5 dozen GF Nog Cookies, a variant on a Fork & Beans recipe
2 batches spiced sea salt caramels, own recipe
3 batches of peppermint bark, own recipe
1 big batch of cranberry-chocolate chip-oatmeal cookies (cranberries make anything seasonal!)

All of this was to go to parties or in care packages! Though I burnt one of the batches of biscotti and have been using that as an excuse to just eat them myself.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Im make my stepfather a spice blend. I could probably get a metal tin at a hardware store for cheap, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

phee wrote:
Im make my stepfather a spice blend. I could probably get a metal tin at a hardware store for cheap, right?

They're also cheap at craft stores like Michael's. If you get one from a hardware store, you may want to line it before adding your blend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

doncherryfan wrote:
I have this vision of chopping up some candy cane joe joes and mixing them in the dough for the V'con chocolate cookies. It could be delicious. It could be a mess. It could be a delicious mess.

Cookies inside of cookies sounds redundant, but that doesn't make it a bad thing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:50 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Whoa coldandsleepy you rule! I don't have the energy to bake that many normally, nevermind in the 3rd trimester. I barely got off the couch then. You're a cookie goddess!

The 6 batches I made aren't enough for the three homes I'm visiting this weekend, so I'm just going to get 2 boxes of Cherrybrook farms sugar cookies to mix & bake tonight. I'm so lazy!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:11 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So far I have made:

VWAV Choc Chip - already gone
VWAV Ginger Sparkles
VWAV Maple Walnut - a new favorite
VCIYCJ Roll and Cut Sugar Cookies - made twice, already gone
Veg Times Espresso Choc Chip Oatmeal

I might try the shortbread or wedding cookies this afternoon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I figured it out! I'm making the chocolate cherry cookies from Color Me Vegan and Snickerdoodles if I feel like making any more.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:16 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't know what's wrong with me. It's taken me at least 1.5 hours to slice 3 rolls of dough and bake them for 10 min each. Why am I such a slow cook?!?! Augh.