| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2011 Holiday Baking Thread: Goods, Recipes and Gifts
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

How did the Vegetarian Times Dec. 2011 cookies, the chocolate espresso oatmeal and the scottish shortbread ones turn out for those who have made them? I'm thinking of trying one of these out tommorow if they were good, or if not can you give me better suggestions for shortbread types?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:52 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I ended up pretty much making it up as I went along this year, since I didn't find recipes that I liked, so I just went to the kitchen and started mixing stuff. All was pretty successful as well as good, but I didn't get the gingerbread thin enough, probably since I made the dough too sticky, put it outside to chill for some hours in parchment paper, got it stuck to the parchment paper and baked it like that, then cut it and glazed it. The plan was to roll it out and use cookie cutters, but why do it the conventional way?
All in all it was:
Pumpkin pie, from fresh pumpkin
raisin and almond biscotti with vanilla extract
gingerbread cake/cookie
almond crescent cookies
chocolate oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

We made Peanut Butter Fudge, Candy Cane Fudge, Sparkled Ginger Cookies, and Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles. It was hilarious to hear from people after they had eaten the snickerdoodles because I didn't label anything and many people were caught off guard in a good way. I've gotten a lot of positive feedback and even people saying that my ginger cookies took the gold when compared to others they received, vegan for the win! The peanut butter fudge was the most popular and man was it divine! I got that recipe off of allrecipes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:06 pm 
Tofu Pup

mixmaster_mo wrote:
cakenstein wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
Does anyone know of a baking mix I can send to someone that doesn't require them to add non-dairy milk? The person isn't vegan and isn't going to go out and buy anything special to make stuff. I'll be lucky if he has a cookie sheet.

I thought about this, too. I'm going to include 1-2 of those individual soymilk drinks (or however many equals the amount called for in the recipe). The vanilla one is pretty common!

This is a great idea!

Ooh I like this idea.

I made these rugelach for a Christmas party that I wanted to Hannukahfy (I made latkes and applesauce as well). http://www.thediscerningbrute.com/2008/ ... -rugelach/ I did half of them with the raisin/jam filling from JOVB. The chocolate ones were better. People were all over them though.