| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for high-altitude vegan baking?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm the type of girl who regards her pistachio KitchenAid mixer (a present from the parents) as one of her favorite possessions. When I moved to Denver two years ago, everything I knew about baking in that mixer (and baking in general) flew out the window. Now, I'm making the transition to vegan (hooray!) and am relieved to see all the options there are for baking without dairy.

The issue: Do I have to start over from scratch again with high-altitude, vegan baking?

I'm currently reading my way through Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World and The Joy of Vegan Baking, so if you use recipes from either of those I'd love to hear how you modify. But really, any experiences, tips and recommendations for those who vegan bake (I just made that a verb!) at high altitudes will be appreciated.

Being the Mile High City, I'm at 5280 ft., but I also venture up to the mountains where I'll bake at 10,000 ft.

Twitter: @cbaginski
Magazine writer for natural/organic lifestyle company, and yoga instructor living in the Mile High City with a pint-sized papillon.

Post subject: Re: Tips for high-altitude vegan baking?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I lived in Boulder for two years and never really had a problem with the recipes from VCTOTW. The first batch of cupcakes I ever baked after I moved to Colorado sank in the middle, but I realized that was because my baking powder was really old. (Though I did find that adding a few more tablespoons of flour to the cake batter also made for more consist risen, puffy cupcakes.)

King Arthur Flour's website has a really comprehensive guide to baking at high altitudes.