| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tempeh tempeh
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:29 pm 
Joking!

First of all....I know this is nuts.....I've been vegan for however many years....I don't even remember, like 5? 6? I don't know. And vegetarian since I was in second grade. I've NEVER cooked with tempeh. I love tempeh, but I've just never actually cooked it myself. I want to make a lot of stuff with it, but more specifically I'm craving tempeh thanksgiving sandwiches hardcore! What should I do with it? Can I get creative with it and just buy some plain type of tempeh and throw it in a pan with some coconut oil and maybe get creative, throw in some maple syrup, do I have to marinate it? I suppose I could crack open the veganomicon, but I don't often cook from recipes, I usually just make stuff up. Maybe you guys will have some suggestions.

Post subject: Re: tempeh tempeh
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

OOOH my gosh. That is exciting.

I think tempeh is extra good when you marinate it first (i love marinating it in citrus), then pan fry 'til it gets all brown and crisp on the edges. Another good trick is to flash boil it before marinating, 'cause it gets it all good and soft. But you can totally just experiment!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:35 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

If you've never made anything with tempeh before, I would start with the VB or WVaV tempeh bacon and made lots of avocado sandwiches. It is super easy and so incredibly tasty.

You definitely do want to marinate tempeh. Steam it for 10 or so minutes, then poke a few holes in it with a fork and marinade it for an hour or overnight, then saute it up.

ETA: can you come up with some sort of cranberry marinade?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I know you're not a recipe person, but have a look at this for inspiration. http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/08/tlt-sandwiches.html
I love her method of marinating tofu in the microwave. The tempeh comes out so flavourful. I usually don't even bother to fry it after.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:53 pm 
Joking!

I could probably come up with a cranberry marinade pretty easily, but I'm thinking it would be better kind of savory? Like maybe use braggs and toasted sesame oil, and that way you have some savoriness to go with the cranberry sauce I would of course put on the sandwich. I'm practically drooling just thinking about this. Maybe actually just add cranberry juice to the braggs and sesame oil....why not?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:56 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Love tempeh. My favourite thing at the moment is to crumble it up and fry along with mushrooms, garlic, mustard, herbs of your choice. Especially good with a little cider thrown in to deglaze. Tastes like Brittany on a plate (toast/pancake/galette).