| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yeast - bread machine yeast / active yeast question.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:22 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I'm doing a cookbook challenge for MoFo & picking two or three recipes a day to cook, I've picked my recipes for Monday so I can buy ingredients tomorrow, yay!

One of the recipes is the caramelised onion tart w/ sweet potato sage crust from 500 vegan recipes and it calls for bread machine yeast, can I use active dry yeast or are they totally different? My googling's suggesting that they're not interchangeable!

If I need to get bread machine yeast what is the measurement of one packet in the US? I figure they could be a different size in the UK & I don't want to throw in way too much / little. Also, any UK people know if it's called bread machine yeast here? I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere!

Post subject: Re: Yeast - bread machine yeast / active yeast question.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

apparently, bread machine yeast is instant yeast.

here's part of an FAQ I found here:

Quote:
Can Active Dry Yeast be used in RapidRise recipes?
Yes, but with limitations. The Active Dry has larger granules and it is necessary to dissolve completely for the yeast to work. Therefore, Active Dry works best if dissolved in warm water (100° to 110°F). To use the electric mixer method, combine yeast with 1/4 to 1/3 of the flour and other dry ingredients.

What is the difference between Instant Yeast, Bread Machine Yeast and RapidRise Yeast?
Mainly names, but these are all the same yeast! Use interchangeably

What is the difference between fast-rising yeast (RapidRise/Bread Machine Yeast) and Active Dry Yeast?
RapidRise and Bread Machine Yeast are different strains than Active Dry Yeast. RapidRise and Bread Machine Yeast are grown with a higher level of nutrients and are dried to lower moisture content. The particle size of RapidRise and Bread Machine Yeast are finely granulated to allow complete hydration of the yeast cells during the mixing process. The Active Dry Yeast larger particle size should be dissolved in water to achieve complete hydration prior to adding to the mixer. In addition, RapidRise and Bread Machine Yeast contain ascorbic acid resulting in increased loaf volumes.

Can Active Dry Yeast be used in bread machines?
Bread Machine Yeast is a fast-rising yeast specially formulated for bread machines. It is finely granulated to hydrate easily when combined with the flour. Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is added to promote good loaf volume and structure. Active Dry Yeast may be used but may not yield optimal results.

Post subject: Re: Yeast - bread machine yeast / active yeast question.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:44 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Thank you! My googling certainly didn't come up with anything that useful!