| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite and peculiar Culinary Guilty Pleasures!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:25 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I've recently discovered that frozen bread is delicious. Especially frozen flat bread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:44 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I like dough, like pie and bread dough. Pizza dough.

I also once screwed up a bread recipe by putting the yeast in almost boiling water, so it didn't rise at all. It was thick and dense and yeasty. I remade it properly. But I thought the yeasty one tasted better and I want to do it again on purpose.

Also burnt toast. I like to fill cupcakes to the top so it rises over the top and the edge gets a little burnt. Especially with chocolate. Basically, I like burnt food.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Alaina wrote:
Basically, I like burnt food.

I've never tried the burnt toast/ baked goods thing, but I love burnt popcorn. Whenever I'm making popcorn for myself, I intentionally burn it a bit. I would feel bad about the lingering smell bothering my roommate, but her Hot Pockets smell 396825x worse, so. . .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:35 pm 

lilyyw wrote:
Alaina wrote:

I've never tried the burnt toast/ baked goods thing, but I love burnt popcorn. Whenever I'm making popcorn for myself, I intentionally burn it a bit. I would feel bad about the lingering smell bothering my roommate, but her Hot Pockets smell 396825x worse, so. . .

I don't think I ever smelled a Hot Pocket! I'm not that into popcorn. Before I went vegan I liked burnt foil cheese, and I um like burnt Daiya too.

When I was little my dad would make chocolate cupcakes from the mix, and they would always flow over the top, the edges would get hard and a little burnt that was the best part of the cupcake. I always try to do that with a few cupcakes. And brownies too. If the corner gets burnt, I love it. Something about crappy Duncan Hines mix in my parents old dirty not non-stick cupcake tin made the best burnt cupcakes though. I should steal the tin for vegan cupcakes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:47 pm 
Saggy Butt

One of my childhood empty-cupboard creations was sauerkraut & mayonnaise sandwich which actually is really good. I could go for one of those about now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

geeksweetheart wrote:
One of my childhood empty-cupboard creations was sauerkraut & mayonnaise sandwich which actually is really good. I could go for one of those about now.

those sound really good to me, too. i looooove sauerkraut & vegenaise is another favorite of mine.

lately i've been making pretzel nachos. pretzels on a plate + red sauce + cheeze + a sprinkling of italian seasoning. bake for a few minutes & you're g-t-g! (and if you make ranch dressing (i make mine with vegenaise & tofutti sour cream & herbs 'n such) to dip the nachos in it's pretty yummy too. just say'n.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:23 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Alaina wrote:
I like dough, like pie and bread dough. Pizza dough.

I also once screwed up a bread recipe by putting the yeast in almost boiling water, so it didn't rise at all. It was thick and dense and yeasty. I remade it properly. But I thought the yeasty one tasted better and I want to do it again on purpose.

Also burnt toast. I like to fill cupcakes to the top so it rises over the top and the edge gets a little burnt. Especially with chocolate. Basically, I like burnt food.

Yes! I'm known for my love of burnt brownies and cookies.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Alaina wrote:
lilyyw wrote:
Alaina wrote:

I don't think I ever smelled a Hot Pocket! I'm not that into popcorn. Before I went vegan I liked burnt foil cheese, and I um like burnt Daiya too.

When I was little my dad would make chocolate cupcakes from the mix, and they would always flow over the top, the edges would get hard and a little burnt that was the best part of the cupcake. I always try to do that with a few cupcakes. And brownies too. If the corner gets burnt, I love it. Something about crappy Duncan Hines mix in my parents old dirty not non-stick cupcake tin made the best burnt cupcakes though. I should steal the tin for vegan cupcakes.

I can honestly say burnt pizza mozzarella is the only thing that I miss from my omni days. I will have to try burnt daiya. How long do you need to cook it forthis to happen? It seems like daiya takes fffooooorrevvver to melt let alone burn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:59 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

This ^ the burnt on spill over cheese from pizza things and pasta things was my favourite. Also when I'd make pizza pops and they'd be over cooked and the ends would get munchy with over cooked cheese on the plate.... I also only ate meat that was really, really well done. Family would joke about burning a burger for me, and the like.

I don't think I have any particularly weird food things right now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:38 am 
WELFARIST!

I like burnt toast, also.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

When I was a kid, my after-school snack was mayonnaise sandwiches (always on white bread). Mayo. Bread. That's it.

The two snacks that I developed when I was a kid, and still eat are
1) cut up bananas in a bowl with lemon juice and sugar
2) a huge spoonful of peanut butter dipped into chocolate chips

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:26 pm 
WELFARIST!

flavabean wrote:
When I was a kid, my after-school snack was mayonnaise sandwiches (always on white bread). Mayo. Bread. That's it.

Same. For some gross reason, I called them 'Bandaid Sandwiches'. Barf.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

flavabean wrote:

The two snacks that I developed when I was a kid, and still eat are
1) cut up bananas in a bowl with lemon juice and sugar
2) a huge spoonful of peanut butter dipped into chocolate chips

I also used to eat mayonnaise sandwiches as a kid, until a fateful day when I was unsupervised or something and ate like 3 in a row and felt like barfing. That was the last time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 pm 

emmalv wrote:

I can honestly say burnt pizza mozzarella is the only thing that I miss from my omni days. I will have to try burnt daiya. How long do you need to cook it forthis to happen? It seems like daiya takes fffooooorrevvver to melt let alone burn.

It's hard! I did it once by accident sort of like in the corners, cause I had uneven cooking time and the middle wasn't melted. You can't really get it burnt, just very lightly browned. But if you get it melty like and then put it in the toaster oven or broiler close to the flame for a minute or two, just enough till it's barely browned, it's almost like burnt pizza mozzarella.

I miss gorgonzola. Not even so much that I miss the cheese part, I miss the mold. Burnt vegan gorgonzola on burnt toast would be the best thing ever.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

TupeloHoney wrote:
Potato chips on ice cream is also delicious.

Potato chips and ice cream might be the single best food combination on the planet. I don't understand why everyone doesn't know about it. I discovered it when I was a kid, and people thought it was weird then, and they still think it's weird. I feel sad for them because they can't enjoy the amazingness of ice cream and potato chips.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:29 am 
Nooch of Earl

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
TupeloHoney wrote:

Potato chips and ice cream might be the single best food combination on the planet. I don't understand why everyone doesn't know about it. I discovered it when I was a kid, and people thought it was weird then, and they still think it's weird. I feel sad for them because they can't enjoy the amazingness of ice cream and potato chips.

I like french fries because there's also the hot-cold contrast. Of course they have to be crunchy on the outside and salted enough.

Someone should invent a waffle fry cone, or a potato chip cone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:01 am 

Moon wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
In my desperately poor days after getting my apartment, I ate a sandwich of baby dill pickles and yellow mustard, and it was actually really great.

That's because sandwich.

No. That's because pickles. And mustard. Also the following equation

Pickles + mustard(bread) = amazeballs

I know what I'm having for lunch today!

I was KICKING myself last night because I passed on buying pickles at the store this week, and my sandwich would have been AMAZING with pickles. It was Field Roast deli slices smoked tomato and Daiya mozzarella shreds under the broiler then some Annie's horseradish mustard. I would like all of the salt, please.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:55 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ndpittman wrote:
I was KICKING myself last night because I passed on buying pickles at the store this week, and my sandwich would have been AMAZING with pickles. It was Field Roast deli slices smoked tomato and Daiya mozzarella shreds under the broiler then some Annie's horseradish mustard. I would like all of the salt, please.

You can woo me with sammiches any time. That sounds delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:33 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I recently found a bottle of vegan worcester sauce and have been using it on EVERYTHING. I used it instead of vinegar on some chips the other day, what kind of poor excuse for a brit am I?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:24 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

annak wrote:
TupeloHoney wrote:

I like french fries because there's also the hot-cold contrast. Of course they have to be crunchy on the outside and salted enough.

I love dipping fries into a shake, but I don't think that's too peculiar. . . lots of people I know do it. I'll have to try fries with a scoop o' ice cream.

Potato chips with ice cream is ingenious! I do crushed pretzels on ice cream, and now I really want to try it with chips.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:51 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I recently started buying udon noodles - my favourite way to prepare them involves piling pre-cokked ones with masses of tomato ketchup and balsamic vinegar and bunging them in the microwave for a minute.

Edit: just noticed that typo, but it made me laugh so I'll leave it in :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:58 am 

annak wrote:
TupeloHoney wrote:

Ooooo, I want a waffle fry cone and a potato chip cone so bad now! I might actually have to work on making these happen somehow!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:39 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Everyone is talking about burnt toast, but I like my toast really REALLY lightly toasted. Like when you toast bread to make it stale-ish for a recipe. Is that a weird food thing? Because that's my main one right now.

Yesterday I had a massive craving for one of my omni weird food things - ramen noodles with a mini can of tuna mixed in. I don't think I should attempt to veganize it because... It's kind of weird.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 pm 

I prefer my toast very lightly toast as well!

I put a sammich under the broiler today and browned some Daiya mozzarella shreds. It was awesome. And the bread didn't get too toasted at all. Full of win.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:02 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Think grilled cheese sandwich... but instead of cheese: chocolate spread! Also works with tortillas in a pinch. Also Biscoff spread.

Carrots and peanut butter

Earl Grey tea with almond milk and chocolate chips melted in. Basically Earl Grey hot chocolate. So comforting~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next