| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Favorite and peculiar Culinary Guilty Pleasures!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 pm 
Has a Guru

I've heard of banana sammiches with peanut butter or mayo but never both and never without the nanners. That's kind of gross. :P

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

SassyOh wrote:
electric_claire wrote:
katiejayne wrote:
That sounds tasty!

I love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Open faced with creamy pb and sweet pickles. I don't know that it's a guilty pleasure but it is a bit peculiar.

i've never had a pb and pickle sammich, but i love savory oatmeal with peanut butter, pickles (i like mine sour, not sweet though) or sauerkraut, a bit of pickle or kraut juice mixed in, salt and pepper. some veggies are good in there, as well.

That's the oatmeal they serve in Hell. Just reading that made me queasy!
(I hate, HATE pickles.)

I love pickles and still think that sounds super gross!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Jagadeesh wrote:
I've heard of banana sammiches with peanut butter or mayo but never both and never without the nanners. That's kind of gross. :P

i've got an omni friend who adores pb & mayo sammies and he's from virginia. maybe it is a southern-ish thing.

banana + agave + pb sammies are so yum, too!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:19 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

cupcake wrote:
My grandparents (who were from France), used to make me a special snack with a piece of baguette, spread with a little butter and a chunk of dark chocolate. Now we make them minus the butter, though they would probably be yummy with a little Earth Balance too. Bread plus chocolate equals yum!

I'm from Switzerland and we used to do that too when we were kids. Haven't had it in years! Must do again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Grilled cheeze sandwiches with grape jelly on the outside.
Smashed avocado/nooch, dill pickle and tomato sandwiches.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:16 pm 
Impressive boner

katiejayne wrote:
I love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. Open faced with creamy pb and sweet pickles. I don't know that it's a guilty pleasure but it is a bit peculiar.

I started eating these about 6 months ago, after reading an old issue of Scary Godmother. I would prefer creamy PB and sweet pickles but we usually only have crunchy PB and regular pickles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:26 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

deearess wrote:
Smashed avocado/nooch, dill pickle and tomato sandwiches.

What? Sounds delicious and non-peculiar!

I used to love dill pickle and yellow mustard sandwiches when I was a kid. And american cheese/mustard sandwiches. The other kids even liked to mock me for bringing that kind of stuff for lunch : ( haha.

Anyway, I still love shitty yellow mustard <3

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:46 pm 
Has a Guru

Max&Moritz wrote:
cupcake wrote:
My grandparents (who were from France), used to make me a special snack with a piece of baguette, spread with a little butter and a chunk of dark chocolate. Now we make them minus the butter, though they would probably be yummy with a little Earth Balance too. Bread plus chocolate equals yum!

I'm from Switzerland and we used to do that too when we were kids. Haven't had it in years! Must do again!

A lady from Hungary I know does a sort of variation of this, and says it's very common in Hungary. She called it it's proper Hungarian name, I called it Boiled Rottweiler Lips. Anyway, it's a really small, hard baguette with butter and cheese, served with chocolate milk, with various veggies (cherry tomatoes, red, green, yellow, orange bell peppers, cucumbers, etc) chopped to finger size. It's GORGEOUS and a great dinner. Too bad vegan/veg cheese sucks donkey balls. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Max&Moritz wrote:
cupcake wrote:

Maybe this is fairly common throughout Europe? I dunno. . . when my parents visited the Netherlands a few years ago, they brought back little boxes of chocolate shavings for me and my brother. The shavings were designed for sprinkling on toast (there was a picture of a piece of toast on the box). I thought it was adorable (and delicious)!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:39 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

According to my family, pretty much everything I like to eat is odd. Thanks guys. My top favorites are rye bread with anything (plain, peanut butter, hummus...), straight up handfuls of raisins, and prune butter. It's like apple butter but with prunes. It's amazing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:21 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Rye bread with mustard and pickles for a sandwich, or for a variation, rye with fresh cucumbers and earth balance, but I don't know if these things are somehow strange? I didn't think so until seeing the mustard sandwich thing in this thread, which I had thought was simply delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:34 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Max&Moritz wrote:
cupcake wrote:

You can buy very thin chocolate that's MEANT to be put on bread.

Look!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:35 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

lilyyw wrote:
Max&Moritz wrote:
cupcake wrote:

Maybe this is fairly common throughout Europe? I dunno. . . when my parents visited the Netherlands a few years ago, they brought back little boxes of chocolate shavings for me and my brother. The shavings were designed for sprinkling on toast (there was a picture of a piece of toast on the box). I thought it was adorable (and delicious)!

And this too. I have some hagelslag in my desk drawer right now! but the vlokken are great, too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

jerusha wrote:
You can buy very thin chocolate that's MEANT to be put on bread.

Look!

In Denmark, too!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:56 pm 
Chard Martyr

andi_vert wrote:

Me too! I didn't think I did until I bought a bottle for the Veganomicon cheesy sauce, and the child in me has been delighted by it since. I love all mustard, though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

vijita wrote:
andi_vert wrote:

Me too! I didn't think I did until I bought a bottle for the Veganomicon cheesy sauce, and the child in me has been delighted by it since. I love all mustard, though!

Twinsie! I also love all mustard. It is the best condiment.

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lilyyw wrote:
Max&Moritz wrote:
cupcake wrote:

Hagelslag! I found a vegan brand online that I wanted to buy from a Dutch import store, but they were sold out at the time. I'll have to get my hands on it somehow. I haven't had a hagelslag sandwich in 15 years!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:49 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Max&Moritz wrote:
cupcake wrote:

Chocolate baguette sandwiches are ridiculously tasty.

I discovered this while resorting to stuffing a Ritter Sport dark chocolate bar into a baguette at an airport. I didn't feel too sorry about the airport's lack of vegan options in the slightest.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:21 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

I'm eating a piece of slightly sourdough-y baguette smeared with speculoos thanks to the chocolate/baguette thing you've been talking about!!

Not chocolatey, but weird and delicious enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

lilyyw wrote:
Max&Moritz wrote:
cupcake wrote:

When I was little, a long time ago, it was hard or impossible to get imported things in the hinterlands the way we do now, and we used to put hot chocolate mix powder on our buttered toast. I am not of Dutch heritage but come from an area with lots of Netherlands immigrants.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:08 am 
Has a Guru

GOOD Lard! Super salty pretzels dipped in Isa's chocolate buttercream. No words. Just eating. There's chocolate and salt all over my mac.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Invictus wrote:
My dad used to smear leftover frosting on graham crackers as a special treat! Not so far off from a baguette. And not weird at all, wonderful.

My mother used to spread frosting on graham crackers as a treat for me and my siblings. I still eat this occasionally (Nabisco grahams don't have honey).

When I make peanut butter toast, I spread a thin layer of Earth Balance first and then peanut butter. If I leave off the EB it just doesn't taste right. I also like grilled tempeh bacon and peanut butter sammiches.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

bunniee wrote:
Invictus wrote:
My dad used to smear leftover frosting on graham crackers as a special treat! Not so far off from a baguette. And not weird at all, wonderful.

My mother used to spread frosting on graham crackers as a treat for me and my siblings. I still eat this occasionally (Nabisco grahams don't have honey).

When I make peanut butter toast, I spread a thin layer of Earth Balance first and then peanut butter. If I leave off the EB it just doesn't taste right. I also like grilled tempeh bacon and peanut butter sammiches.

My mom did the frosting on graham crackers too!

I also like vegan-y bacon and pb sandwiches! And I always put Earth Balance on my pb toast!

I have put my mouth, this is the best sandwich. Since. I agree Araya monkeytoes too much, especially the lunch buffet. I have no idea of ​​the city center. I mean try headstrong, but I have not made there. --spam!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:16 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I had no idea there were so many other pickle + peanutbutter sandwich eaters. I, too, feel the love. I've never tried it with sweet pickles, though, but I'm open to experimentation.

I also love shitty mustard, but I kind of didn't know that was peculiar. I definitely prefer it over fancy mustard and I know that's peculiar.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:40 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

andi_vert wrote:
Not my guilty pleasure, but a lot of people put ketchup on pizza.
I can't picture ketchup on anything that isn't a burger, a hot dog or something like that. Sorry for my squareness!

D:

I'll occasionally put ketchup on my toast for breakfast, but there absolutely has to be some kind of buttery spread (either EB or Becel Vegan) as well, otherwise it just doesn't taste right.

One of my favourite dinners is a big bowl of basmati rice liberally covered in Bisto curry sauce, the kind made from granules... Classy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next