| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan marsala
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:58 pm 
ugh

Can anyone recommend a brand of marsala wine that is vegan? I'm clueless when it comes to wine and I have no idea how to search for these things. Barnivore hasn't been much help.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post subject: Re: Vegan marsala
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:13 am 
ugh

Hmm, nobody? I'd like to make the tofu marsala from Yellow Rose Recipes but I have no idea what kind to buy!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:28 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Did you go to Barnivore and look at their vegan brands? I would do that and then hit Whole Foods or a wine shop with your list.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:12 pm 
ugh

As I mentioned, I didn't have much luck with Barnivore. Since Marsala wine is from Sicily, I used the filter for Italian brands, and only came up with one that is vegan - Casa Vinicola Botter. But I looked at their website and they don't make any Marsala wine.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:56 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't believe there is any vegan Marsala wine. As you noted, Marsala refers specifically to the Italian DOC. You can use pretty much any fortified wine, including port or sherry (cooking sherry at your own peril). The flavors will be different, but the style is similar.

I don't remember the specifics, but from my wine geography class, it seemed like albumen is a common fining agent in many Italian wines, though some may use bentonite (clay).

If you have a wine shop nearby, try asking there. More people ask about this these days, so some shops find this information from their distributors when possible. The little shop in my college town was great about this. Also, the wine making people ( who knew our university had a viticulture dept!) said that fining agents are not necessarily universal, but are often vintage dependent, so unless a vineyard has a standing policy, it is possible that one batch could be accidentally vegan. They also said there is an industry slow move towards synthetic or clay fining agents. I guess if they can get the old guards to embrace plastic corks, there is hope, right?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:53 pm 
ugh

Thanks lavawitch, that's really helpful!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:11 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I asked my friend Lauren who is the best bartender in the world (former Millenium, currently Portobello) and she said:

Quote:
Cribari, out of California, is decent and not too expensive, good fer cooking/baking. Also I confirmed with cribari that it's vegan (like many other wine products, marsalas are often filtered with egg white, etc).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 pm 
ugh

IsaChandra wrote:
I asked my friend Lauren who is the best bartender in the world (former Millenium, currently Portobello) and she said:

Quote:
Cribari, out of California, is decent and not too expensive, good fer cooking/baking. Also I confirmed with cribari that it's vegan (like many other wine products, marsalas are often filtered with egg white, etc).

Awesome, thank you!