| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Tea (or any beverage) Room
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:54 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

pastabake wrote:
mendelian wrote:

I'm intrigued by the Lapsang Souchong and have been sniffing the boxes in the supermarket. How do you drink it? Milk/no milk?

It is an acquired taste, I think! If you like things that taste like smoke you will probably like it. I usually drink it straight, but you made me want to try it with milk so I just made some with soy creamer, and it is less strong but still delicious.

I bought a box at Waitrose this morning and had a cup with unsweetened soy when I got home based on your report of deliciousness, and it is so so good! I don't know why I've been so hesitant to try it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:57 am 
WELFARIST!

I drink lapsang souchong but never with milk! That sounds so weird to me- the smoke and cream isn't weird together?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:05 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Nope. I think it would taste weird and wrong with sweetened milk, though. Also, I only add a dash of milk because I hate tea (and coffee) that isn't piping hot.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:12 am 
WELFARIST!

Hm...maybe I'll try it with unsweetened milk next time. I like the way I drink it now but now I'm intrigued at the smoke/cream combination.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:34 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

This thread has inspired me to try more tea/flavoured beverages. I have started using only filtered water in my tea (and coffee) and have noticed a big difference, as far as adding sugar it doesn't seem to do much more than make the tea taste like sugar. I might try agave and see if that is nicer.

If I wanted to branch out where should I start? I like regular ol' tea and chia (but I make it into a syrup and add to warm milk.) Also where is a good place to buy teas, we don't have anywhere nice here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:01 am 
WELFARIST!

Sarah-Jane wrote:
If I wanted to branch out where should I start? I like regular ol' tea and chia (but I make it into a syrup and add to warm milk.) Also where is a good place to buy teas, we don't have anywhere nice here.

I'd buy samples from Adagio. I think that just buying samples of things that sound good to you is a great start. Maybe try a bunch of new chais and branch out from there or just pick some that you've never tried before. I'd definitely recommend the chocolate chai.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:18 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

That site is wonderful. So many teas and such adorable glass teapots. The international shipping is very expensive, though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:30 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Has anyone ever ordered from Kusmi Tea? The tins are pretty and I'm intrigued by the black tea with violet and the black tea with buffalo grass.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:14 pm 
A Bad Person

MBM found a bunch of Twinings earl grey at Big Lots, so I'm pretty much set for quite a while!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

48 count boxes for $3 each, woo!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:07 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

pastabake wrote:
Has anyone ever ordered from Kusmi Tea? The tins are pretty and I'm intrigued by the black tea with violet and the black tea with buffalo grass.

KUSMI TEA UPDATE: Bought the violette, zoubrovka, and lapsang souchong. They are all delicious, and the guy behind the counter said I can get a few dollars off of retail if I bring the empty tins back to their store in NY. I wish the tins were smaller, though, so I would stop feeling like I have to be constantly drinking a mug of tea.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:13 pm 
Chard Martyr

I have a tonne of tea, mostly plain green and black. I never drink it. When I'm at work or at a restaurant and I make or order tea, I'm always all "OH YES TEA IS AWESOME", but as soon as I get home I forget. I think it's because we don't have a kettle. (I know there are other ways to boil water, but a pot on the stove doesn't scream "TEA!" quite like a kettle.) I am trying to at least think about drinking it more often, because I'm currently working from home and I'm freezing and thirsty in the mornings.

I really hate rooibos and fruit flavoured teas. I like the bitter stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Spiced pear tea + raspberry flavored agave = awesome.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:58 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Pretty much the only thing I like about my job is they have a decent tea selection in the break room. I bought one of those cute hot/cold tumblers (the kind with a straw) and have iced tea a lot in the afternoon.

I packet of black tea (english teatime) and one packet of rasberry herb tea. Make it SUPER STRONG and have over ice. Now everyone is doing it. I started a trend.

In the winter I like the Constant Comment kind. It was my mom's favorite tea...she is deceased, but when I drink it I always think of her.

I just have to say that I HATE FAKE TEA in resturants. You know, when you go to a fast casual place, and they have a soda fountain, and there is tea IN THE SODA FOUNTAIN. gross. that is so not tea. Tea needs to be brewed, not mixed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:39 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been drinking tea every day at work for months, but on the weekend I went to the farmers market and picked up some locally roasted coffee and I've been making myself a French press at my desk in the mornings. It's ridiculously good. I'm usually way too lazy to brew coffee for myself so I'd forgotten how much I like good, black coffee. Infinitely better than anything from any of the cafes near my office, and it's a fraction of the price.

Also, my cubicle smells glorious.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:10 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I bought some herbs & loose leaf tea while in Berkeley. However right now I am hooked on a roobios red with carrot & orange and a Kusmi loose leaf spice blend!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:04 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I've recently become hopelessly addicted to a Ginger and Tumeric herbal blend from Rishi. We always have Maté, chai, pu-erh, nettles, and mint on hand and then whatever fun things I can't resist!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 am 
Chard Martyr

Today at work I picked some lemon balm and mint, slapped them to get the oils going, topped it up with ice and eventually boiling water, and then I added a splash berry cordial.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Not a collector. I have Ceylon tea for everyday drinking, a fruity black tea for iced tea in the summer, and peppermint for when I want to drink tea but shouldn't (I feel really weird if I have more than four cups a day). I use a pot on the stove to boil the water, no room for an electric kettle! I'm too miserly to buy tea at school, so I bring a flask every day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:57 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I drink at least one cup of jasmine green tea daily. I usually either get it loose from the local farmers' market or in bags from the Asian market around here.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

teaaaaa
I have a split tea collection, pretty much all of my caffeinated teas are in my studio and all my decaf ones are at home.
in the studio I have :earl grey, chai, mango black tea, white tea+ginger, english breakfast, barley, and israeli fruit tea (and I also have french roast coffee grounds + a french press) I keep almond milk around for the coffee and agave for the tea (though in earl grey I put some almond milk as well)

at home I only have peppermint and ginger (oh and rooibos which I dislike greatly and have been sneaking it in to my friend's possession one bag in a pocket at a time.)

seriously drink like 3 mugs/day minimum. keeps me sane.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:57 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My lovely tea-addicted roomie just bought a big jar of (loose-leaf) Earl Grey creme for us, so I've been loving that lately. I also have bagged ginger, plain green, and chocolate hazelnut truffle (this stuff is amazeballs with some soy/almond milk and sugar). That's it, though, and I'm almost out of the chocolate stuff. . . need to go tea shopping soon.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So, I have a bunch of tea that I don't like. Anybody want this stuff?

1 box unopened pineapple flavored black tea my coworker brought me from Hawaii (just sound gross to me and I'm scared of it)
2 boxes Stash pumpkin spice (opened 1 box, used one tea bag - didn't like it)
4 boxes Stash decaf vanilla nut (unopened)
1 box Celestial Seasonings Nutcracker Sweet (mostly full - used a couple bags)
1 sample size tin each of Adagio cinnamon, jasmine, and Christmas - all mostly full, loose leaf
and a little bag of random assorted tea bags

If anyone wants these, you can have them. Just paypal me few bucks for a priority mail box. PM me!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:17 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm just getting into tea now so I'm happy to look through this thread! My mom got a box of tea forte teas for her birthday and I have been dipping in. I am OBSESSED with the black currant and can't wait to try other brands. I love the Harney & Sons tea tins and they totally get me because they're so pretty ( and only around $7 so it's not like I'm spending $11 on Republic of Tea teas sans adorable tea tin!)

I bought some coconut and chocolate and frankly hated it. I don't think the chocolate teas are for me :(. I used to be a barista and we would make earl grey lattes (like 3 earl grey tea bags, like 2 ounces of water, the rest steamed soy, and sugar in the raw. Yum.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:13 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

There was a pop up food market at the weekend with a tea stall so I got a small amount of lapsang souchong loose leaf after seeing this thread - gorgeous stuff indeed!

I'm pretty addicted to Teapigs jasmine pearls and their ordinary green (mao something) I drink about 3 or 4 cups of that a day. And I've just had oolong blue tea delivered which I'm quite excited about :)

I quite like the pukka detox teas as well. I think the only tea I don't really like anymore is ordinary black builders tea.

Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next