| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food For Those Who Can't Hold Anything Down
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

So, I've been extremely stressed out lately because of work, personal stuff and lack of sleep and every time I try to eat I end up puking it back up. I just can't seem to hold anything down lately, it all makes me sick. I also haven't had much energy to make anything grande so microwaving and boiling water has been my go-to. I'm starting to think that breads help me to keep things down because they bought subs for us at work today and those stayed down, and lately I've had the Panera black bean soup and bread for lunch and that seemed to hold well. I'm avoiding sugar right now because I'm ultra sensitive to it and I haven't been able to drink as much coffee as I usually do lately. So help me out, PPK! What requires little to no time or energy to make that I might be able to hold down? I can't keep eating the same things until this goes away (although I am not opposed to fancy sandwiches for a week straight). Snacks and meals that I can eat at work (we have a microwave) are much appreciated. Also, for some reason I've been doing good with bread but pasta will not stay down.

Post subject: Re: Food For Those Who Can't Hold Anything Down
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

With my nausea lately, I've had the best luck with plain hummus (light lemon, garlic, paprika) made into a quesadilla. I dry fry the quesadilla or stick it in the foreman so it's absolutely not greasy.

Tofu scramble and the blog sunflower Mac have been generally good choices too. Maybe that sauce on a baked potato instead of pasta?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sorry your stress is causing you to puke up all the yummy things you are eating :(

do you have v'con?
http://www.theppk.com/2007/09/chickpea- ... gans-soul/

pancakes/waffles?
oatmeal/grits?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I have major problems with this. Its like, the second anything goes wrong i fell nauseous. My go-tos are buttered noodles, oatmeal, iced tea, bagels and English muffins, and maybe refried beans and tortillas. Nothing fried, spicy, fatty or complicated is the key and no vegetables for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:28 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

also, small frequent meals. Don't try to eat too much at once and don't put too much in front of you at once.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

You guys are all bringing up things that ring true for me and some really great ideas, thank you!!! One problem that I would have is that I wouldn't be able to eat for a while so I would eat too much for me (I can only handle small amounts right now) and it would make me sick. It's hard when you're feeling nauseous and you work a lot, then you take your breaks but pretty much have to instantly get up and run around for another 6 hours.

I have yet to try buttered noodles so maybe I'll try that. I had pasta with marinara sauce on it and it didn't stay down so maybe I'll try something a little more plain (anything with tomatoes that aren't just regular sliced ones has been making me sick). Refried beans and tortillas is another really good idea. So is hummus and tortillas.

I've been wanting to make the chickpea noodle soup but don't have access to miso right now. Is there something else that I could sub? I tried eat brothy soup today and it didn't stay down but I think it was more because of the awful bullion that I used.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:36 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'll admit I just skimmed this thread so maybe I missed where you said anything about this, but could it be acid reflux? If so, tomato sauce and coffee would really be hard on you. My partner got hit by this pretty hard last year and he cleared it up by avoiding caffeine, alcohol, and tomatoes along with medication for a month.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 pm 
WELFARIST!

It's not acid reflux. I've had that before but this is different.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:01 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I would like to add a bit of info--- cardamom is good for increasing appetite/palatability of food when you're not feeling well. It always does the trick for me. I usually put it in oatmeal. Lots of dry things--- I imagine it's like eating for food poisoning, which is very bland food to just get something in there and not upset your stomach.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 am 
WELFARIST!

Thank you. :)

So I can't hold down sleepytime tea, either. I usually drink it every night but lately that's been coming back up as well.

Also, I also can't hold ginger down. I tried taking it for nausea but it made me pretty ill all night until it was completely out of me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:37 am 
Huffs Nooch

Sorry you are going through this.
When I feel nauseous the only things I can eat are roasted potato wedges(from fresh potatoes, not the pre cut ones that are fried a little) with a tiny bit of oil and salt and pepper, completely plain pasta and plain bagels.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ugh I'm sorry. I know how you feel. Stress can be so horrible on the stomach! I've got a big work presention coming up which means for the next two weeks I'm eating bland bland bland foods.

For me this means toast, plain unsweetened applesauce, plain brown rice (maybe with a little butter or salt mixed in), plain soy or rice milk, tortilla chips, rice cakes, plain tofu, oatmeal with just a tiny amount of sweetener. Anything with tomatoes makes me so sick. Maybe it's the acidity? Even bananas, which people recommend for upset stomachs, are too acidic for me! And like others said, with all this stuff I only eat a tiny bit at a time. Like 1/2 cup rice + 2 cubes of tofu and a few spoonfuls of applesauce. I've never tried beans; they always seemed difficult to digest but maybe I'll try that myself!

I have a stomach tea that contains fennel. You might give that a shot, but only take a few sips at a time. I hope you're feeling less stressed out soon! <3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:25 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Shamini wrote:
Sorry you are going through this.
When I feel nauseous the only things I can eat are roasted potato wedges(from fresh potatoes, not the pre cut ones that are fried a little) with a tiny bit of oil and salt and pepper, completely plain pasta and plain bagels.

Last time I had a stomach flu, the only thing I was able to eat were - potatoes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I had the stomach flu recently & for a week afterwards all I could eat was toast, lightly buttered rice & this soup:

Pastina pasta (barilla is egg free, or any pasta u like)
No chicken better than bouillion
Hot water

The soup was great because I just did a bunch of pasta at once then portioned it in containers with 1 tsp of the bouillon. Then I brought them to work & just filled it with hot water from the office water cooler. Worked like a charm. When I started to feel better I added a little nooch too.

I hope u feel better soon! Maybe a little deep breathing meditation/yoga might help you destress too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:44 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i had something like this (extreme stress) a few years ago- i drank soymilk and ate apples, that and ginger ale was about all i could hold down. i tried to find some of my favorite beers and have one at night if i thought i could stomach it [most times i couldn't]. i tried not to worry about it too much as long as i was getting in a few hundred calories per day and not zero.

hang in there, i hope your situation cools down again soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:19 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Peppermint is supposed to help the tummy, you could try eating a few hard candies during the day. They make those lollipops and drops for pregnant women so maybe there is something to sucking on hard candy. Peanut butter sandwiches? Bananas? Applesauce? Hope your stress dies down soon, I have been there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:41 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ijustdiedinside wrote:
also, small frequent meals. Don't try to eat too much at once and don't put too much in front of you at once.

This! I have had a hard time with food lately and eating small amounts frequently has been my saving grace from puketown. If I go out for a meal or something and order say, a curry and roti, I limit myself to a little bit at first because while I'm hungry, I do so much better on nausea when I wait a couple hours to snack on it later. I snack all day (pretzels, veggies/hummus, too often potato chips), because I find it's better to never let myself get too hungry or too full. When I'm really not feeling so hot, I just do juices and smoothies for snacks...pretty much anything with calories.

Being nauseated totally sucks, because eating is my favourite thing! Lately I've been super adverse to raw veggies, so salads are out. Baked potatoes are nice though. A pan of roasted root veggies is also nice.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:52 am 
Huffs Nooch

Ginger really helps nausea. Try drinking ginger tea or sucking on these really yummy hard candies called Gin-Gins. You could also try swallowing ginger capsules if you don't like the taste of ginger. It works for me!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=24501886[url][/url]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:42 pm 
WELFARIST!

Some great news after some crappy news! Last night I was so upset and stressed that I ended up puking up bile until 4am. My throat has been killing me all day and it's been difficult to speak but when I got to work today they had ordered more of those mini subs for us. They continued to stay down so I ate about a million throughout the day and drank a tiny bit of coffee. After I had some of the mini subs I was able to slowly drink a Mountain Dew (I needed caffeine in order to get me through work). After work I went shopping for some of the stuff suggested and got egg-free wide noodles, tortillas, refried beans, baguette, more Panera black bean soup, hummus, bagels, butter, etc. I also bought some applesauce made with apples and veggies. I thought that if that stayed down maybe I'd be able to get a bit of nutrition in me. So far I've had the buttered noodles and it stayed down and I've also been able to drink some kool-aid juice packet things (they look like capri sun).

I'm so exhausted from a lack of sleep, emotions, work, etc that I'll probably end up sleeping early tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You poor thing!

I agree with everyone who said plain noodles, that's my go-to. I like white pasta / barley / rice noodles with nooch and a little olive oil. And lots of crackers and sprite.

Hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:05 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Nothing to add to all the good advice. I just want to wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you get some relief from the stress that's going on at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I can't believe I am reading this. I too have nausea and vomiting due to stress. Or at least that is what the dr said after he ran every test under the sun. I honestly am not sure what you can eat to avoid that. I have a prescription for Zofran (now covered by insurance...yeah!) and another prescription that relaxes all my insides so that I don't get sick. Vegan eating helped me actually eat and gain some weight that I lost before going to the dr and getting on the meds. I hate taking meds but every time I try to stop, my digestive system seems to work in reverse.

I find that high fat food or food that really stuffs me makes everything worse. So I would try and avoid those. And for me, not eating anything after dinner, not even herbal tea at night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I'm so sorry, Mr. S! I can relate, unfortunately, because when I'm having a difficult time with panic and anxiety, I have NO appetite and everything makes me feel nauseous. I make a lot of smoothies during those times, actually I usually buy smoothies from Booster Juice (which I think is the equivalent, sort of, to the US Jamba Juice), because even making a smoothie takes more than I can give. But even when I'm not hungry, I can usually do a smoothie since I'm drinking my nutrition.

I hope things turn around for you soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:12 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

When I'm ill I make noodles soup by boiling rice noodles in a broth made out of bouillon powder and lots of chopped ginger (for the anti-nausea properties).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:27 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I also have pretty much chronic nausea, also brought on by stress. Dry toast, white rice, or brown rice pasta either plain or with a little olive oil are some of my safest foods. Mint tea or warm lemon water are also nice, though sometimes even the thought of acidic things makes me queasy.