| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No seriously: what ever happened to Tings?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Did they just disappear off the planet? A few years ago I used to eat them maniacally. I haven't seen them on a shelf in an age. Did they get discontinued?? Any suitable alternative (something corny/cheesy)?

Post subject: Re: No seriously: what ever happened to Tings?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:22 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

They're still around as far as I know. I haven't bought them in a while because I eat the whole bag when I do, but last I saw, they were still there. The bag did get a makeover not too long ago, maybe that's it?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:31 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

joyfulgirl wrote:
They're still around as far as I know. I haven't bought them in a while because I eat the whole bag when I do, but last I saw, they were still there. The bag did get a makeover not too long ago, maybe that's it?

Hmm, maybe that is it...but I swear I couldn't find them. What kind of a store did you find them in, in NY? I'm in San Francisco and I checked Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Rainbow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:43 pm 
Chard Martyr

We have them at our Whole Foods in IL. I've never seen them at my TJs or big grocery chains, though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:47 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I wish they didn't share machinery and equipment with the unvegan versions, I called the company and the lady on the phone said she didn't think they cared at all about mixing the production lines and that surely they contained dairy because of how the production ran... not to rain on anyone's parade but that was unfortunate, I prefer when the people on the phones tell me that all is pretty clean. That was years ago though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:48 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Meggs wrote:
We have them at our Whole Foods in IL. I've never seen them at my TJs or big grocery chains, though.

yeah, I still see them at Whole Foods but never at any grocery stores even though every single other store has Veggie Booty. What's up with that, you'd think Tings would be more "mainstream" than Veggie Booty.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:51 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I haven't seen them around here. I used to I think. I was looking for them the other day. I think they are better than Pirate's Booty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:58 pm 
Chard Martyr

Quarantined wrote:
What's up with that, you'd think Tings would be more "mainstream" than Veggie Booty.

I know!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:14 pm 
Hip Goiter

I bet Kraft and Nabisco et al. made shady deals forbidding supermarkets from selling anything that directly competes with their products - e.g. Cheetos v. Tings - whereas what does Big Food have that is a competitor of Veggie Booty??

haha I'm just making crazy talk.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

punky! wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:

Hmm, maybe that is it...but I swear I couldn't find them. What kind of a store did you find them in, in NY? I'm in San Francisco and I checked Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Rainbow.

I find them in regular big chain grocery stores!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

RandiJM wrote:
I bet Kraft and Nabisco et al. made shady deals forbidding supermarkets from selling anything that directly competes with their products - e.g. Cheetos v. Tings - whereas what does Big Food have that is a competitor of Veggie Booty??

this theory sounds entirely plausible to me.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

They went missing from Kansas City sometime last year and it's broken my heart. My mom-in-law brought me some bags over the summer, and they were eaten too quickly. Maybe the midwest is off their distro list? My plan is to hopefully stock up when we head back east over Christmas.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Karen wrote:
I wish they didn't share machinery and equipment with the unvegan versions, I called the company and the lady on the phone said she didn't think they cared at all about mixing the production lines and that surely they contained dairy because of how the production ran... not to rain on anyone's parade but that was unfortunate, I prefer when the people on the phones tell me that all is pretty clean. That was years ago though.

This sounds sketchy to me. My old roommate is a food scientist and she has worked in production lines and a great deal of her job was making sure standards were met after production runs. According to her there are industry wide standard operating procedures for this stuff, even if the items are not much different. They have to make a reasonable effort to be sure the ingredient labels are accurate. (she told me this during an anecdote involving chicken feathers--yuck!)

But anyway, I seriously doubt that people on the phones are privvy to much information about the production lines other than most likely being told that allergens can be found because they don't do a total sterilization in between, which is standard CYA and labels always say traces may remain.

I can still find Tings here both in Giant and Wegmans.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Sounds like a letter to Tings HQ is in order.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

We have Tings at the co-op and at the bigger chain grocery stores in the health food section.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:
Karen wrote:

This sounds sketchy to me. My old roommate is a food scientist and she has worked in production lines and a great deal of her job was making sure standards were met after production runs. According to her there are industry wide standard operating procedures for this stuff, even if the items are not much different. They have to make a reasonable effort to be sure the ingredient labels are accurate. (she told me this during an anecdote involving chicken feathers--yuck!)

But anyway, I seriously doubt that people on the phones are privvy to much information about the production lines other than most likely being told that allergens can be found because they don't do a total sterilization in between, which is standard CYA and labels always say traces may remain.

I can still find Tings here both in Giant and Wegmans.

I too have inspector friends and from what I hear, food production lines are spotless. Either way, I'm still eating tings by the bagful as they are as vegan as possible (like me). I get them at Wegmans and the coop. Not sure if theyre at the other chain supermarkets since I cant cheat on Wegmans.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can't find Tings here, but when I used to live in Colorado, I could find them at the big chain stores (Safeway and King Soopers) and also at WF.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

I love tings! I can find them at my local Giant Eagle usually but strangely enough the co-op doesn't carry them. I can definitely go through a bag in a single sitting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

They still sell them here in Tucson- and oddly enough the only place is the import store.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:07 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

They disappeared from my (Indianapolis, IN) WF about a year ago, but my local health food store carries them. I think you can still order them on amazon though.

baszilla.tumblr.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

RandiJM wrote:

I worked in grocery retail and that is crazy talk. No retailer would make that kind of deal with a supplier. The food companies make deals to get their products more exposure in retail locations, they don't have the power in the relationship. A company isn't going to discontinue a product at a vendor's request.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:11 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I usually get them at WF. I have noticed that they disappear every now and then. I'll go in and they won't have them for 2-3 weeks and then they reappear.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I will double check Rainbow, the last time I wanted to buy them they had them there. After they changed the packaging and the formula I didn't really care for them as much.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:06 am 
Chip Strong

I see them at Market Basket all the time, which is weird because Market Basket kind of sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

they're still around here as well - i find them at my local natural foods store, or i buy bags of them in bulk on amazon.com.