| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Non-dairy milk that doesn't curdle!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:28 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I've used So Delicious Coconut Milk (plain, unsweetened, and plain) and I haven't had any curdling problems in my tea or coffee. They have a creamer too that I like. I also use almond milk alot, but mine doesn't curdle like you say your has. Do you drink very strong coffee? Or perhaps a really acidic one?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I just use regular Silk in mine and have been for months now. I also put my milk in first, so maybe that's why. When I was using Silk creamer I put it in after my coffee and it curdled about half the time. Funny, I never related it to the coffee-creamer order until now.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Have you tried warming the milk in the microwave for 20 sec or so before adding it to your coffee?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:17 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

ScooterDiva wrote:
Have you tried warming the milk in the microwave for 20 sec or so before adding it to your coffee?

Tried that once expecting it to work...I think it did partially? It still curdled. Actually, I think they sell a soy beverage on www.culturedcoffebean.com that's especially made to be used in coffeeshops that doesn't curdle/can be steamed for espresso, lattes, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:25 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I've noticed that a lot of the milks curdle in hot chai and coffee. The soymilk from Costco (non-refrigerated Kirkland brand) works great with no curdling. The milk tastes good too, and is pretty cheap. I think it's organic as well.

The new Silk almond milk and So Delicious coconut milk also don't curdle in tea or coffee that I've noticed.

There's nothing grosser than looking at your cup of tea with curds floating in it. Yuck!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:14 pm 

Agh, the curdling thing sucks. I use the soymilk from Costco (Kirkland) as well and it works great.

Also, I heat my soymilk until it's warm but not hot and then slowly pour the coffee in while simultaneously stirring.

I would totally walk into the kale fetish party with a sparkly silver penis suctioned to my forehead and be like, hey, I'm a unicorn! - choirqueer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:29 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

mollyjade wrote:
Didn't someone discover that curdling also had to do with how acidic your coffee was?

That might have been me rambling on about how you're probably making your coffee wrong if any sort of milk curdles in it. I use 100% arabica beans and a stove top espresso maker and get no curdling, ever, no matter how quickly I pour extremely hot coffee into very cold milk without stirring. That goes for soy milk with no stabilisers, i.e. just beans and water, too. I only had a problem the time I poured spiced rum that had a bit of lime juice in it in without thinking. That said, calcium fortified milks might be a little less prone to curdling because you get a slight buffering effect though. Alpro seems to have reformulated their recipe recently, and they mention it's suitable for coffee on the package.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:46 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

kibbles wrote:
I am always confused when people ask this. How bad is your milk curdling? I never notice it with any kind of milk in coffee or tea. I just made a cup and I do notice a few little flecks of curdle but not much! Is that what you're all talking about?

when my kiddo was in the hospital i added some kikkoman soy milk to some too hot dunkin donuts coffee and the whole cup was a swirl of curdle - it was horrible - i had to throw it out.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:50 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

appifanie wrote:
kibbles wrote:
I am always confused when people ask this. How bad is your milk curdling? I never notice it with any kind of milk in coffee or tea. I just made a cup and I do notice a few little flecks of curdle but not much! Is that what you're all talking about?

when my kiddo was in the hospital i added some kikkoman soy milk to some too hot dunkin donuts coffee and the whole cup was a swirl of curdle - it was horrible - i had to throw it out.

I have to admit, when I'm out and about and this happens (never seems to happen at home), I just stir and put a top on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:20 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

You mustards cursed me! I started making coffee with a new batch of fresh ground beans (I think I ground them too fine) and it's making my soy milk curdle and it's NASTY!! I know what you mean now. I'm sure it's the acidity, curdles in milk and soy milk forms in the presence of acids (how they make cheese and tofu). I suppose when the coffee is more finely ground or brewed longer there's more acid and this causes it to curdle. I usually like my coffee very light and that's why it never curdled. Until now.. ugh!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:16 pm 

I hate the curdle so much! At this point I have figured out that Silk is the only one that doesn't curdle on me. I alternate between vanilla and chocolate. The place I used to work at used Kirkland and that was really good, but I don't have a Costco membership so I can't buy it. I was trying to find a soy free alternative and Almond Breeze definitely did not work for me in hot coffee, but it's good in iced coffee. I am always so apprehensive about buying coffee in cafes because 9 times out of 10 it curdles and I won't drink it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:26 pm 

I'm not sure if you're looking for one just to stir into hot coffee at home, or for a brand to keep an eye out for at coffeeshops....I am having a hard time finding a coffeeshop that can make a good cafe-au-soy-lait without the milk curdling. I think silk has been my luckiest find, honestly. maybe it's technique, too?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:20 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

kibbles wrote:
You mustards cursed me! I started making coffee with a new batch of fresh ground beans (I think I ground them too fine) and it's making my soy milk curdle and it's NASTY!! I know what you mean now. I'm sure it's the acidity, curdles in milk and soy milk forms in the presence of acids (how they make cheese and tofu). I suppose when the coffee is more finely ground or brewed longer there's more acid and this causes it to curdle. I usually like my coffee very light and that's why it never curdled. Until now.. ugh!

That's why stovetop espresso makers make coffee that won't curdle anything. It's less acidic since the water never sits in the ground coffee, but it's still strong, albeit technically not espresso.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:56 am 

kibbles wrote:

The depths of the evilness is unmeasurable. It wasn't curdling in the coffee... it was curdled in the carton. Or maybe I just failed to check the exp. date... OR YOU ALL CURSED ME!!

Anyway, all is back to normal. I still don't get curdles with fresh soy milk.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:44 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I pour cold Silk into hot tea all the time and it never curdles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:48 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

vitasoy was THE BEST in regards to this (and other things. miss it!). It would never ever curdle (which was problematic when cooking/baking required it to).
I think its actually a combination of the heat and the acidity and what i do is just put the milk in first and then a splash of the coffee, swirl it, then add a splash more, swirl it, then pour the rest in. I guess its basically tempering the milk to the acid/heat but it avoids the curdling every time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:01 pm 

janemoffat wrote:
vitasoy was THE BEST in regards to this (and other things. miss it!). It would never ever curdle (which was problematic when cooking/baking required it to).
I think its actually a combination of the heat and the acidity and what i do is just put the milk in first and then a splash of the coffee, swirl it, then add a splash more, swirl it, then pour the rest in. I guess its basically tempering the milk to the acid/heat but it avoids the curdling every time.

Was Vitasoy discontinued or something?? :\

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have never had rice dream curdle in tea or coffee.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:50 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I know I'm reviving an old thread but I wanted to let everyone know that Pacific Foods Almond Milk definitely does not curdle!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:05 pm 

ashley wrote:
I pour cold Silk into hot tea all the time and it never curdles.

Yep, I finally found my ideal non-curdling milk in Silk!! Bought it for the first time a few weeks ago, and it does not curdle, even if you pour it directly into hot coffee or tea! Amazing. And I think it goes both ways...tried it with the boxed shelf-stable kind and it still worked. But Silk creamer is still the best for coffee :) yum!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:25 pm 

The only time stuff curdles for me is when it's already curdled before pouring it in the coffee.

Does anyone use Trader Joe's Soy Creamer? That stuff is really really good, I prefer it to Silk. I buy them 5 or 6 at the time. Also, did anyone try to vacuum packed Mimic creamer yet? How is it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I use Organic Valley and have never had a problem and I'm horrible about just sloshing milk into my coffee. Maybe we just don't drink acidic coffee. Or OV is just magic soy milk.