| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pressure Cooker Recipes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:39 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I convinced myself to get an instant pot (slow cooker/steamer/pressure cooker/rice cooker/etc) and want to know what can I/should I make in it. Any ideas welcome!

Post subject: Re: Pressure Cooker Recipes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:53 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm boring, I mostly cook beans in my pressure cooker. I like to add garlic, onions, beans, water and just some salt. I use my pressure cooker to make beans twice/week.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

+1 for beans.

That's what I usually make too but JL Fields' cookbook had me making more creative things for a while. Definitely check it out. This is a good chili from the book:

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2014/1 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I love JL Fields' mushroom rice recipe. I usually triple it. It doesn't dry out in fridge like plain rice.
LINK: http://www.quarryspoon.com/2015/05/vida ... -rice.html

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:46 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have the cookbook Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure (it's vegan though!) and it is a great book. The chapter and tables for cooking grains and beans are wonderful. The recipes are good too. The New Mexico Pinto Bean Soup is a staple in my house.

I also use my pressure cooker to make stock! collect those veggie scraps all week.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Vegetarian- ... 0688123260

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:44 pm 

Thanks all for the ideas. I'd love to use JL Field's book, but she uses a stovetop pressure cooker and mine is electric, so I wonder how much the recipe times/preparations differ. My first meal was basmati rice (fantastic!) and veg curry with a storebought sauce (just ok).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:17 am 

ScooterDiva wrote:
Thanks all for the ideas. I'd love to use JL Field's book, but she uses a stovetop pressure cooker and mine is electric, so I wonder how much the recipe times/preparations differ. My first meal was basmati rice (fantastic!) and veg curry with a storebought sauce (just ok).

I make the mushroom rice with an instant pot. I use white basmati rice - 3 C basmati:3.5 C water plus the mushrooms cooked on high for 11 minutes, natural pressure release.

I just follow the directions she gives in the recipes and use the manual setting on high for the time she gives. I haven't cooked that much out of it, to be honest.

I've made a ton of foil-wrapped seitan using the Steam setting, natural pressure release, usually for whatever time the original recipe specified for steaming. The instant pot is awesome at that -- you just put a cup of water in the pot, put in a trivet, load it up with the foil wrapped seitan, set the time, and come back when the pressure is released. The Instant Pot stays clean and you can easily cook double or triple batches of seitan.

There's another vegan pressure cooking book that works perfectly with the Instant Pot - The New Fast Food by Jill Nussinow. Her recipes were also developed with a stovetop pressure cooker, but people in various vegan/plant-based/Fuhrman Facebook groups all report that her recipes convert to the Instant Pot without any changes. I recommend that you buy her book from her website and not from Amazon. She's also super helpful if you join any of the vegan Instant Pot FB groups.

One really great Instant Pot trick that I love is steaming broccoli. I hate dealing with stovetop steaming -- I always worry about boiling dry or oversteamed or soggy broccoli. Now I just break up the broccoli into spears or florets, put 1/2-1 C of water in the pot, put in the trivet, and then put in the broccoli. Or you can put the broccoli in a ceramic bowl and put the bowl in the pot instead of the trivet. Close the instant pot and cook on manual for 0 minutes with high pressure, do a quick release with the valve, and serve. If it's not cooked enough, do it again. And yes - set it for zero minutes. The broccoli cooks while the steam comes up to pressure. You can try this technique with other soft veggies.

Have fun! The instant pot is a big sort of costly appliance, but it let me retire my rice cooker, slow cooker (it's great because you can use the IP saute feature to saute onions and brown things in the pot before you go to the slow cook mode), steamer, and yogurt maker. It definitely earned its place on the counter next to my VitaMix.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:27 pm 

Quagga, thanks for all of that excellent advice!! I way overcooked the veggies yesterday on a 7 min setting. I think 1 or 2 minutes would be perfect. I do love that it's replacing my slow cooker and rice cooker, and that I can steam seitan finally (I always had brainy seitan when I boiled it). I'm used to steaming my broccoli in the microwave but I'll definitely try it in the IP. Didn't know there were FB instant pot pages. Will check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:47 am 
Tofu Pup

My Instant Pot has definitely changed my seitan for the better. I also had squishy results before, but steaming in the IP works great, and you don't have to worry about the water running dry.
I use it for cooking beets - on the steamer rack with a cup of water underneath, and about 20-25 minutes on High Pressure. I did whole sweet potatoes once, about 12 minutes at High pressure. And some medium-sized red potatoes for salad, at about the same cooking time.
I'm still working out the cooking times for beans that work well for me. The timings in the IP manual seem to be mostly wrong. I have the Vegan Pressure Cooking book, and those times are better.
Also, steel cut oats: 3 minutes at high.
And pearl barley: 1 cup barley, 1 ¾ cups water, a spoonful of veggie bouillon concentrate, 18 min on high. Some smoked sun-dried tomatoes are nice in this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:05 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I got an Instant Pot on Black Friday & have yet to christen it. I'd love to see more ideas/recipes from all of you who have this!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:30 pm 

I made this lentil soup yesterday and shared it with a friend recovering from surgery. He loved it! I added celery to the mix, just because. It was maybe 15 minutes of prep time chopping the veggies. Being able to saute the onions in the IP saves me time in cleaning up a frying pan.
http://whattheheckdoieatnow.com/2015/11/15/lentil-soup/

After I made the soup, I used the yogurt setting to make some yogurt (also for my friend). He was a big fan of the old WholeSoy plain yogurt and my homemade yogurt is a pretty good substitute in his opinion.

ALSO...I've simplified my mushroom rice recipe for the better - I slice up 4 fresh shiitake mushroom and saute it with some oil (sesame oil is good), 1 teaspoon of salt, a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper. After a bit, I add in 2 C basmati rice and saute that, then add 3 cups of water. I close the lid and cook for 11 minutes on high, NPR. It's delicious and keeps well.

I love this appliance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:37 pm 

One thing I still have to try with the IP is tamales. I have all the ingredients, but not the discipline.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:39 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I have the Great Vegetarian under pressure. We cook the Thai chickpeas all the time but we change up the vegetables. We do white potato, we add mushrooms, seitan, green beans. I add a lot more veg than it calls for and definitely use the basil and add cilantro. Its the best. Even as written. You won't be disappointed if you love thai flavors.
http://www.veganpeace.com/recipe_pages/ ... ckpeas.htm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:40 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

IMO Lorna Sass's cookbooks, Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure and Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen (the latter was originally published as Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen) are still the best, most authoritative cookbooks on the topic of vegan pressure cooking.

Despite its title, Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen is actually a vegan cookbook, and almost every recipe in it has pressure cooking directions as well as directions for cooks who don't own pressure cookers. There are pressure cooking times charts for grains and legumes that I always refer to when pressure cooking a pot of beans.

This cookbook is out of print, but can be bought on Amazon for pennies:

http://www.amazon.com/Lorna-Sass-Comple ... 0060007745

Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure is almost all vegan -- I think there are a few recipes where cheese is optional and that's it.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Vegetarian- ... 688123260/

In summary, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two cookbooks. I bought JL Fields' cookbook too, but her recipes are much more basic than Lorna Sass's.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:17 pm 

LFL wrote:
I bought JL Fields' cookbook too, but her recipes are much more basic than Lorna Sass's.

I totally agree with this, and I guess that's what I like about her book?

I had Sass's pressure cooking books, but they just didn't interest me at the time and I gave them away - maybe it was the writing? or the design? Or maybe I just didn't care for Sass? She's definitely not vegetarian in her real life and I may have felt some ill-will toward her book for that.

HeatherBear - that Thai chickpea recipe looks delicious! I'm going to put it on my list of recipes to try out sooner than later. Clearly I didn't explore the Sass cookbooks enough when I had them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:35 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

quagga wrote:
LFL wrote:
I bought JL Fields' cookbook too, but her recipes are much more basic than Lorna Sass's.

I had Sass's pressure cooking books, but they just didn't interest me at the time and I gave them away - maybe it was the writing? or the design? Or maybe I just didn't care for Sass? She's definitely not vegetarian in her real life and I may have felt some ill-will toward her book for that.

HeatherBear - that Thai chickpea recipe looks delicious! I'm going to put it on my list of recipes to try out sooner than later. Clearly I didn't explore the Sass cookbooks enough when I had them.

Do it, it is totally amazing. Its a great basic recipe. We add whatever protein and veg we want. Although we always have it with chickpeas we love adding fried tofu.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Wow, already several responses--awesome! Thanks to quagga, HeatherBear, & LFL for all of your help. I have a kindle copy of JL's book, & I recently got a used copy of Lorna's Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure. I guess I'm just a bit daunted by this gadget, as I don't have experience with pressure cooking. Please keep the ideas, recipes, & advice coming.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:49 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh yay! You guys rock! I got an IP for Xmas and I'm excited but also intimidated! Thanks for sharing!

THROW A forking YAM IN THE OVEN ITS forking CHRISTMAS - LisaPunk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:25 pm 

Don't be intimidated by this appliance--I've had no issues with it. Find some good tried and true IP recipes (like the ones mentioned here) and get that baby cookin'! :)

I think a really good place to start is simply to cook your own beans. I suggest making a batch of garbanzo beans (and save the cooking liquid for aquafaba experiments!).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:45 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I have an electric counter top one, which is great! Beans, rice, potatoes are mostly what I use it for but I love a good pressure cooker recipe. Mostly I've made baked or seasoned beans, some tofu dishes, and soups. Hoping this thread will help me branch out! It makes food so much faster!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:15 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

quagga wrote:
LFL wrote:

I can understand that. At the time I bought her cookbooks Sass was vegan, having changed her diet after writing a few omni cookbooks, but I don't know whether she still is. This was in the days before I had internet access, so I wrote to her in care of her publisher to ask for advice on what pressure cooker to purchase. She wrote me back the nicest letter and even included a photocopy of a newspaper clipping from a New York Times article on what was then the new generation of safe pressure cookers. It was my only interaction with her, but I bought my pressure cooker based on her advice and I'll always have a warm spot for her because of it.

Jill Nussinow also has a vegan pressure cooking cookbook, coming out in 12 days. I haven't read it or tested for it, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:08 pm 

LFL wrote:
She wrote me back the nicest letter and even included a photocopy of a newspaper clipping from a New York Times article on what was then the new generation of safe pressure cookers. It was my only interaction with her, but I bought my pressure cooker based on her advice and I'll always have a warm spot for her because of it.

Jill Nussinow also has a vegan pressure cooking cookbook, coming out in 12 days. I haven't read it or tested for it, though.

That is so sweet!

Nussinow already has a vegan pressure cooking book, but this new one has more recipes in it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:45 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

quagga wrote:
LFL wrote:
Nussinow already has a vegan pressure cooking book, but this new one has more recipes in it.

Thanks, that's good to know!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:53 am 

Has anyone tried using a silicon trivat/steamer in their pressure cooker?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:09 am 

LFL wrote:
IMO Lorna Sass's cookbooks, Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure and Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen (the latter was originally published as Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen) are still the best, most authoritative cookbooks on the topic of vegan pressure cooking.

Despite its title, Lorna Sass' Complete Vegetarian Kitchen is actually a vegan cookbook, and almost every recipe in it has pressure cooking directions as well as directions for cooks who don't own pressure cookers. There are pressure cooking times charts for grains and legumes that I always refer to when pressure cooking a pot of beans.

This cookbook is out of print, but can be bought on Amazon for pennies:

http://www.amazon.com/Lorna-Sass-Comple ... 0060007745

Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure is almost all vegan -- I think there are a few recipes where cheese is optional and that's it.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Vegetarian- ... 688123260/

In summary, I don't think you can go wrong with either of these two cookbooks. I bought JL Fields' cookbook too, but her recipes are much more basic than Lorna Sass's.

Damn, I had both of those in my cart and they have 68$ of shipping to go to canada. On amazon.ca both books are 25+