| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: another omni potluck question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ok i really did do a search before starting this thread and scrolled through 5 pages before posting this. all the older threads seem to be breakfast/brunch related or cookout related or the word potluck showing up in random threads.

my daughter started preschool and towards the end of October they have a parents only potluck. i feel like if i dont bring something i wont be able to eat so i am definitely bring the kale & butternut squash salad and the lemon blueberry loaf both from Isa Does It.
but im wondering if i should bring some sort of main course thing.

ive flipped through a bunch of cookbooks and cant figure out what to bring. i dont want to have to put too much effort into it since im already making two other things. the chickpea and broccoli casserole from VWAV is always a winner and super easy but i dont know how hot it will stay and if i can use their oven to reheat it.

there is literally no information on the evite other than when it is, not to bring your kids (though several people seem to be ignoring this), and to list what you are bringing on your RSVP so other people can see and basically no one did that either so i see one person said they are bringing an app.

hurrumph

if you were hosting a potluck and one guest showed up with basically a whole meal would you feel insulted? am i bringing too much food? im just assuming i wont be able to eat anything else

Post subject: Re: another omni potluck question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:44 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

What time of day is the potluck? If it isn't a dinner-hour potluck you are probably good with the salad and loaf. If it is supposed to be, you know, DINNER then I would make a casserole or something in a slow cooker.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:30 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

What I would do personally to be sure to have something to eat without getting too tired is bring a main course only, or a main course with either the salad or dessert. The traditional "egg" salad sandwiches from Complete Guide to Vegan Food Substitutions may be my choice since they wow omnis and don't have to be reheated.

I don't think the hostess would be insulted though if you brought three dishes. At potlucks, it's common in my experience that a couple people choose to bring a ton of things, and it's just perceived as generous. (Potlucks are lax affairs where I live, so they might be more codified elsewhere, I don't know.)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:57 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

For some reason I keep thinking about the asparagus pickle potato salad from Vegan al Fresca. It's so good. Asparagus is definitely not in season, but you could sub green beans or something. It's just so surprisingly delicious and mayo-free so less "weird" vegan. It's on google books if you don't have a copy, but that book is so worth it. I didn't think I'd use it much, but I love it! Not a main, but it's potatoes so substantial.

Also, no kids allowed? Bring wine.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I wouldn't feel weird about bringing multiple courses as long as they were something that omnis would eat without thinking it was "weird". A pasta salad with beans and vegetables with a vinagrette instead of a mayo based sauce tends to go over really well with people and can be hearty enough for a main if there's nothing else for you. And pretty much everyone loves baked goods - they'll never even know that they're egg and dairy free.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:26 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yah I don't think it would be weird to bring a few dishes. Dessert and a heartier side that can sub as a meal is my usual go to but a salad kinda side and a main doesn't seem to weird.
Plus unless it's seitan or tofu most omni's wouldn't think twice about eating it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:10 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

it's at 7:30 so maybe i will make the chikpea broccoli casserole. that's a pretty easy one.
thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm going to go against the flow and say that anything over two dishes is going to look a little over-zealous. The ones you mention sound good and there will probably be at least one other thing someone else brings that's accidentally vegan.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:39 pm 
Saggy Butt

You might suggest that ingredient cards would be helpful for people with allergies or special dietary needs. We always ask people to bring them (even to vegan potlucks,) plus bring cards/pens for people who forget. I have gone to so many omni potlucks in the past where I didn't know who brought what, or if any of them were okay for me to eat.

And I would probably just bring a main course, and eat some lighter food before going, unless people go back and list what they're bringing on the evite.