| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cooking Seitan Roast Without Aluminum Foil
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I really want to try making a stuffed seitan roast for Thanksgiving this year, which of course means I will have to do a test run sooner. All of the recipes I found call for wrapping in aluminum foil and then baking. I am probably crazy, but when I have tried to steam seitan in foil, I feel like I can taste a slightly metallic taste to it. So for steaming, I have taken to wrapping the seitan in cheese cloth and it comes out great. I have never tried roasting seitan though. Would cheese cloth work fine? Should I just rub it with some olive oil and roast directly in a pan? Any other ideas?

Post subject: Re: Cooking Seitan Roast Without Aluminum Foil
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:15 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Hm. I bet the cheesecloth could work in the oven, especially if you kept basting it so it didn't dry out and burn. I've made cheeses before that are baked in cheesecloth but at very low temperatures.

I've baked seitan without any wrapping but it does tend to spread out, so probably not what you'd want for a stuffed roast.

What about like a layer of parchment and then the foil? Or even that fancy parchment lined foil? Maybe you wouldn't get the metallic taste that way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Pinko wrote:
What about like a layer of parchment and then the foil? Or even that fancy parchment lined foil? Maybe you wouldn't get the metallic taste that way.

I was going to say the same thing! Or you could probably just use parchment as long as you tie off the ends really well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:24 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Good ideas. Maybe I'll try just parchment, and if that doesn't work or I can't get it tight enough I'll try parchment and then aluminum foil. I am still new to making my own seitan, so I'm just figuring all of this stuff out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:30 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

Cheesecloth does fine in the oven! It would only burn if your roast would also burn, so it's not something I'd worry about! Just put the excess tied-off cheesecloth on the bottom.

I'd also recommend steaming maybe partially before roasting, maybe I'm just not great at making seitan (true), but when I used to *just* roast it, it'd never turn out yummy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:58 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Since posting this, I found a recipe that has the roast baked in a covered casserole with a bit of broth on the bottom. I wonder if that would give the combo roast/steam result. It's a good thing we have a lot of weeks before Thanksgiving for me to test this out. At least I know one thing I'm making for dinner this week.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:54 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

they also make foil with a silicone coating. (i think i remember maybe the large grill-specific reynolds roll had that, maybe.) that may help shield the food enough from the metal flavor. couldn't hurt to try if you want to make a fol-specific recipe.

i made a potroast from vegan on the cheap (or possibly vegan slow cooker from robin robertson?) that surrounded a roast with potatoes and carrots in a crockpot. my only issue with it was that it was spongy, but that could have been user error. i've only made it once, but the vegetables were AMAZING!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:53 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've made it in ceramic dishes before. Basically, anything that gets hot and retains moisture is fine. You could probably do it in a unicorn cake tin if the need took you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:04 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I mean, I think you are kidding, but now I kind of need a unicorn shaped seitan roast. I do have a Wonder Woman cake pan, and dinosaur muffin tins and now I am thinking of all the fun shaped seitan I can make.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:50 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I just made a seitan roast for Rosh Hashana (I used aluminum foil -- I don't taste it) But just a tip which may or may not be relevant for your Thanksgiving meal. The first time I was going to eat it (I brought it as a protein source for a 4 day holiday in a non-veg household) it was put on the hotplate an hour before dinner with the other food. Come time to eat it, and I discovered the bottom has been burned to a crisp and I couldn't cut through it for the life of me.

Next few meals, we stuck it in a slightly warm over. So just know...direct bottom heat is dangerous here!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:34 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've done individual seitan roulades tied up with cooking twine and lightly pan-fried, then put in an oven dish with a little stock in the bottom in a moderate oven, basting every 15 minutes. Because they were individual sized, they didn't take as long to cook and didn't dry out.