| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CSA 2015!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:06 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Ok, it might be a little early to start this thread, but I am excited so I'll do it anyway. My CSA in Brooklyn starts distribution in June but we opened signups a few days ago and are already over half full! We're one of the few CSAs in the area that charge on a sliding scale and accept food stamps, which is one of the things that makes us appealing. Also our fruit and veggies are really, really good.

We added a whole bunch of extra share options this year, including mushrooms which I am super pumped about. We'll see if I still feel that way after getting 1/2 a pound of mushrooms every week for 22 weeks..

Is anyone else getting ready for their CSA season or just excited for it to start?

Post subject: Re: CSA 2015!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:20 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

We signed up for a CSA this year! I am so excited! We are doing a half box since it is only 2 of us and we were able to get payment assistance for being low-income so I can't believe we were able to budget for a CSA share! Apparently sometimes we will even get mushrooms and a bit of maple syrup...amazing!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm pretty excited for our CSA to start this year (late April). It's only my husband & my 2nd year of trying a CSA (sorry for the grammar there). Last year was somewhat disappointing, but I'm really looking forward to the one we've chosen for this year. It's a community of 9 or so different farmers, so there will be a much larger variety of produce. We went for the full share, so we'll probably have more than enough and we can pay for it weekly (through Paypal!). It's also 28 weeks- way, way longer than ours lasted in 2014.

I'm really jazzed. :) I'm happy to see what other areas of the country will be receiving as well, and what kind of dishes you guys and gals will use your items in!

Mushrooms would be so exciting by the way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:37 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

in looking for a place to buy yacon, i found a service called farm to city's winter harvest. it's kind of a cooperative thing where people can put in an order and then the farms deliver to the people who truck it around to neighborhood pick-up sites. it's pretty awesome! a week and a half ago i got the yacon, 4 varieties of sweet potato (i mainly wanted these so i could grow slips for my own garden. beauregard, fingerling, hernandez and jewel) small yellow potatoes and small mixed potatoes. (also, some to grow, even though they're not certified seed potatoes. whatevs.) i also got the best apple cider i've ever tasted and gold rush apples (very tasty)
the only thing that sucked is that my "candy onions" smelled really strongly and then started to get moldy within a week. (and one started to sprout)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 pm 

I've never heard of yacon (when I first read your post I assumed it was some new kind of vegan bacon). That's really cool though! NYC has a couple of those types of delivery services, Farmigo and Nextdoororganics and Goodeggs and probably more that I don't even know about. But CSA will always be my favourite because I really like getting unexpected and new-to-me things. My favorite things in that category last year were husk cherries and tatsoi.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:25 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I would love to get a CSA share, but it's just me, and I'm really concerned about how much food I am able to consume during the week. None of the CSA have been super helpful about whether one person could use all of one share. My roommate buys like 2 peppers and a bag of shredded carrots for 3 weeks, so she is definitely not sharing with me :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

the 2 of us had trouble eating the full share from last year. (but i also grow stuff, so that was also likely our problem) so we decided to downgrade. a full bushel was about the same size box as a cardboard banker's box if that helps. a little smaller than a case of copy machine paper.

i just got an e-mail that there aren't enough subscribers to make my drop-off location viable. (!!!) i'm deciding whether to pull out of honeybrook (fully organic, up near fancy-pants princeton, so they won't hurt if they lose my town.) and instead sign up for a slightly closer but more southward transitioning farm. (only about 1/2 of the stuff is organic, and they're not really near any fancy-pants cities, but because they're southward, they might have more success with more varieties of veggies.) i feel kinda betrayed. they aren't clear in whether they would drop us this year or if they'd still deliver this year but cancel future years. i sent them an e-mail asking if they would do that and how many other subscriptions they would need to make it viable. (like is it 3 or 10?)

i am definitely considering not signing up with them again next year if they'd treat us the way i am afraid they're going to treat us. (besides, the transitioning farm is a regular fixture at the local farmer's market, so there's no chance of us being unceremoniously dropped because we're "unviable")

is that how you interpret it? if they weren't planning on dropping us this year if they didn't get more people signing up, then why would they have sent us an e-mail at all? if they were planning on taking some of the risks, wouldn't they have told us later in the season and assure us that they were going to cancel future years, but we were safe for this year?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

TomeOrnottome wrote:
I would love to get a CSA share, but it's just me, and I'm really concerned about how much food I am able to consume during the week. None of the CSA have been super helpful about whether one person could use all of one share. My roommate buys like 2 peppers and a bag of shredded carrots for 3 weeks, so she is definitely not sharing with me :P

You have to be dedicated and have some free time, but I live alone and have generally been able to get though a half-share. One thing that helped me was switching to a program where I could get a full amount every other week, rather than a half amount every week. I've also found that the produce keeps MUCH longer than anything from the grocery store, so you have some time to figure out how to cook it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:39 pm 

TomeOrnottome wrote:

Hmm, maybe there's someone already in the CSA (or interested in joining) who wants to split a share with you? I just posted on my CSA's facebook page on behalf of someone who wants to join us but doesn't think she'll be able to use an entire share.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:04 pm 

Just found out that sunflower sprouts will be in our first CSA pickup this wknd. I'm waiting to hear what else we'll get. I'm so excited!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:48 am 

Here's our first-pickup:

Pictured clockwise from top left:
~Bag of mixed leaf lettuces & arugula
~Bunch of baby bok choy
~Very large head of Tokyo Lettuce
~Baby Collard Greens?
~Red Russian Kale
~Chocolate Mint
~Sunflower Sprouts

A super-healthy green bag indeed!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:48 am 

Zula wrote:
Here's our first-pickup:

Pictured clockwise from top left:
~Bag of mixed leaf lettuces & arugula
~Bunch of baby bok choy
~Very large head of Tokyo Lettuce
~Baby Collard Greens?
~Red Russian Kale
~Chocolate Mint
~Sunflower Sprouts

A super-healthy green bag indeed!

That all looks so good! Does the chocolate mint actually taste like chocolate?

My CSA still has just over a month before we start. We filled up so fast this year that now we have a waitlist, and I'm getting some angry or sad emails from former members who waited this year and are now most likely not going to be in the CSA (we have a space cap at our distribution site so can't just add more people). It's pretty crummy, even though it is really awesome to see how CSAs have grown in popularity over the past few years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:06 am 

doncherryfan wrote:

That all looks so good! Does the chocolate mint actually taste like chocolate?

My CSA still has just over a month before we start. We filled up so fast this year that now we have a waitlist, and I'm getting some angry or sad emails from former members who waited this year and are now most likely not going to be in the CSA (we have a space cap at our distribution site so can't just add more people). It's pretty crummy, even though it is really awesome to see how CSAs have grown in popularity over the past few years.

The mint is pretty chocolatey. Some are tastier than others; it can be good chopped up in brownies or cookies, or mixed in ice cream. Smoothies are good too.

That's a shame about the CSA waitlist situation. I completely understand about not being able to add more people, but it's too bad there aren't enough CSAs to go around. :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

laura8it wrote:
TomeOrnottome wrote:

You have to be dedicated and have some free time, but I live alone and have generally been able to get though a half-share. One thing that helped me was switching to a program where I could get a full amount every other week, rather than a half amount every week. I've also found that the produce keeps MUCH longer than anything from the grocery store, so you have some time to figure out how to cook it.

The places around did not have a half share opportunity unfortunately (I live in a small college town, most students are away during the summer...)

doncherryfan wrote:
TomeOrnottome wrote:

Hmm, maybe there's someone already in the CSA (or interested in joining) who wants to split a share with you? I just posted on my CSA's facebook page on behalf of someone who wants to join us but doesn't think she'll be able to use an entire share.

I think sharing would be a great idea. I'll talk up to the stand I know does CSA this Sunday (it's the first day of farmer's market!!! Wee!) and see what they say.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:58 am 

We managed to eat everything from our first pick-up last week, save for a bit of leftover lettuce. I do find these fresh-picked greens keep a lot longer than grocery store produce, so we should still be able to enjoy them this week.

This week's bag:

~Mizuna
~Mixed Salad Greens
~Sunflower Sprouts
~Green Garlic
~Sorrel
~Red Russian Kale
~Beets

It seemed a bit spare, so I bought a big bag of Swiss Chard and am now trying to find ways of fitting it into many dishes! I also bought some radishes from them to use in salads.

I just received Salad Samurai for my birthday and already made the very first (spring) salad with a lot of my CSA/Market haul! I'm hoping it will be very useful in CSA ideas.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:05 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Wow, those bags sound full of tasty greens! We got a letter from our CSA about pick up procedures...just about a month away! I am so excited! I might have to get Salad Samuri, too...that is probably a good idea (and a great excuse to get another cookbook)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:49 pm 

I'm not sure how I feel about my CSA anymore. Is it me, or is this a really boring list? I understand that the winter boxes have to be kale, potatoes, carrots, collards, onions, etc., but shouldn't it be better than this in May? I don't remember the boxes being this dull last year.

Cameo Apple Yakima
1 cnt Eureka Lemon
4 cnt Navel Oranges
4 cnt Kiwis
1 srv Yellow Crookneck Squash
0.50 lb Snap Peas
1 bu Red Radishes
1 bu Assorted Kale
1 bu Red Beets
1 cnt Assorted Lettuce
4 cnt Ruby Grapefruit
1 pkg Strawberries
1 bu Nantes Carrot
1 cnt Hass Avocado
1 pkg Blueberries
1 bu Assorted Chard
1 bu Broccoli
1 lb French Fingerling Potatoes

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:58 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Does anyone use Farm Fresh to You? I don't know if it's a California-only CSA but it's a huge company now so they have lots of perks. I've been getting their "no cooking" box, which is mostly snacky fruits and veggies but they just introduced a thing where you can sub out stuff you don't like or buy extra veggies they have on hand. So I subbed out navel oranges (yuk) and subbed in extra avocados. They also sell cases of produce. I'm thinking of buying a case of grapefruit...that's like 50 grapefruit though :-o

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:14 am 

That's what mine is, Couroupita. My list is what came in the "monster" fruit and vegetable box this week.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:28 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Xocolatl wrote:
That's what mine is, Couroupita. My list is what came in the "monster" fruit and vegetable box this week.

Ooh I love the monster box! I would love to get that again when I have a little more time in the kitchen. I think I saw fiddle Heads on the list but it looks like you didn't get them.

I think FFTY has been phoning it in a bit this year. I was getting all fruit because I wanted unusual stuff but this year it's been a lot of apples and oranges. That's why I was so excited by the subbing options. maybe it was a bad year?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:45 am 

No fair! I want fiddleheads.

Maybe it's the drought? I had been looking forward to exciting produce in the spring and the best thing I've gotten thus far is endive! It's so depressing to open the box and it looks like someone threw in a bunch of Safeway vegetables.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:54 am 

Weekend pickup:

~Chiogga Beets (I'm looking at you Beet Burgers)
~Green Garlic
~Baby cooking greens mix of cabbage & collards (I thought that a bit odd)
~Tatsoi
~Lettuce Mix
~Tuscan kale
~Cilantro

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:56 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

After years of hearing about CSAs, I finally signed up for one and I'm excited (and a little scared--I never feel like cooking during the week)! We got a half share from the farm right down the street from us, and our first pickup is this week: scallions, hakurei turnips, radishes, collards, red leaf lettuce, spinach, and rainbow chard.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Xocolatl wrote:
Maybe it's the drought? I had been looking forward to exciting produce in the spring and the best thing I've gotten thus far is endive! It's so depressing to open the box and it looks like someone threw in a bunch of Safeway vegetables.

The drought is getting to be a very serious problem. I saw a news story about how the kangaroo rat, an animal that burrows in the ground and makes the soil much better for growing plants, is dying of thirst and facing extinction. Their population is now down by 95%, according to the story I heard, and it's an animal that affects the whole ecosystem.

Last edited by LFL on Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 pm 

I hope you enjoy it Lou!

This week we got:
~Elegance Salad mix (Pac Choi, Red Mustard, Mizuna and Leaf Broccoli- v. tangy, dainty & pretty)
~Red Russian Kale
~Tatsoi
~Leaf Lettuce Mix
~Mixed Cooking Greens (Dandelion, Beet, Bok Choy?)
~Parsley
~Oregano

I'm actually really liking all of the different greens, it's making me feel pretty healthy. :)

By last night, I had already used at least some of everything except the oregano & cooking greens.