| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Serious Eats: The Vegan Experience
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:21 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think he's done a pretty good job, and I'm excited that he's been cooking and sharing recipes for stuff that actually looks appealing. I mean, he's not vegan, so we're not going to relate to 100% of his opinions, which is fine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:24 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I also really dislike 'fake meat.' It's been so long since I've eaten meat, the fake stuff grosses me out! At the Super Bowl party I attended, the hostess made vegan pigs in a blanket! Yikes! Needless to say, I avoided them like the plague!

That's why I enjoy the recipes on this site so much. Although many are somewhat involved (with lots of ingredients and steps), the food is terrific and worth the effort. I've been telling anyone (vegan or not) that will listen how amazing Isa's cashew queso recipe is! ;-) I love that Isa takes a somewhat unconventional approach to vegan diet/recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can see him not liking seitan if he's talking about the stuff you buy pre-made at the grocery store. I never liked seitan until I started making it myself.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:46 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've been following this series & have found it really interesting. Although a good deal of his findings might not be massive revelations to seasoned vegans, they're probably quite educational for a more general audience (which the articles are pitched at).

I totally agree that his resistance to meat alternatives is annoying. He's been very fair & open-minded in every other way, but I think if he wants the full vegan experience, he should at least try making seitan, which should NOT be lumped in with heavily processed commercial fake meat products. Like tofu, it's a food in its own right. As for commercial fake meats, they exist for convenience, & some of them are pretty yummy - nothing wrong with that!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:37 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

the series is interesting, but i think it's really geared toward omni foodies who think that veganism is some sort of sin. he's doing a good job of showing them that there's real, good food for vegans. i also really appreciate that he doesn't cut corners (exposing casein-laden "soy cheese" for what it is -- lame) and sticks to his guns.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Did you guys see today's post about the 12-course vegan tasting menu? WANT.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/a-12 ... -main.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Quote:
We must all know the insufferable, holier-than-thou vegan or vegetarian, but we probably also all know the vegan who doesn't try to press their beliefs on others. In fact, I'd probably wager that there are more meat eaters who are offended by vegans than the other way around.

Yup!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:06 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

molly wrote:
Did you guys see today's post about the 12-course vegan tasting menu? WANT.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/02/a-12 ... -main.html

Gah! I know where that place is! And I am pretty sure my (non-vegan) friend has been trying to get a job there as a chef! I want a vegan tasting menu!

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:47 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

That Serious Eats author is again going vegan-free for a month, including making new recipes and other observations...maybe he'll make seitan this time around?:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/02/tips ... anism.html

I really enjoyed his feature last year, if you didn't get a chance to catch it before.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm a fan of this column as well and was excited he's trying it again this year! Like you, I hope he tries some of the "mock meats" that he claims to despise. It's the only part of the column I don't like. He recognizes that tofu is a legitimate food, but why not extend the courtesy to tempeh and seitan?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:59 am 

Still peeved by his seitan aversion, but I'm SO glad Serious Eats is doing this again for 2013. I did enjoy a lot of his recipes last time around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:10 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm torn between really enjoying this and being kind of annoyed by the guy's tone? Overall though, I think this is good honest exposure for veganism.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:15 am 
Inflexitarian

totally agree, Creep.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:32 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I'm really looking forward to him doing it again! The sweet potato tempura banh mi and ramen bowl are on my to-cook list. Yum!

I am a relatively new vegan - flirted for the last year and finally took the plunge in October and I remember being super inspired by these posts last year and trying out new recipes and finding it wasn't as hard as I expected. Considering serious eats is often very meat- and dairy-focused in their recipes -- it's refreshing to see vegan recipes taken seriously on such a popular food blog. The Kitchn does a good job, too, most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

creep wrote:
I'm torn between really enjoying this and being kind of annoyed by the guy's tone?

Yeah, I only clicked on the 12 course tasting menu link, and was really liking it, until the last slide, where, after showing and eating all this amazing vegan food, he said, 'and the next morning, I had milk in my coffee.'

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:34 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

allularpunk wrote:
creep wrote:
I'm torn between really enjoying this and being kind of annoyed by the guy's tone?

Yeah, I only clicked on the 12 course tasting menu link, and was really liking it, until the last slide, where, after showing and eating all this amazing vegan food, he said, 'and the next morning, I had milk in my coffee.'

thank god THAT torture is over!

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:39 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
allularpunk wrote:
creep wrote:

thank god THAT torture is over!

Right??

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

So far, I find this year's edition kind of disappointing. There were some really cool recipes, like the portobello carpaccio, but it was mostly soups and sandwiches. I would have loved some hearty main dishes. Also, I feel like Kenji hardly left his comfort zone, he didn't have one single tempeh or seitan recipe, it's veggies, mushrooms, and quick carbs all over.

Quote:
I've got a lot of experiences planned this time around, and I'll be going out of my way to place myself in as many typical and unusual situations where veganism may affect my choices as possible. Cooking vegan food for a house full of 20 friends for an entire weekend (will they complain?). Heading out for dinner with a meat-loving New York chef. Dining out everywhere from fast food establishments to meat-heavy fancy-pants restaurants to dedicated vegan joints of all price ranges and levels of hippiedom.

I don't think he wrote much about eating out at all?

And every other post starts with a lament about how difficult it is to make plant foods taste good, compared to meat which supposedly almost cooks itself as long as you just remember to put in on a grill. I suppose I shouldn't get fed up about it, but because he said he eats mostly veg*n at home, I guess I hoped he would have risen above this kind of meat-eater arrogance by now. Oh well, I'll try just to be grateful for the recipes and the vegan exposure, even if it is not that great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

""Where I come from, mediocrity is not something that should be tolerated. I'm not happy with what I'm eating unless my food is the best it can possibly be." --Kenji Lopez-Alt

Again, I want to laud him for doing this twice now, but I don't care for the sanctimonious tone he takes. And while I have omni friends, his must be real jerks if they would decline or badmouth a free meal at his home, vegan or no. Also, what I would give for an article about veganism that doesn't toss out the hippie trope.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm disappointed to admit this time round he sounds really sanctimonious and like he's doing us vegans a favor by deigning to improve our otherwise "mostly bad" cuisine. Last time he seemed like a dude giving it a fair shot.

I just wish he didn't act as if he was was some vegan revolutionary going where no other chef has gone before. The vegan cookbook scene is exploding-- would it kill him to reference other great vegan chefs?

Lastly: tempeh is NOT bland.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:47 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Amelie, you put it better than I did. Either Alt-Lopez is willfully ignoring all the great vegan cookbooks/resources out there, or he's VERY hung up on being the de facto Vegan Cook Know It All (which he hasn't earned).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:36 pm 

I found it disappointing this year too. Did he deliver on all that he promised in his first post? I couldn't find the write up of the 20 person vegan weekend dinner party, nor anything about the experiences of the other staff members who went vegan??

I agree too that he stayed well and truly in his comfort zone, so the whole experience wasn't nearly as inspiring as it could have been. I don't mind when a certain individual's recipes all have a similar character, but I think there was a real lack of balance and diversity, largely due to his pig-headed refusal to explore the full gamut of vegan proteins. There's no justifiable reason to enter the experience with such prejudice, it works against the intended spirit of the whole exercise.

I also agree that his attitude this time around seemed pretty arrogant, as though he's the only person capable of designing innovative, delicious vegan dishes - when, as we all know, there's a whole universe of amazing vegan recipes out there and some incredibly talented vegan chefs and amateur cooks. I think it's pretty mean-spirited too, not to link to alternative sources for recipes, information, etc. And what about inviting guest chefs and cookbook authors to contribute?

One of the good things that came out of the experience is found in the comments, where you can see a lot of omnis have had their eyes opened by the series, and are introducing vegan meals into their repertoire. They may be misguided (through no fault of their own) into thinking Kenji Lopez-Alt is like the internet's sole champion and guiding light for veganism, but whatever makes people switch on to it is still a positive thing. I just hope they look further than Serious Eats.