| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let's swap- place transnational product requests here!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:54 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Folks, I'm sure that we all have developed some culinary envy when hearing about each other's access to specialty products- like the ever elusive agar powder, irish moss, grain and bean flours of all varieties, peanut butter powder, protein powders, candy, unique sweeteners and dried fruits, etc. etc.

Here's my proposal. We post here what we'd struggled to find. If you see a product you have easy access to, say so and send away! Spread the foodie love.

Is anyone interested?

Post subject: Re: Let's swap- place transnational product requests here!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:45 pm 

Heck yes!

And I didn't find peanut butter powder that great. I've had a jar for over a year and don't really know what to do with it.
I tried it in pudding and it was 2 thumbs down!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 pm 

Max&Moritz wrote:
Heck yes!

And I didn't find peanut butter powder that great. I've had a jar for over a year and don't really know what to do with it.
I tried it in pudding and it was 2 thumbs down!

What kind is it? I can probably give you a huge number of ideas, I use it regularly!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i can get agar powder at a local HFS, though it's in rather small packets (20 grams or so). i also have access to a few different kinds of faux milk chocolate.

i'll think about some other things i want or can acquire.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am in Thailand...there are all sorts of nuts and seeds that we don't see in the US, such as yummy mung bean snacks. Coconut chips are pretty awesome. Many puffy rice things with or without a drizzle of what looks and tastes like brown rice syrup. Crunchy black sesame sweets. A million kinds and flavors of seaweed snacks. Lots of one-serving agar "jello" snacks in interesting flavors like lychee. Rolls of dried mango that tastes better than any fruit leather I've had - it's just mango, no sweeteners like white grape juice, and thinner than fruit leather. And, my favorite, small sausage sized solar dried bananas, dried but still soft!, dipped in non-milk chocolate or without.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Also, if anyone is feeling extra adventurous, I just discovered that my local supermarket has two flavors of coconut milk - regular and the mysteriously named "candle scented."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:08 am 

uh...what is "candle scented" coconut milk??? and what is it for???

EmperorTomatoKetchup--try asian food shops for chunks of dried agar. its waayyy cheaper than hfs.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:11 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

According to a Thai coworker, when Thais make certain foods (usually desserts) they burn a candle basically into the product to impart a particular flavor (to me, the flavor of candle) into the food. Thai cuisine is quite complex, I guess, and there are a lot of things we don't learn about in the west.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:17 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

David Thompson's book on thai food gives instructions for the candle thing.

I paid the equivalent of nearly three dollars for 20 grams of agar powder in an asian shop. The flakes I can get in the supermarket may well be cheaper. I can't think of anything I couldn't mail order off the top of my head now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:51 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

The only thing I REALLY want that I can't get is European soy yogurt, which is far better than what we have in the US. Shipping it here would be a huge pain in the asparagus and prohibitively expensive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:16 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Cheezly. Send me all your cheezly.

I can get most Asian vegan must-haves (agar powder, gochujang, all kinds of seaweed, etc...) cheap black salt and stuff. Plus some fun local specialties such as fancy sea salts, good hot sauces, chocolate, nice spice blends including berbere, etc.

And that nasty Daiya stuff.

I miss European soy yogurt too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:03 pm 

If anyone has access to birch syrup, lupin flour, powdered almond milk, charmagaz (melon seeds), or freeze dried figs, I'd be super happy.

And since I visited London in November, I've had cravings for Trek Oat Crunch Protein Flapjacks after morning runs. I don't understand what makes them taste so special, but special they are.

For the next few weeks of living in NYC, I have access to most spices and flours you could want, plenty of international foods, and of course the bevy of U.S. snack foods both healthy and trashy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:50 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

kaybee wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup--try asian food shops for chunks of dried agar. its waayyy cheaper than hfs.

Isa has recommended against using any form of agar other than the powder. it's not like i use huge quantities of it, so i'm okay paying a pound and change for a little packet every once in a while.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:55 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm in Boston, so I have access to a lot of items...

TJ's items, black salt, agar powder (and flakes, and sticks...), vegan jello, various types of flour, various types of grains, Newman O's, Oreos, Go Max Go candy bars, faux milk chocolate, raw sugar, packets of bean or lentil soup (just add water and cook, great for lazy days), dried fruits (a pretty wide variety, ask if you have any specific fruits in mind), Asian hard candies (lychee, rose, and other awesome flavours), botan, sesame candies, soymilk powder, tetra-pack tofu, maple syrup, flavoured peanut butter (maple, white chocolate, dark chocolate), dried seaweed (wakame, kombu, roasted nori, teriyaki nori, chili nori), vegan jerky (primal strips, as well as various Chinese varieties), canned cranberry sauce, dried mushrooms (morel, black fungus, shittake, portabello, oyster, and probably more), tapioca starch, an endless variety of tea, seaweed powder/seaweed paste (I use it to make instant dashi), tamari almonds, fruit leather, vegan marshmallows (Dandies!), nooch, vegan white sugar, unsweetened coconut flakes, vegetable bullion, and... umm... I don't know? Ask and I'll see what I can do!

I have access to Caribbean, Kosher, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Indian, and Pakistani supermarkets in my neighborhood, as well as health food stores and American supermarkets. Just ask me and I'll see what I can scrape up. I'd prefer not to ship refrigerated or frozen foods though, because that would be expensive.

If anyone would want to swap, I have a fairly small wish list for international foods.
I know that China, Japan, Indonesia, and Malaysia have pretty rockin' oreo flavors (blueberry, lemon, green tea, strawberry, orange, mango...) If they're vegan, I'll trade my soul for a pack of them.
Cheezely would be awesome. Or, well... any other vegan specialties that your region/country may have. The only foods I can say that I don't like are waxberries and bitter melon. Besides that I'll eat almost anything...
For US items, Teese would be good, and I'd be interested to try these mysterious "soy curls" (are they shelf stable?)

Side note, if anyone wants to trade with Zabber, I highly recommend the crunchy rice snacks with brown rice syrup. They carry them at a lot of Chinese markets here, and they're wonderful!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:07 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Side note- if anyone is interested in a truly regional treat, I can make wild blueberry jam (since shipping fresh or frozen wild blueberries would be crazy-expensive.) If you've only had the big, watery blueberries that most supermarkets seem to sell (in the US/Canada at least, I'm not sure how available blueberries are in other countries) then you'll be blown away by how much flavour the wild ones have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:19 pm 
Impressive boner

I have access to Cheezly, Trek Oat Crunch Protein Flapjacks and soy yogurt. Also vegan Starburst, bourbon creams, Branston pickle, Lotus biscuits, a couple of different brands of white chocolate and some amazing Ma Baker Giant Bars.

If anyone in the UK is desperately seeking liquid smoke I think I can lay my hands on two different kinds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:49 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

I like odd snacks and sweets from other countries! I have not had much sweet stuff from the UK....

I can get stuff from Trader Joe's, health food store stuff, US vegan candy/prepackaged cookies, raw snacks....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

vijita wrote:

I can get most Asian vegan must-haves (agar powder, gochujang, all kinds of seaweed, etc...) cheap black salt and stuff. Plus some fun local specialties such as fancy sea salts, good hot sauces, chocolate, nice spice blends including berbere, etc.

I will joyfully send many packets of Cheezly to you in exchange for Daiya - for serious! Let me know if you fancy it - I am in the UK and can throw some other goodies in :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:05 am 

8ball wrote:
I have access to Cheezly, Trek Oat Crunch Protein Flapjacks and soy yogurt. Also vegan Starburst, bourbon creams, Branston pickle, Lotus biscuits, a couple of different brands of white chocolate and some amazing Ma Baker Giant Bars.

If anyone in the UK is desperately seeking liquid smoke I think I can lay my hands on two different kinds.

Is there anything you'd like from the US in exchange for trek bars?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:31 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

fooldramaqueen wrote:
vijita wrote:

I will joyfully send many packets of Cheezly to you in exchange for Daiya - for serious! Let me know if you fancy it - I am in the UK and can throw some other goodies in :)

Really? OK! Will PM you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:35 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

How has no one mentioned Tartex?! I want tartex and cheezly! and I also always like to try different kinds of fake meaty things.

I can get Daiya, agar powder, speculoos, skittles, peanut chews, oreos, tofurkey products, Trader Joe's stuff, liquid smoke, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

joyfulgirl wrote:
How has no one mentioned Tartex?! I want tartex and cheezly! and I also always like to try different kinds of fake meaty things.

I can get Daiya, agar powder, speculoos, skittles, peanut chews, oreos, tofurkey products, Trader Joe's stuff, liquid smoke, etc.

Where the hell in the US are you getting vegan skittles?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:01 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

DreamerSpirit wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:

Where the hell in the US are you getting vegan skittles?

So, I googled this, and apparently I'm late to the party, and US Skittles switched to a vegan recipe a few years back...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Oooh, I'm excited about this.

I would love to have masa harina, chipotles in adobo, and canned green chiles. (I grew up in the Southwest but these aren't things you can buy in Denmark). Also dried cherries.

I can send those new dark chocolate peanut M&Ms that everyone was talking about the other day. Haven't tried them myself, but saw them at the store recently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

ScandinaVegan wrote:
Oooh, I'm excited about this.

I would love to have masa harina, chipotles in adobo, and canned green chiles. (I grew up in the Southwest but these aren't things you can buy in Denmark). Also dried cherries.

I can send those new dark chocolate peanut M&Ms that everyone was talking about the other day. Haven't tried them myself, but saw them at the store recently.

ScandinaVegan, I am in New Mexico - I'm pretty sure I can get you any of those things, though I imagine they are super hard to ship being they are so heavy. Do you have any shipping suggestions?