| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thanksgivukkuh 2013
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:34 pm 
Nailed to the V

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/thanksgivukkah

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=6327&catId=8

I realize there is a Thanksgiving thread already, but Thanksgivukkah deserves it's own thread!

Thanksgiving and Hanukkah all in one day - mashed potatoes or latkes? pumpkin pie or fried pumpkin doughnuts?? I'm so torn and would love to hear all your ideas!!

Right now, I am tentatively thinking of the following menu:
Hazelnut En Croute (I'll be lazy this year)
Baked potato-onion latkes with homemade apple sauce, sour cream and dill, fried onions and fried mushrooms
Smashed yukon potatoes (My brother will insist!!)
Garlic gravy
Cranberry sauce
Green bean-mushroom casserole
Roasted cauliflower
Sauteed brussel sprouts with dried cranberries and almonds
Cornbread or cornbread stuffing

Deserts:
Pecan pie rugellach (see buzzfeed article, but veganize it)
Hanukkah doughnuts/Sufganiyot
Pumpkin pie
Coconut whipped cream

What are you guys making?? Inspire me!

Post subject: Re: Thanksgivukkuh 2013
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

My inlaws are doing a Hanukkah dinner Wednesday night. My MIL said she found a vegan latke recipe and vegan matzoh ball soup recipe. I said is bring some field roast sausage to go with it because she is also making some sort of fish.

For Thanksgiving my sister in law and I are going to make some sort of seitan creation, I'm making the roasted Brussel sprouts and apple recipe from Vegan Table then there will be all the standard stuff like squash, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc. my MIL always makes Waldorf salad snd she had some veganaise for mine.

I haven't decided if I'm going to make myself a pumpkin pie yet but at some point over the weekend I will make the pumpkin pie brownies from VCTOYCJ

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:38 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes, I was thinking about starting this thread too. I'm the cook but I'm not the one in my family who has a tradition of celebrating Hanukkah. I have so much cooking to do for Thursday, which is traditional thanksgiving stuff. My in laws want to do Hanukkah Wednesday night with latkes. What else is essential? I'm thinking latkes, applesauce, and maybe matzo ball soup? Is that enough? I need to do bare minimum without offending anyone jury because I'm so busy with work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:02 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I'm not making much this year because we are going on vacation right after Thanksgiving (I don't want to have leftovers going to waste!). I'm going to make these baked latkes that I made last year and enjoyed.

I bought the Gardein roast, but I think I'm going to get the mini-roasts from Trader Joe's and save the Gardein roast for when we'll be here to eat the leftovers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:30 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Butternut wrote:
Yes, I was thinking about starting this thread too. I'm the cook but I'm not the one in my family who has a tradition of celebrating Hanukkah. I have so much cooking to do for Thursday, which is traditional thanksgiving stuff. My in laws want to do Hanukkah Wednesday night with latkes. What else is essential? I'm thinking latkes, applesauce, and maybe matzo ball soup? Is that enough? I need to do bare minimum without offending anyone jury because I'm so busy with work.

My family always used to do just latkes with applesauce and sour cream. We might have pretended to eat a salad, too. My husbands family always had a "main dish", too, though.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:32 pm 
Hip Goiter

I love the idea of Hannukahing up regular Thanksgiving food! Latkes instead of mashed potatoes and pumpkin doughnuts instead of pumpkin fill in the blank are great ideas! You should also make my rugelach because it was amazing. I also really like the idea of matzo ball soup on Thanksgiving. What about blintzes with a pumpkin cheesecake filling? And Isa's challah recipe with canned pumpkin instead of banana.

Anything but kugel :)

Laughfrodisiac

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:37 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Our Chanukah dinners are latkes with toppings, donuts, and that's it. I am thinking Friday night post thanksgiving dinner of the usual Chanukah suspects plus spiked mulled cider and leftover roasted things.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:41 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Ariann wrote:
Our Chanukah dinners are latkes with toppings, donuts, and that's it. I am thinking Friday night post thanksgiving dinner of the usual Chanukah suspects plus spiked mulled cider and leftover roasted things.

My Sephardic dad always cooked a huge pot of pinto beans to go with latkes, so that's what we'll have. I am not one of those pumpkin people but I have this apple cider doughnut recipe bookmarked.

http://www.girlmakesfood.com/vegan-cider-donuts/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:01 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Butternut wrote:
My in laws want to do Hanukkah Wednesday night with latkes. What else is essential? I'm thinking latkes, applesauce, and maybe matzo ball soup? Is that enough? I need to do bare minimum without offending anyone jury because I'm so busy with work.

i think matzoh ball soup and latkes would be plenty. if i were the one making dinner instead of my in laws that's all i would do. im bringing sausage because she mentioned she was making some sort of fish thing. im not sure how many latkes we each get though since there is going to be a bunch of us. when i make latkes i want more than 2 i want like 12.

It's just funny to think that we could go through years of this, become the president of the damn country, and still, we'd be eating pasta with veggies at every. damn. function.~~Joyfulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:54 pm 
***LIES!!!***

ScandinaVegan wrote:
Ariann wrote:

My Sephardic dad always cooked a huge pot of pinto beans to go with latkes, so that's what we'll have. I am not one of those pumpkin people but I have this apple cider doughnut recipe bookmarked.

http://www.girlmakesfood.com/vegan-cider-donuts/

Pinto beans! What a fabulous idea. Good for soaking up the fat!

I make a fairly standard yeasted donut on Chanukah, too lazy to do the jelly filling, though. Apple cider donuts sound good. I told my mom I would bring donuts to Thanksgiving, maybe I'll try that recipe. ETA: Nope, gluten free, will look for another.

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]