| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: menu conundrum...help!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:41 pm 
Huffs Nooch

So I am doing New Years Eve this year with my group of friends! Yay! They are coming from out of town so I thought I'd make a dinner, too. I suggested the following themes: Indian, Italian or Typical American Dinner.

So far I've gotten one "anything but Indian" and two for Indian. The problem is I have rather culinary-boring friends (makes me mad, you live in a city, eat some damn ethnic food) and I know out of the 12 total that are coming, 4-5ish are not going to be into Indian. So I was thinking of doing a culinary world tour... Indian and ??

My question: What would you pair with Indian? Think of people with boring taste buds. Also, it doesn't need to flow together perfectly as some people will be nibbling at a bunch of things but I think most will stick with one region or the other.

Maybe Latin? Help! :)

Post subject: Re: menu conundrum...help!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Middle Eastern, Mediterranean! Of if there is going to be an buttload of dishes, go West to East, all the way from Italy to India. Awesome cuisines that blend well together.

Post subject: Re: menu conundrum...help!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

I think roasting up some squash with sage and olive oil would be a nice sweet compliment if you are making something spicy. Also, my sister has been making this unbelievable cucumber salad (big thick wedges of it) topped with sesame seeds, soy sauce, and olive oil -it's incredibly refreshing! I always am a big fan of hors d'oeuvres which fills people up even before the meal - caramelized bell peppers over sliced baked bread, homemade veggie sushi, a tofu-potato spanish tortilla served up on a beautiful plate, or even have out a chilled soup in some cute shot glasses.

What's for dessert? I think you should make a vegan baked alaska! Set that shiitake on fire!!

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ]