| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth Balance Tastes Weird Now
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Quarantined wrote:
Wasn't there a thread on the old boards a few years ago where people noticed it tasted off, and then the owner of Earth Balance joined the thread and had people write to them and let them know what our tub numbers were?

I don't remember that thread. Hopefully contacting them will help though because baked treats don't taste very good with off-tasting EB!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Dynahmite wrote:
Yes!! so glad it's not just me. The first time this happened, I went out to eat between Whole Foods & home, so I thought my failure to promptly refrigerate it caused the grossness (sounds silly in hindsight). I use a ton of EB (nooch toast addiction), and most tubs I've had for the past 6 mos to a year have tasted like this. I never thought to write to EB but I totally will now.

I'm glad it's not just me too. Although, it's sad that anybody has to deal with off-tasting EB. I have definitely noticed a declining change in taste over the last year, but this was the first time is was fishy tasting/smelling. So gross!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:26 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The batch number on my tub: DEC2612 L4S1 07:44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

tahinitoo wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
Wasn't there a thread on the old boards a few years ago where people noticed it tasted off, and then the owner of Earth Balance joined the thread and had people write to them and let them know what our tub numbers were?

I don't remember that thread. Hopefully contacting them will help though because baked treats don't taste very good with off-tasting EB!

yeah, I think they wanted to figure out what had happened so they appreciated people letting them know. It's just strange if it's happening again, I wonder what it is.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Is it just the tubs of EB? I just order a couple cases of the sticks and now I'm nervous.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Maggie Muggins wrote:
Is it just the tubs of EB? I just order a couple cases of the sticks and now I'm nervous.

I haven't had any problems with EB sticks smelling/tasting funny. I'm sure yours will be just fine!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:27 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I heard back from Earth Balance today. Their response isn't exactly personalized, so I don't feel they are really addressing the problem. I guess I'll find out if they contact me again after checking Quality Control.

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Earth Balance. We always appreciate hearing from consumers who care enough to reach out to us with their comments or questions.

We regret that you had a negative experience with our product. Thank you for providing the packaging coding so our Quality Control Department can look into this further.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. We are sending you a complimentary coupon, good for any Earth Balance® product.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Earth Balance

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I had a gross tub recently, too. I always buy the soy free and haven't had any issues, but my mom left a tub of the regular kind at my house and it's naaaaasty. I made a chocolate crumb crust for a pie with it and the whole thing had that weird off taste. So sad. I should email them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:18 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Pinko wrote:
I had a gross tub recently, too. I always buy the soy free and haven't had any issues, but my mom left a tub of the regular kind at my house and it's naaaaasty. I made a chocolate crumb crust for a pie with it and the whole thing had that weird off taste. So sad. I should email them.

Definitely contact them and let them know. I think the more folks that get in touch with them, the more serious they might be about researching the issue. I miss the EB that actually tasted buttery and didn't smell like seaweed!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I had a thread about this not too long ago. I didn't notice a fish taste, but it is definitely not as good as it used to be. I finally decided it was all in my head but it sounds like something really has changed.

Here is the old thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16668

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:05 am 

I've got a fishy tub too. Is it going to ruin my lemon bars?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:07 pm 
Huffs Nooch

My soy-free tubs have been OK, but the sticks have been kind of disgusting for a while - at least a year. They're not bad in baked goods but absolutely can't be used as a spread. To me, they taste rancid and have an awful slick texture; my 7-year-old thinks they taste like "rotten cream cheese and poop." If anyone near me still stocked Willow Run I'd switch back.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

peanut wrote:

I made cookies with the fishy tub I had and they didn't taste good at all. I made another batch with the EB sticks and they were OK, but still not quite right. Total bummer.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:14 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

elizabee wrote:
My soy-free tubs have been OK, but the sticks have been kind of disgusting for a while - at least a year. They're not bad in baked goods but absolutely can't be used as a spread. To me, they taste rancid and have an awful slick texture; my 7-year-old thinks they taste like "rotten cream cheese and poop." If anyone near me still stocked Willow Run I'd switch back.

I'm starting to think that EB has just reformulated their recipe. I think I might try the soy-free tub next time. Your child's description made me laugh!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:29 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Interesting. I started buying soy-free for a long time because I liked it when I tried someone else's, and now the organic whipped stuff tastes so salty. I am a soy-free convert, but it's a pity it's not organic.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

we've noticed the same seaweed (it's almost kinda fishy tasting or something) taste as well. the soy-free e.b. lacks the seaweedness, so i've been spending the extra dollar lately and buying that instead.

we save our old e.b. containers though - i'm going to snag the batch numbers off the more recent ones and e-mail them as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:36 pm 

peanut wrote:

I can't taste any weirdness in the finished lemon bars, but the crust made my entire house stink while it was baking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:57 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Alright, after doing a small amount of searching I was only able to come up with a similar report from 2008 which was confirmed to be a "bad batch". And that these recent reports are concentrated on this board.

But considering the geographic and time scale of peoples reports here it appear that something more than that is going on.
either...
A: some of the posters here r sensitive to the taste of the ALA omega-3 in it (which might explain the "fishy" taste reported)
B: there has been recent a change, not obviously reflected on the packaging, that has affected the taste for some and not others
C: its a mass delusion (which can seem quite real, I wouldn't count it out)

My bet is on A then C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:46 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

SkepticalVegan wrote:
Alright, after doing a small amount of searching I was only able to come up with a similar report from 2008 which was confirmed to be a "bad batch". And that these recent reports are concentrated on this board.

But considering the geographic and time scale of peoples reports here it appear that something more than that is going on.
either...
A: some of the posters here r sensitive to the taste of the ALA omega-3 in it (which might explain the "fishy" taste reported)
B: there has been recent a change, not obviously reflected on the packaging, that has affected the taste for some and not others
C: its a mass delusion (which can seem quite real, I wouldn't count it out)

My bet is on A then C

Thanks for the research!

It is definitely not C, at least for me. I have been using EB for almost 10 years and am familiar with how it usually smells/tastes. Being an avid baker and cook, I use it enough to know when something is "off". I have been noticing a change for at least a year, but the tub I have now is very different from previous tubs/sticks.

I think it is either A or B. Usually flax oil doesn't bother me, but maybe the concentration/variety EB uses is affecting the taste of their product. I am curious to know if they've made any changes over the last year in their recipe. I love their coconut oil spread, so I guess I'll just buy that from now on!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:21 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

They dont use flax in their regular buttery spread...it appear the ALA is from the canola and maybe the olive oil

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:07 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

SkepticalVegan wrote:
They dont use flax in their regular buttery spread...it appear the ALA is from the canola and maybe the olive oil

They do use flax oil in the Original spread, it's listed as an ingredient on my tub. I think they need to update their website. This might be why it tastes different now - flax oil wasn't always an ingredient.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

tahinitoo wrote:
SkepticalVegan wrote:
They do use flax oil in the Original spread, it's listed as an ingredient on my tub. I think they need to update their website. This might be why it tastes different now - flax oil wasn't always an ingredient.

you right, I was looking at one of the old tubs we use as tupperware, but upon going thorough the cupboard and looking at a few more i did find one that listed flax. thanks for pointing it out
so looks like its a a combo of options A and B
though olive oil and canola do still provide some ALA, though flax is a larger source by volume i believe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:45 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've always been a little envious, because we don't have EB here. Now, not so much...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've bought only soy free since it's been out, and I haven't noticed this! I hope I don't have to, ever.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:32 am 
Baking In The Flavor

sounds like they really should take out the flax. i know they are adding it for health benefits, but if it makes their product tastes yuck, whats the point? flax has a really distinctive flavor. its not like we eat margarine for health anyway. let people get their flax from flax oil, and leave the EB recipe and taste alone! gah!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next