| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Earth Balance Tastes Weird Now
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

kaybee wrote:
sounds like they really should take out the flax. i know they are adding it for health benefits, but if it makes their product tastes yuck, whats the point? flax has a really distinctive flavor. its not like we eat margarine for health anyway. let people get their flax from flax oil, and leave the EB recipe and taste alone! gah!

I completely agree!!! I am going to try making my own vegan butter using this recipe:

http://veganbaking.net/other-vegan-trea ... gan-butter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:16 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

tahinitoo wrote:

Recommended!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I totally ran into this, too. The worst was when I ran out of EB sticks and used the tub EB in frosting! I couldn't get over the fishy flavor but my boyfriend claimed he couldn't taste it. Who knows.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I haven't experienced this yet, but I emailed them anyway because I've been out of tub EB for a while and I'm scared to buy more! I guess I'll pick up the soy-free one next time I'm at WF but still, yikes. I've never even liked things that were supposed to taste fishy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

vegimator wrote:

Yay! Did you try baking with this after you made it? I want to use it in cookies!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:39 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

No, I used it purely as a spread and it was great. I'm curious to hear how it performs in baked goods but I bet it'll be great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

vegimator wrote:
No, I used it purely as a spread and it was great. I'm curious to hear how it performs in baked goods but I bet it'll be great.

Thanks! I am going to try it next week. I just need to find soy lecithin, hopefully without having to order it online...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

fearn is the most commonly found brand. it's in a squat bottle, sometimes in the refrigerated section. (if my memory serves me correctly, i hadn't purchased any in 10 years. i remember it being near the flax oil)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I've been using Willow Run for almost a year, now. It's cheaper, and it doesn't have palm oil in it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:23 am 
Tofu Pup

First experienced fishy taste yesterday--in recently purchased and newly opened tub. Returning to Trader Joes today. Yuck.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've noticed an off taste a time or two in the past but not recently. I know when I was transitioning off dairy I bought regular smart balance for baking (at the time EB was hard to come by) and it had a strong flavor that ruined everything it touched...I didn't notice it until after getting some EB then going back.

One thing that used to happen to my EB I haven't noticed in a while is that it used to be...speckled. Weird stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:04 pm 
Tofu Pup

So I discussed with customer service at Trader Joes, they exchanged for the organic whipped version. Mine was original. They homed in on the flax oil in the original. Noted there is no flax oil in the organic. Brought both home and compared. Just the smell alone was enough to highlight the difference. The organic one smelled fresh and pure. The original smelled totally corrupted. TJ asked me to look at an old container at home for difference in formula. I found one from two months earlier--exact same labeling and ingredients. Perhaps it IS the rogue batch that goes bad in the original. For now I'll stick with the organic and hope they don't put flax oil in it too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:15 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Flax oil spoils fairly easily. I wonder if rancid flax oil is the issue.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:35 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I'm making a cake on sunday, which means I'll need a new tub of earth balance for the frosting. Damn...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 pm 
Naked Under Apron

This is what they said to me:

Quote:
Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Earth Balance. We always appreciate hearing from consumers who care enough to reach out to us with their comments or questions.

Our spreads are never suppose to taste fishy but unfortunately, with the addition of the flax, if the product has been mishandled, possibly in shipping or warehousing, flax will take on that unfavorable flavor. Our QA Department has been advised.

We want you to be confident when purchasing our products, therefore, we would like to send to you a complimentary coupon for your next purchase. Please email reply with your mailing address and we will get that out to you asap.

Thank you for again for reaching out to us.

Sincerely,

Your Friends at Earth Balance

I'll be using that coupon for one without flax. Does the soy-free version taste as good as the (unspoiled) original?

Last edited by Amy on Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

sunnybear wrote:
I'm making a cake on sunday, which means I'll need a new tub of earth balance for the frosting. Damn...

get the whipped organic and measure it by weight. (1 cup is 8 oz.) or if you don't have a scale, you can probably let it get to room temperature and "unwhip" it by just keep stirring it until the volume goes down. (and then if it still looks airy, you can make your measuring cup heaped instead of level.

if i had a tub of whipped, i would totally weigh some to see just how much more of it you need to be equivalent.

alternatively, you can make a cooked frosting. i never made it, so i have no suggestions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Very mysterious! I try not to use EB too much, so I go through it slowly, using it mostly for frosting and occasional actual baking, but I like to just bake with canola oil when I can. I haven't noticed any changes.

But, I'm wondering if maybe they didn't change their recipe, but got a weird batch of an ingredient. Maybe spoiled or rancid as mollyjade suggested, or maybe just an extra strong favored crop of canola or flax.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Amy wrote:

I'll be using that coupon for one without flax. Does the soy-free version taste as good as the (unspoiled) original?

I think so. I very much prefer the soy free version now (and used to love original). I haven't had a spoiled of either one, but I think the soy free has a better texture.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:49 pm 
Naked Under Apron

allychristine wrote:
Amy wrote:

I think so. I very much prefer the soy free version now (and used to love original). I haven't had a spoiled of either one, but I think the soy free has a better texture.

Good to know, thanks! Reading about EB has made me crave toast, so I will definitely pick up some soy-free this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:13 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I usually purchase my Earth Balance at Meijer grocery store, as it's cheapest there. They carry the Soy Garden variety, and it doesn't contain flax. It tastes delicious, as always. http://www.earthbalancenatural.com/#/pr ... oy-garden/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

Just got same response from Earth Balance as Amy: identical form letter asking for mfg lot info and promising a coupon for one free product.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

That's good they responded and are looking into it. I would really hate to see EB go away because of quality issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:23 pm 
Tofu Pup

I asked Earth Balance if the problem manifests only in the original.

Received this response from Earth Balance:

It has to be the flax, because if flax oil becomes stale it can sometimes have a bit of a fishy taste and scent.

Sincerely,

Conclusion: The fishy smell problem manifests only in the original, not the organic, and not all the time.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I actually wrote them again asking if they had made changes to their recipe. Here is the response I received:

Dear Amy,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Earth Balance. We always appreciate hearing from consumers who care enough to reach out to us with their comments or questions.

Some of our Earth Balance formulas have undergone slight changes. We apologize that this information is not on our website as of yet, but we are in the process of updating and reworking our Website.

Our Earth Balance Original Buttery Spread, Olive Oil Spread and Vegan Buttery Sticks now contain flax oil. The benefit of the flax oil is the omega 3 content.

In addition to the flax ingredient change, the ingredient soy protein has been removed from our Organic, Original and Olive Oil spreads and replaced with pea protein (sourced from yellow peas) and sunflower lecithin. Our Soy Garden Spread, Vegan Buttery Sticks and Shortening formulas have not made this ingredient change and do not contain pea protein.

These slight changes should in no way affect the taste of our product. It should have the exact same delicious creamy buttery taste as before. The negative taste you experienced is a Quality Control issue, either in mixing, distribution, transportation or grocery storage issue.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you experienced.

Sincerely,

I am bummed because it seems like adding flax oil is definitely affecting the taste. I have a hard time believing that all these tubs are the result of a bad batch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:01 pm 
Tofu Pup

We have been faithful customers of EB for years. Now, it tastes awful. It actually gives me nausea so I can't eat it anymore. Has anyone else tried an alternative brand that is good?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next