| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Foods You Want to Like but Don't
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:32 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Quinoa, o quinoa, how I wish I liked you. A higher protein grain with a well-rounded collection of amino acids? You sound amazing, but you taste like dusty farts.

Chia, too. I know you are a superfood, but you look like tapioca frogspawn and we will never be friends.

Daiya, o Daiya. I had you once I and I will never again let you grace my lips. Somehow, you have managed to taste not of cheese, or of "cheese flavour" but of "cheese flavour flavour". You taste so artificial. I just don't see the appeal.

Lupin sausages, I have only met you once, and that was enough. You were so featureless, so indistinct. You are the limp handshake of the mock-meats.

Post subject: Re: Foods You Want to Like but Don't
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Fennel. I've tried but it's just not for me...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:17 am 
Baking In The Flavor

haha i cant match the poetic style of the first post, but

-quinoa--i actually like it but my tummy hates it

-tomatoes. tomato sauce. ketchup. never have been able to stand any of them.

-vinegar, and anything with vinegar in it. ive never been able to eat salad with vinegar dressing. i cant even choke it down. it instills a gag reflex. white, apple cider, wine, balsamic, cant stand any of them. yuck. (umeboshi plum vinegar being the exception, that i dump on everything, but its salty rather than vinegary).

-similarly, any vinegar-containing condiments. mustard, relish, mayo

-PICKLES. i SO WANT to like them. i love the way they smell, i cannot bring myself to eat them. oh evil vinegar.

-hot peppers or anything super spicy :/

-BRUSSEL SPROUTS

-shittake mushrooms. they never seem to break down, even when cooked. they are always tough and i feel like i swallow them still all tree-like

-SEAWEED, especially kelp. i love dulse, but that kelp....uuurrrggghh. yucky, irony and slimy. and it is soo good for you :( also, our local dulse, which is abundant, is as tough as kelp, its not nice and soft like the stuff from main coast sea veg, which melts in your mouth :( the local stuff is like eating cartilage. thats what kelp is like too. trying to gnaw on cartilage. ick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:47 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Olives...We've tried and tried but it just isn't working out. Sure, I may finger you if I've had a few too many at a party, but oral just isn't going to happen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:27 am 
Saggy Butt

Mango! It's so stupid, I want to love it but it always tastes a bit weird and off. I'm going to keep trying it though. Oh and seaweed too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thyme - I like the flavour, but I hate the texture. I've started avoiding recipes with thyme.

Bananas - So healthy, and they seem like such a good idea, but I hate them every time I try to eat them.

OK, most fruit - Again, a texture thing. I like most fruit juices and smoothies without bits, but I generally can't deal with whole fruit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:15 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Mushrooms. They are everywhere. Everywhere! Like rachell, it's a texture thing for me.
Olives.
Mustard.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:17 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Carob. Tastes like dust.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:26 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

Bell peppers. They are my culinary nemesis. Hot peppers are fine, it's only bell peppers. I think I may be allergic to them, but I can't stand to have one in my mouth long enough to find out.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:39 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Tofu scramble. I have yet to meet a scramble to change my mind. I do like cubed sauteed tofu, but that's arguably not a scramble.

Oh, and Daiya. I don't want to like it, but restaurants keep insisting on putting it in stuff and ruining perfectly good food.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

vijita wrote:
Tofu scramble. I have yet to meet a scramble to change my mind. I do like cubed sauteed tofu, but that's arguably not a scramble.

Do you like pumpkin? Have you tried zwingtip's pumpkin tofu scramble? (My adaptations are here: http://choirqueer.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... astronomz/) I do like tofu scramble generally, but this one is way different from any tofu scramble I've ever had and it's so amazing. Definitely worth a try if you're looking to try to like tofu scramble. ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:44 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Quinoa. The only way I can stand it is in Isa's Quinoa Puttanesca where it's smothered in a tangy tomato sauce.

Nutmeg. Ever since I accidentally dumped a bunch into my spanakopita, I can't stand the taste or smell.

The weird mushroom varieties that are in Chinese food. They look like little pods of death and are so rubbery. ew.

Coriander seeds. I like coriander powdered, but the seeds are so citrusy and weird and I think ruin any dish they're in.

Same with fennel...it has to be ground pretty small for me to like it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:49 am 
Huffs Nooch

rachell37 wrote:
Thyme - I like the flavour, but I hate the texture. I've started avoiding recipes with thyme.

I am with you on the texture. Have you tried ground thyme?

For me it's quinoa, mushrooms, and tofu. I don't like any variety of mushrooms. I like tofu if it's well disguised in a pie or something, but blocks of tofu, cubed and stir-fried? No thanks.

Also, CILANTRO! How I hate thee.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:51 am 

choirqueer wrote:
vijita wrote:

Do you like pumpkin? Have you tried zwingtip's pumpkin tofu scramble? (My adaptations are here: http://choirqueer.wordpress.com/2011/10 ... astronomz/) I do like tofu scramble generally, but this one is way different from any tofu scramble I've ever had and it's so amazing. Definitely worth a try if you're looking to try to like tofu scramble. ;-)

Thank you, but the idea of pumpkin tofu scramble makes me want to barf! I think there is something wrong with me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Green bell peppers. They are unripe and taste like nail polish remover. We are not supposed to eat them. The only reason I want to like them is that they are in everything all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:57 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Brussel sprouts. They are so healthy, but no preparation has made me like them. But I try every year, because taste buds change.

Bell peppers. I tolerate them, but they are in SO many recipes, I wish I liked them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:57 am 
Flounceiad 2011

vijita wrote:
Try this one; it's the best of both worlds!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2009/12/peace-for-our-time-tofu-scramble.html

There aren't many foods I actively dislike, but here are a few for which I have been thus far unable to summon the love:
- Brussels sprouts
- Green olives (love the black ones, but the only way I can stomach a green one is if it's spent some time in the bottom of a martini glass)
- Pickled things except cucumbers, especially cabbage (sauerkraut is actually on the dislike list)
- Lima beans (unhappy childhood memories of frozen "mixed vegetables")
- Halvah. I love tahini, love hummus, love sesame seeds, but I kind of hate this stuff. Yuck.

In terms of products:
- Dr Cow cheeses. I was all ready to love them, but there is nothing about them that even suggests "cheese"; in fact, if they remind of anything it's halvah (see above).
- Gardein, except for the crispy tenders and the burgers. All the other products we've tried have a certain slimy je ne sais quoi.
- Trader Joe's "Beefless" Ground Beef. This isn't actually the product's fault; I liked it, but it didn't like me. The texture and flavor worked better for things like meatloaf and stuffed peppers than anything else I'd tried, but it gave me terrible tummy trouble (I gave it another chance to make sure it hadn't been something else), so I'm back to mashing up Nate's meatballs for chili, etc.
- As for Daiya, I don't like it by itself, but it works nicely as a component in a sauce, where it can be melted and combined with other ingredients; this allows you to cut the texture and balance what I find to be its underlying sweetness. I find the cheddar to be more versatile than the mozzarella (although I still prefer any variety of Cheezly to the other vegan cheeses I've tried thus far; I also like Teese mozzarella when I can get it).

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Last edited by Desdemona on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:02 am 
Keepin' It Seal

Fennel. The recipes always look so interesting and delicious, but I just can't do it. Also, I only barely like dill. I keep adding it to things hoping it'll grow on me, but I always end up disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I like just about everything, but mustard greens are just too bitter for me. Just that one green, as far as I know. I won't vomit if I have to eat it, but I'd rather not.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:06 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Cilantro. They put that shiitake in everything I like. Thai, Indian, Mexican, Vietnamese, EVERYTHING. If I get the tiniest little piece of it in my food, suddenly I have the overwhelming taste of soap in my mouth. Not fun.

Pretty much all greens except for kale. Collards and mustards are too bitter, and spinach and chard leaves a weird feeling in my mouth.

Olives and artichokes. They taste like sweaty armpits to me, but everyone seems to love them. They come in all kinds of varieties and flavors the way cheese does, and that must be so much fun for people who like them. I wish I could get all excited over the olive bar at whole foods. Instead I just avoid it because the smell makes me a little gaggy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:20 am 

Baby carrots and baby corn can go to hell. I don't eat babies.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

sunnybear wrote:
Cilantro. They put that shiitake in everything I like. Thai, Indian, Mexican, Vietnamese, EVERYTHING. If I get the tiniest little piece of it in my food, suddenly I have the overwhelming taste of soap in my mouth. Not fun.
Believe it or not, I've heard that's a genetic thing. Some people taste soapiness when they eat coriander leaves, some don't. I don't (or anything remotely soapy) but my fella tastes the soapiness.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:21 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

tater tots

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:40 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

-Asparagus. It always looks like it will taste good, but then. . . it doesn't.
-Turnips. Blech. Bitter and gross.
-Sprouts of most varieties, be they Brussels, bean sprouts, alfalfa sprouts, clover sprouts. . .
-Lentils in most recipes. I actually really like red lentils, but there are very few dishes in which I enjoy brown or green lentils. I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to try black lentils.
-Soups that are overly watery, which rules out most miso soups and tomato soups.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:42 am 
Impressive boner

Mushrooms, eggplant, zucchini, thyme, celery, black licorice, aniseed, fennel and any really hot spicy food.

I like the taste of bananas and avocados but they don't like me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next