| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foods You Want to Like but Don't
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:18 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh, how I hate Tempeh!! I still gag thinking about that texture!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:25 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

jerusha wrote:
Oh, how I hate Tempeh!! I still gag thinking about that texture!

I'm with you on this. For some reason I keep trying it and hoping that I'll like it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

creep wrote:
Even things I don't like, I'll still eat. I get so frustrated with picky people sometimes, but I definitely used to be one of them. I guess there's a difference in trying things and not liking them vs. just not trying shiitake at all.

This is totally me. I've made myself like a lot of things. I used to hate all cabbage and, especially, sauerkraut. I basically tried it every new way I found and started to like it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:00 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

choirqueer wrote:
doncherryfan wrote:

I also can't stand the taste of carbonated beverages.

I can't even have one in my mouth long enough to find out if I like the taste. For some reason, fizziness in my mouth makes me flip out. My parents' strategy for keeping me from drinking soda as a kid was to tell me that I wouldn't like it, so I didn't try it until I was 8, and by then I was so sure I wouldn't like it that I didn't, and I never learned to like it. I just can't imagine why it would be pleasant to put that in my mouth.

Reading through this thread makes me think I'm a pickier drinker than I am eater, for some reason. In addition to carbonated drinks, I don't like drinks with spicy flavors or vegetable or tomato flavors. I never liked milk when I ate dairy. I'll drink wine and alcohol socially, but the only kind I actually like is the super sweet Manischewitz wine (and everyone else thinks it's gross!).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Papaya can be really, really awful. I think they're one fruit that doesn't travel long distances well, because the ones I get here range from good-to-downright-gross, but when I've had them in tropical places, WOAHMYGODDDDSOGOOD. Especially in Mexican fruit salad, with salt, lime and chile. That's why it's my namesake. Love them, but they have the potential to be terrible if not perfectly ripe.

Another one:
I don't like the flavour of coffee. It's so, so gross to me.
And all soda except fancy rootbeers and ginger beers. The rest are so gross, blech.

Last edited by paprikapapaya on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertaster

Quote:
Although individual food preference for supertasters cannot be typified, documented examples for either lessened preference or consumption include:

certain alcoholic beverages[14]
Brassica oleracea cultivars
Brussels sprouts[16][17][18]
cabbage[16]
kale[18]
coffee[16]
grapefruit juice[17]
green tea[17]
spinach[16]
soy products[17]
carbonation in drinks such as in soda, beer, etc.[19]

Other foods may also show altered patterns of preference and consumption, but only indirect evidence exists:

chili peppers - capsaicin burn is more intense in supertasters
tonic water - quinine is more bitter to supertasters
olives - for a given concentration, salt is more intense in supertasters

I am not a supertaster - almost everything tastes good to me when well prepared! My husband and two of my children are, however. The weird thing is my husband likes grapefruit and I am not fond of it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:30 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Arisaig wrote:

Quote:
Although individual food preference for supertasters cannot be typified, documented examples for either lessened preference or consumption include:

cabbage[16]
kale[18]
coffee[16]
grapefruit juice[17]
green tea[17]
spinach[16]
soy products[17]

Other foods may also show altered patterns of preference and consumption, but only indirect evidence exists:

I am not a supertaster - almost everything tastes good to me when well prepared! My husband and two of my children are, however. The weird thing is my husband likes grapefruit and I am not fond of it.

Whatever the opposite of a supertaster is, I think I might be that. Other than the alcohol and carbonation (blechhhhh), right there is a list of Flavors I Love Most.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:32 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just wish I liked mushrooms and eggplant. Both are a texture issue. And they're such vegan staples! Especially in restaurants.

Well, i do like morel mushrooms, but they cost a bazillion dollars so that preference is useless. They do have a nice texture though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:37 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Someone once told me they thought I was a supertaster because I can't stand celery or cucumber, which apparently taste of very little to most people but taste of vileness to me. And maybe that's why I can't drink beer, green tea or G&Ts, because I find them to be really bitter, and I have to have a ton of sugar/milk in coffee to drink it (rarely).

So yeah, my life would be a hell of a lot easier if I liked any of the above (especially beer - it's so much easier to get vegan beer on a night out than wine (which I only sometimes like) or cider).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:33 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I dont have many foods i dont like that are 'natural' (like fruits, grains, veggies). Trying to get with the Kale, it is coming slowly along. (It's a texture thing, so its all about finding the right preperation)

But processed foods? HUGE list. Mt. Dew is #1 on that list. that shizzz is so gross. My partner drinks like 4-5 two liters of that crepe a week. Lots of other processed, pre-perpared foods as well..usually processed food literally leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Gross.

I have heard theroies that people change every 7 years (especially women) that includes some of our peronality traits, our skin, our hair, our tast in food etc.

I tend to belive this looking back on my life...I used to HATE some kinds of food and drink, and now love them. Espeically beer. I used to hate it so much, but now I have developed a taste for it. It was not just finding one I like, but my palate has changed over the years.

I used to not be allergic to anything, then for a long time I was mildly allergic to some foods (Pineapple, figs, kiwi fruit) and now those allergies are GONE! Currently Gin affects me in a very bad way, but I really like it, so i am hoping that will pass as well and i can enjoy my Gin Martinis again.

Also, my hair, skin, even aspects of my personality have changed a lot, and looking back, it really does seem to happen every 7 or so years at a time. Interesting.

So perhaps those of you that have some food aversions...maybe you should try some of them again! you might be surprised. perhaps you palate has changed and you can enjoy some of them now. Or maybe its just me, i dunno...i have some friends that have also experienced this 7 year thing (not just with food, but other stuff as well)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Tomatoes, god, I wish I liked tomatoes. I've been training myself to eat them in various forms but I don't think I'll ever like them raw in salads or burgers or whatnot.

Mushrooms taste like spongy, horrible dirt. I also dislike pickles, olives, beer, and brussels sprouts. Someone mentioned orange chocolate and I also find that horrible. I'm picky about condiments but have slowly opened up to using mustard in dressing, and ketchup on fries.

I was an incredibly picky eater as a child, which is why I haven't eaten meat since I was around 5 - I hated the taste of all meats and seafoods! Since going vegan I've found it's easier for me to try and appreciate foods because there is no psychological "ick" factor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:47 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

Celery. I wish I could eat it. I love the way it smells and tastes when I juice it, but the texture is something I have never ever been able to get past.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:02 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

choirqueer wrote:
Arisaig wrote:

Quote:

cabbage[16]
kale[18]
coffee[16]
grapefruit juice[17]
green tea[17]
spinach[16]
soy products[17]

Whatever the opposite of a supertaster is, I think I might be that. Other than the alcohol and carbonation (blechhhhh), right there is a list of Flavors I Love Most.

I have always considered myself a bit of a self-diagnosed supersmeller/supertaster, and this is like a list of my favorite things too!!

@CQ- my daughter when she was small used to taste carbonated stuff and say "spicy water! the water is spicy!" and was repulsed. To this day she doesn't like carbonated beverages. They're too spicy. The child will put sriracha on her mac and cheeze, but fizzy water makes her eyes run!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:16 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mole. Sorry I'm not sophisticated enough for you, Mole. My archenemy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:34 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Tofu scramble. I keep trying to like it but I have to douse it in ketchup to get it down.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

torque wrote:

@CQ- my daughter when she was small used to taste carbonated stuff and say "spicy water! the water is spicy!" and was repulsed. To this day she doesn't like carbonated beverages. They're too spicy. The child will put sriracha on her mac and cheeze, but fizzy water makes her eyes run!

I am definitely a spicy food yay person! When I go out for Indian food and they ask me how hot I want it, I tell them "MAKE IT BITE ME BACK!" and yet it's still never as hot as when I make it myself.

One time I was supposed to get one of those medical tests where they make you drink a ton of orange soda crepe and then test your blood sugar and I couldn't do the test. I took one sip of the soda and burst into tears. I literally could not even force myself to drink it. And lest you think, awww what a cute little kid...I was 17.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:43 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Beetroot!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:46 pm 
Countess Vagina

Raw broccoli and cauliflower can fork right off. I love both cooked but raw they just taste like what I imagine it would be like to eat a fart. I want to like them since they're good for you and they tend to dominate vegetable trays but I can't. Every time I try to eat them I end up fighting the urge to immediately spit them out onto the floor since that kind of behavior is frowned upon by society.

Honeydew melon. Almost every fruit salad I've ever been served in a restaurant has consisted of two strawberries, one blueberry, and 50 pieces of honeydew. I feel like eating honeydew is basically like eating styrofoam packing peanuts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:53 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

choirqueer wrote:
...I took one sip of the soda and burst into tears. I literally could not even force myself to drink it. And lest you think, awww what a cute little kid...I was 17.

(i barfed one of those when i was preggo. good times. ^shudder^)

AND LACY! Down with honeydew! i also think it tastes like eating ice cubes, only not nearly so tasty.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Right, cilantro! How could I forget! That`s probably the worst one for me... I find it sooo strong and bitter! I feel like it ruins whatevr it touches!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've made progress on the raw tomatoes and raw onions, but I wished I liked them more so I didn't have to force myself to eat them when they are on things, especially since if you get a sandwich sometimes they are bound to be on it.

I want to like eggplant more, but I have also made progress on this front. I'm a little grossed out by soy yoghurt, and I want that to be over with so I can fully enjoy it. I have come a long way on all these things though, so Its working. Cilantro, still can't stand it. Dont want to either, yuck.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:50 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I'm a soda hater too! Especially cola. That is one of the worst flavors ever. I can't understand how people enjoy drinking that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:24 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

torque wrote:

Growing up we called seltzer water "bitewater" in my house. I'm pretty sure I kept calling it that till I was in high school.

I guess I have a Twitter now

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I dislike most carbonated beverages. The bubbles wreck them for me! Once I ate a spicy burrito, and all I had to drink was Coke, and it made the spice in my mouth so much worse!

I like just about everything vegan though. Other than tempeh, parsnips, and the aforementioned pop. Not too bad. Oh, and wasabi. I can eat all these things though, I just don't like them.

I love honeydew and cantaloupe, but not in fruit salads - they are never ripe! It's totally worth seeking out a perfectly ripened melon. They taste WAY better and different.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:29 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't drink soda very often, but I like it. What I don't understand is how people drink it with a meal or just carry soda around with them all day long like a water bottle. ew.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next