| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite vegan ramen recipes?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:12 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

We choose a different theme for our Christmas meal every year, and this year we're making ramen. I'm looking for holiday-worthy vegan ramen recipes. Suggestions...? Has anyone tried the VEW or Isa's on the blog...? (I'm guessing they're awesome, but haven't had a chance to make them myself.) Any advice?

Post subject: Re: Favorite vegan ramen recipes?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:55 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I heard the ramen from Vegan Eats World were wonderfully good but I haven't tried them myself.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:03 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I don't have suggestions, but let us know when you pick one and how it turns out! I'm always nervous about ramen for some reason so I will be watching this thread closely! Sounds tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:42 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i guess the question is what you have access to. can you get good fresh noodles, or are you making your own? or do you live in a hole like me and have no decent noodles? I read (maybe on chow?) that you can boil any noodles, even spaghetti, in baking soda water to get an authentic-ish ramen taste. I haven't tried it yet but it is on my list (actually i think for Xmas eve i will be making hiyashi chuka, so i better get on it soon ;-P).

my suggestion would be to make Taymer's ham and put slices of that in. stew up some carrots and any other veg that tastes good. we sort of wing the broth, but it is a mushroom and kombu base.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:06 pm 

torque wrote:
i guess the question is what you have access to. can you get good fresh noodles, or are you making your own? or do you live in a hole like me and have no decent noodles?

Yeah I was thinking about that, but apparently my husband was thinking we'd just get the ramen noodles at the supermarket (sans packets) and use that. I know, seems kind of a travesty, but the recipes I saw seemed mostly based on those noodles, soo....?

torque wrote:
I read (maybe on chow?) that you can boil any noodles, even spaghetti, in baking soda water to get an authentic-ish ramen taste. I haven't tried it yet but it is on my list (actually i think for Xmas eve i will be making hiyashi chuka, so i better get on it soon ;-P).

Ooooh right. I think I saw that in an episode of "Mind of a Chef" with David Chang. Thanks for the reminder!

torque wrote:
my suggestion would be to make Taymer's ham and put slices of that in. stew up some carrots and any other veg that tastes good. we sort of wing the broth, but it is a mushroom and kombu base.

Oh good ideas!! Thanks Torque!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:13 pm 

Whoa... I'm just reading about the David Chang chickpea hozon...

http://ny.eater.com/2014/6/26/6201017/i ... best-ramen

Is it vegan? Has anyone tried it? Looks like it's mostly available through restaurants but that kind of stuff seems to make its way out somehow...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:42 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

These noodles in a jar look so cute http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014 ... ecipe.html
Maybe it's a nice serving suggestion, I bet you can serve any ramen recipe that way.
Or use glass bowls if you do not want to use jars.
I would just make some really nice broth/sauce and some toppings and let people assemble their own bowl.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:03 pm 
Semen Strong

Thanks for the link dandykins! It says the ramen has butter in and isn't vegan. Wonder if they can make it vegan with enough notice. It sounds amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:55 am 

Tofulish wrote:
Thanks for the link dandykins! It says the ramen has butter in and isn't vegan. Wonder if they can make it vegan with enough notice. It sounds amazing!

Oh, good point! I've been focused on the hozon - wondering if that was vegan - versus the whole dish. I wasn't very clear. But you're right, maybe they could make the noodles vegan with enough notice. I bet it would be amazing...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:57 am 

Here's a post about using baking soda water to approximate ramen noodles, from Good Eats - I think this is what you were referring to, Torque, right?:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/baki ... -hack.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:02 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes yes, i was just there and was going to post it, then fell down the work rabbithole.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:07 am 

Maaike wrote:
These noodles in a jar look so cute http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014 ... ecipe.html
Maybe it's a nice serving suggestion, I bet you can serve any ramen recipe that way.
Or use glass bowls if you do not want to use jars.
I would just make some really nice broth/sauce and some toppings and let people assemble their own bowl.

Oh, those jars ARE cute! We are rather clutzy diners, though, so not sure about the logistics of a lidded jar with a hinge with hot soup inside. It would totally be a memorable meal though, in an "I Love Lucy" kind of way ; )

Yeah, I think we're going to go with the tonkatsu-esque recipe in VEW, probably angel haired pasta prepared according to the Serious Eats article, and some assortment of toppings - maybe Isa's grilled tofus? Mushrooms? Blanched bok choy? Mmmmmm. There's a small amount of hope I can find some fresh vegan ramen noodles but it's rather remote...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:52 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

we will be doing the baking soda thing tonight to test for christmas eve (we have some guests dropping by and they will need fed). I'll let you know how it goes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:27 pm 
BAD PASS

There's a thread somewhere around here about those little jars. They're a take-to-work DIY noodle cup type thing. I made a few!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:05 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks so much for the baking soda tip! I just used baking soda to cook some whole wheat soba noodles, which turned out with a perfect texture. This so great, because I can now use my own noodles and my own broth mixes, but have that highly desirable "Top Ramen" style noodle texture that is chopstick friendly.

I used 0.5 tsp to 2.5 cups water to cook up a little bundle of soba noodles in a very small pot. I drained and rinsed the noodles with hot water, then added them to a bowl of Osem vegan chicken broth.

Thank you PPK! <3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:44 pm 

Crowdsourced ramen! Go interweb! (And PPK.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i did a test run last night and it was AMAZING.
I used what was probably 1t per liter of cooking water, and the cheapest crepe spaghetti i could find. it was really, really good.

Quagga, thanks for reporting- I usually use WW pasta but for our Christmas crowd that is too exotic- but it is good to know it will work when I am just feeding myself.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:31 am 

So... reportback! Overall, I think it was a success. We ended up going with the ramen out of VEW. I think there's a typo in that recipe. Does anyone know if there's compiled errata for VEW posted somewhere...?

Anyway it called for mincing 10 cloves of garlic, then nestling the cloves (with slices of ginger) between slices of onion. How does one nestle a minced clove, exactly...? In any case, of course the garlic burned far earlier than the onions were anywhere close to done. We tried to save it but had to start over because the resulting soup, after we added water, was bitter from the burnt garlic. And starting over required cleaning out the charred bottom of the pan (enameled cast iron.) We tried again, but this time just skipped mincing the garlic, and success! We made a few other tweaks - added 10oz of fresh mushrooms to the mix with the leeks and bottom/white part of the scallions, added a chunk of kombu during the first 45 min simmer.

BTW, the recipe called for cutting the leeks into 1" chunks but made no mention of the rather specialized way you have to rinse leeks to get all the grit that's inevitably hiding in the layers. If I hadn't had experience with leeks, I would have just cut them into 1" chunks and put it in the pot. Instead, I cut the leek down the middle before cutting into 1" chunks so that we could easily rinse the layers in a strainer. They didn't have a lot of grit, but it doesn't take a lot to ruin a dish.

The recipe calls for "10 dried shitaake mushrooms," but the package of dried mushrooms we got were basically crossections of shiitakes, so how many crossections = a mushroom? No idea. We used the bag. We also added the soymilk after 90 min of simmering instead of after the first 45 min specified in the recipe. We decided against straining out the vegetables - just fished out the ginger coins. Does anyone know how I should have interpreted the 10 shitaake mushrooms...?

I'm not sure what happened, but after we added the tahini, mirin and miso, the soup broke. That said - it was still very tasty.

Used the baking soda method for the noodles - we used 2t for every quart of water. We were sure to rinse the noodles well before adding them to the soup. My inlaws and husband weren't big fans of it, but I thought it was good - it had more of the chewy texture, but not sure how different it was from al dente pasta. Maybe I did it wrong...?

We blanched some bok choy (tender green parts reserved to add raw) and had enoki mushrooms, thinly sliced scallions and oven-roasted tofu for garnishes. Aside from the soup breaking - maybe it was the addition of the tahini...? - it was really very good and extremely filling. The recipe was supposed to feed four people. All four of us had a big bowful, but there was still a good amount left over and we were stuffed!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:05 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the mushrooms often come whole- lately i am buying slices too, and i figure that maybe 6 slices equal one shroom.

i found that boiling half a kg of pasta worked much better than 1kg of pasta for this method. And they said on the blog to not reuse the boil water-- it was too crowded and the pasta wasn't too different.
the pasta changes color, has a bit more chewiness (i think) and tends to stick together in a different way instead of being slippery spaghetti. i think it has a bit of a taste but that may be psychosomatic since i miss ramen so much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:12 pm 

Yes, it was definitely a more yellow color. And more chewy. How did your Christmas Eve ramen go?

Re whole dried shiitake mushrooms - crazy! I've not seen that before, but then again, I haven't used them often. Good to know - thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

our cold ramen went over like gangbusters!! it was great, everyone loved it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:54 pm 

Cold ramen?? I have much to learn...! I'm so glad it went well!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:48 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Have a search for hiyashi chuka (hiyashi is cool, and chuka is short for chuka soba, or ramen). it is classic hot summer food in Japan. It was supposed to be wicked hot here for Christmas so I thought it would be perfect. Little did I know we would be rained in and freezing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:40 pm 

Awesome, thanks, will do!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Delurking to report I made the Serious Eats vegan ramen and it was amazing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015 ... ecipe.html

I only read the site in Feb when one of the main writers goes vegan for the month. His cooking style is very much "let's spend 3 hours in the kitchen obsessively making the most perfect version of X." He upfront says this ramen recipe will take 3 hours to make all the parts. Soooo worth it.