| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: August use your cookbooks challenge
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:56 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

any one who wants to play along again jump in.

here is the original thread for reference.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32827

the general theme is to pick a cookbook from your collection you feel is underutilized and cook from it throughout the month.

my personal goal is to make 4 recipes out of my chosen cookbook that i have never made before so roughly 1 a week.

some other people are doing variations on this theme like cooking for the season or trying to cook local or whatever.
all variations are welcome.

jump on in!

please when you post state what you are doing and what cookbook you are cooking from (if you have chosen to do the cookbook thing)

pictures are more than welcome.

Post subject: Re: August use your cookbooks challenge
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm going for American Vegan Kitchen, I've used it quite a lot last year so will be trying new recipes this year

Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:11 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Salad Samurai.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:03 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think im gonna try Vegan Table and a bit of Salad Samurai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:08 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm going to just. . . try. . . to do. . . something. Anything. I haven't cooked in months. This is pathetic and school is starting soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:59 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

My meal plan this month has me using several books. Vegan Diner, VWAV, Isa Does It mostly, with a couple others thrown in too.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:58 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the White bean cassoulet from One dish Vegan. No one really liked it, maybe it was the parsnips? I have heard good things about this recipe. Oh Well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:51 am 
Naked Under Apron

oddspongeout wrote:
I'm going to just. . . try. . . to do. . . something. Anything. I haven't cooked in months. This is pathetic and school is starting soon.

Except for the school part, this is my life. I have GOT to cook more than just ramen or frozen food.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the French Onion Soup, it burnt to the pan- complete failure.

The loaded baked potato soup was brilliant though.

Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:51 am 
BAD PASS

I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do, but I do need to join this month's challenge. I'm leaning toward Vegan Diner, since I've barely used it and that's really the whole point of this challenge, right?

(But I'm still so into Richa's recipes... I just basically want Indian food for every meal.)

A friend is going to take care of my dog while I'm out of town this weekend, and I'm kinda broke, so I can't give her money or a gift card like I have in the past, but I can leave her some delicious treats... so I'll start with Vegan Diner for that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:48 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

tonight for dinner i made the caramelized tempeh shawarmas from Vegan Table and the BKT salad from Salad Samurai.
ive made both before so knew i liked them. the shawarmas was one of the first ways i would eat tempeh. i add a little bit of peanut butter to the tahini sauce which i know is totally not authentic but it helps cut down on the bite from the tahini sauce

i forgot to put avocado in the BKT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:45 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I was thinking I'd start cooking out of Isa Does It; my partner got it for me for coldmas, but I had only cooked two or three things out of it (dilly stew, rosemary cookies, roasted red pepper mac). I just hadn't been excited by any of the recipes in it, you know?

I looked through it last night and I want to cook pretty much everything? I made the sundried tomato penne just now, and three of us devoured it and it's gone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:22 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm going to jump in this month. I'm using Isa Does It and Vegan Pie in the Sky. I started just a bit early with Isa Does it and so far made two new recipes. First, Tempeh Giardino. I loved this recipe. It's so basic and simple but I thought it packed a ton of flavor. I served it over quinoa and ate two bowls. Will make this again.

Next up was the Ancho Lentil tacos. Why did I wait so long to make these. I bought some whole dried ancho peppers at a Mexican market and made my own dried spice - just gave them a whirl in my spice grinder. Loved these, but will add more ancho chili powder next time. My omni husband ate four tacos and proclaimed them the best lentil tacos (though it was it first time ever eating lentil tacos).

Finally, the peach pandowdy from VPITS. This was the best of all three new recipes. Fresh peaches just make this dish. This would be a great dish for someone to get started with making and using pie dough. It was simple to put together and so tasty. It lost some of its texture the second night of eating it. Looking forward to making this one again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:55 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm in! I just bought Vegan Richa's Indian cookbook so that is what I'll use. I used the "I'm too busy to cook" excuse all through July. Maybe this will keep me motivated. I'm going to aim for one new recipe every week - starting with today.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:22 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Tonight was the Seitan Makhani from Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen. It was super easy to make. And the flavors were out of this world. The recipe had adequate downtime which allowed for me to make the Cabbage with Mustard Seeds and Coconut without feeling rushed. We are it with rice and some store bought naan.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

yesterday i made the tempeh taco salad from Salad Samurai and the garlic glazed green beans from the Vegan Table.

the salad was really good. i didnt do the tortilla shell bowl. for the dressing you basically put an avocado and cilantro into the Back at the Ranch dressing base. the original recipe says to put in 3 tbsp of a fresh herb like dill, basil, or tarragon. the only thing i had fresh was basil but i decided against it since you have to put cilantro in the version for the taco bowl. i found the dressing to be a tiny bit bland by itself but on the salad it was great.
i think i will be putting this salad into regular rotation.

the green beans from Vegan Table ive made a bunch of times before and know we like it. the only advice i have on this is make sure your pan isnt too hot when you put in the soy sauce and maple syrup otherwise it will burn on contact!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

That salad looks amazing, LP!

I made Arabian Lentil Rice Soup (AFR) and Olive Oil Bread (IDI) the other day. Which, sadly, I have made many times before. So I guess I'm not doing well with the original challenge. But it's helping with my personal "COOK MORE, DAMMIT" challenge, so I'm proud of myself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:06 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I made the banana bread from Veganomicon and wow it is excellent. Much better than the Betty Crocker recipe I used to use. I could eat this everyday. I also made Veganomicon's corn bread but we made this for camping so we haven't had any yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm not good at this game. I made the Vanilla fruit cups from Salad Samurai & am going to make something else from it that I have made before and really liked.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:11 am 
Huffs Nooch

LisaPunk wrote:
yesterday i made the tempeh taco salad from Salad Samurai and the garlic glazed green beans from the Vegan Table.

the salad was really good. i didnt do the tortilla shell bowl. for the dressing you basically put an avocado and cilantro into the Back at the Ranch dressing base. the original recipe says to put in 3 tbsp of a fresh herb like dill, basil, or tarragon. the only thing i had fresh was basil but i decided against it since you have to put cilantro in the version for the taco bowl. i found the dressing to be a tiny bit bland by itself but on the salad it was great.
i think i will be putting this salad into regular rotation.

the green beans from Vegan Table ive made a bunch of times before and know we like it. the only advice i have on this is make sure your pan isnt too hot when you put in the soy sauce and maple syrup otherwise it will burn on contact!

I love that salad. It has been a weekday go to recipe in our house. Sometimes we skip the dressing all together and just add avocado. I've never made the tortilla shell bowl but have just added tortilla chips.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I guess I am late, but I am going to cook from Artisanal Vegan Cheese and Isa Does It.

From AVC, I've already made the Rejuvelac, the Pub Cheddar and am planning to make either the Oat American Cheese or the Smoked Provolone (if I can just substitute the carrageenan).

From IDI the Pad Thai, the salad with radishes, and the overnight scramble.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:52 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

pepitajobo wrote:
I guess I am late, but I am going to cook from Artisanal Vegan Cheese

Had a small giggling fit over this (although for moment I thought it was just a very niche market vegan cheese cookbook)

Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:52 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've been cooking from Vegan Pantry a lot which surprises me, so I might finally revisit AVC too. I also want to cook from the Prashad book. There is SO MUCH I want to make from the latter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:24 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Star wrote:
pepitajobo wrote:
I guess I am late, but I am going to cook from Artisanal Vegan Cheese

Had a small giggling fit over this (although for moment I thought it was just a very niche market vegan cheese cookbook)

It is! ;)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:17 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

made a few things in the last couple days. made the pasta with fresh veggies from Vegan Table to use up a bunch of CSA vegs.
we've made this before and it's yummy

tonight i made the kale with sesame miso dressing and ratatouille with white beans both from Vegan Table.

the kale ive made before and it's good. the ratatouille was the first time ive made it and that was yummy too! i didnt follow the recipe exactly because i needed to use up various CSA vegs i had in the fridge.