| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: St. Patrick's Day Grub
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

So is anybody cooking anything special for St. Patrick's day this year? Didn't see a thread for it.

It's becoming a fast tradition of mine to go to this big festival at one of the Irish pubs nearby and this year I'll be going earlier than usual, so my St. Patty's day meal will be in the morning. Right now it's either:

A.) Slow cooked vegan coned beef and cabbage from Vegan on the Cheap.
B.) Irish breakfast (tofu scramble, potatoes, tomato, mushrooms, baked beans, tempeh bacon or sausage).
C.) Tall glass of Jameson and a slice of Ezekiel bread to soak it up (JK).

I've done the "full English breakfast" thing before, but I've never done the corned beef before. The recipe is much like her potroast, though which I love. I haven't been able to find any reviews of the recipe online, though.

Post subject: Re: St. Patrick's Day Grub
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:16 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think we're doing potato soup and I want to get my shiitake together enough to do Chocolate Beer Cupcakes with Irish Whiskey Buttercream

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:49 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

mmm...jamison.

I am making a Tofurkey this week, so i might use the leftovers for the Irish Stew in AFR (instead of setian.)

Or maybe ill make a vegan version of Colcannon. Not really sure yet. but Jamison is definitly on my menu.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I usually make colcannon, because I love it. Maybe some soda bread. I'll probably have pie leftover from Pie Day so I'll probably be lazy and not make dessert. Other years I've made chocolate stout muffins and Irish crème kisses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

My family is having a whole dinner thing and since I am the only veg person I plan on making it easy. Going to boil cabbage and potatoes in veggie broth. Maybe add some soy curls. I wanted to make cupcakes but so far my attempts are not coming out so good and I am not feeding my bad food to omnis so they can insult my lifestyle. My family can be difficult on a good day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:40 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm all about the St. Patty's day desserts. I've done chocolate stout cupcakes and Irish whisky cupcakes. A friend's toddler got a bite of the whisky cupcakes before we could warn her they had boos in them. "Well, I'm sure it all cooked off." she reasoned. "No, it's in the frosting too." I had to inform her. (Yes, the kid seemed to like it, no he didn't get more than the one bite, and no he didn't get drunk).
Last year was avocado pie, just because it was green. This year I was going to do green tea cupcakes, but it looks like the party isn't happening. I've also done edamame hummus cause it's green. So, I guess I'm all about the green food for St. Patty's day too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:48 am 
Keepin' It Seal

I really want to make the Irish Stew from AFR again. It was so good. I won't be home on St. Patrick's day, so I might just do it the next day.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:04 am 
Huffs Nooch

I tried making Irish Stew with Seitan. I browned onions and leeks and cooked itty bitty potatoes and carrot chunks... and it was fabulous... except the seitan completely ruined it. I ended up eating the potatoes out of it and we tossed the rest. :( Kinda bummed me out on Irish food this year.

I'll still make colcannon but I was hoping on having something 'meaty' to go with it and I just haven't come up with anything I'm happy with.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

IzzyTheTerrible wrote:
I'll still make colcannon but I was hoping on having something 'meaty' to go with it and I just haven't come up with anything I'm happy with.

How's about a couple of strips of tempeh bacon? You can even mix it into the colcannon. Or some "sausage"?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:42 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm thinking colcanon, seitan sausages and green beans and chocolate stout bundt cake for dessert.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Colcannon, stew, skillet soda bread, and some homemade vegan Bailey's. Maybe some stout cupcakes, too, now that I think about it!

edit: AFR has two holds at the library.... Could anyone PM me the Irish stew recipe? Or is that not allowed?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:06 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I think im going to make this http://www.bakingobsession.com/2010/03/ ... mon-icing/ using a vegan stout

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:31 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I just made the VotC slow cooker corned beef and cabbage the other day.. It was OK (the texture definitely improved after the seitan cooled!), but didn't seem flavored enough internally. I recall corned beef having more salt and acid, maybe. I think next time I might try this: http://thedomesticvegan.com/2010/03/18/ ... ef-seitan/ I'd probably still do it in the slow cooker, but maybe do it ahead, stick in the fridge, and then reheat..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I'll be making colcannon as well. Probly some seitan sausage as well, seems like that'll go well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
St. Patty's day
Appropriateness Alert! That's like saying you're going to Bechuanaland, Peking and Bombay with your very good friends Ungo-bungo and Ching Chang Chong (or however you say their heathen names).

Cracked succinclty wrote:
Every time someone calls it "Patty's" they prove they can't get through 24 hours without thinking of hamburgers. Paddy is short for Padraig (even though the d is silent in some dialects). Pat is short for Patrick, which is an English name. You might be aware of a slight history between the two countries. It still sort of works, but it would be like calling Independence Day "Super Happy Funtime Discount Fireworking Celebration!" You get the idea, but you're still naming one nation's celebration based on the language practices of a different nation with a history of causing your compatriots to be blown up by small, badly made explosives.
Also, Patty is short for Patricia.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

I might have a Guinness or something, but it's not something we really celebrate in England. I'll probably have forgotten by then anyway. We don't really celebrate St George's Day (who is England's patron saint) either. Anyhoo...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never cooked for St. Patrick's Day. I've always just considered it an excuse to get drunk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Gulliver wrote:
Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
St. Patty's day
Appropriateness Alert! That's like saying you're going to Bechuanaland, Peking and Bombay with your very good friends Ungo-bungo and Ching Chang Chong (or however you say their heathen names).

Cracked succinclty wrote:
Every time someone calls it "Patty's" they prove they can't get through 24 hours without thinking of hamburgers. Paddy is short for Padraig (even though the d is silent in some dialects). Pat is short for Patrick, which is an English name. You might be aware of a slight history between the two countries. It still sort of works, but it would be like calling Independence Day "Super Happy Funtime Discount Fireworking Celebration!" You get the idea, but you're still naming one nation's celebration based on the language practices of a different nation with a history of causing your compatriots to be blown up by small, badly made explosives.
Also, Patty is short for Patricia.

Sorry. Pet peeve.

Don't you mean Pat peeve? Hmm? I couldn't resist.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:59 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Roasted Potato and Leek soup and Irish Soda bread. Still looking for what soda bread recipe I'm going to use...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:04 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the Irish Soda Bread from Joy of Vegan Baking. It was really good! I just wish I added raisins, but I forgot.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I'm going to try making the Fat Free Vegan corned beef and cabbage with Gardein beef tips instead of seitan. Also some colcannon, and maybe soda bread, depending on how much time I have. I kind of feel like, if I'm making all this food for a holiday, I ought to invite some people over and have a party, but my apartment is a mess, and I don't really know that many people to invite over, anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I have a ton of work, so will likely be laying fairly low, but we'll lay in some stout and/or whisky, and making boxty is definitely part of my weekend plans.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/12/st-patricks-day-recipe-pan-boxty

My BFF (and favorite Joyce scholar)'s brown bread is fast, easy, and delicious.
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2008/10/vegan-mofo-11-joes-ridiculously-good.html

And this looks very nice for when I'm feeling sufficiently ambitious!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/14/dessert-st-patricks-day

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:06 pm 
Chip Strong

I've had this bookmarked forever http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/03/co ... puffs.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 am 

I'll probably make a tea brack - I've used this recipe in the past http://www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2010/11/b ... -loaf.html substitute egg replacer for the egg, and use bog-standard mixed fruit instead of fancy fruit, and I think I used less sugar. Delicious with a smear of marg (or not) and a cup of tea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:55 am 

Desdemona wrote:
I have a ton of work, so will likely be laying fairly low, but we'll lay in some stout and/or whisky, and making boxty is definitely part of my weekend plans.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/12/st-patricks-day-recipe-pan-boxty
[/url]

Hah! I've made this before, only called it 'rosti', I'm obviously ignorant of my culinary roots!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:58 am 

Bek wrote:
Roasted Potato and Leek soup and Irish Soda bread. Still looking for what soda bread recipe I'm going to use...

I've used this one http://www.odlums.ie/index.php?page=brown-soda-bread without the optional extras, and using soy milk with a bit of lemon juice or vinegar. Desdemona's one looks good too, if you prefer cup measurements.