| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: St. Patrick's Day Grub
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:18 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I've never participated in St. Patrick's Day celebrations, probably out of spite because here the city becomes covered in green beer puke by 10AM. And by people who aren't even of anything remotely resembling Irish heritage. This year, though, I'll probably make a good old fry up. Irish breakfast. Because who really needs an excuse to make that?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:30 am 
Flounceiad 2011

tigerpants wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I have a ton of work, so will likely be laying fairly low, but we'll lay in some stout and/or whisky, and making boxty is definitely part of my weekend plans.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/mar/12/st-patricks-day-recipe-pan-boxty
[/url]

Hah! I've made this before, only called it 'rosti', I'm obviously ignorant of my culinary roots!
Rösti, boxy, and latkes are evidence that a brilliant idea - in this case, grated potatoes fried until crispy - has the power to cross cultural, national, and religious boundaries!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:02 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My apologies Gulliver. I had no idea I was being offensive, so thank you for pointing that out. My intent was only to shorten the name and not have to type the whole thing, and I've heard it shortened that way so I used it. Won't do again. Serious question that will maybe make me sound like a total idiot. Is it ok to just shorten it by saying St. Pat's day, or is that still bad?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am 
Huffs Nooch

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
My apologies Gulliver. I had no idea I was being offensive, so thank you for pointing that out. My intent was only to shorten the name and not have to type the whole thing, and I've heard it shortened that way so I used it. Won't do again. Serious question that will maybe make me sound like a total idiot. Is it ok to just shorten it by saying St. Pat's day, or is that still bad?

Lol.... I had to look back to see wtfrak this was about. Too funny.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:52 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Honestly, I was only telling you/teh interwab because I thought it was an interesting fact. The Irish people I know shorten it to Paddy. Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, I was feeling surly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:52 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

So what is everyones favorite Colcannon recipe? When i think about it, I have never made it before! I should be ashamed...I am part irish!

I have these 2 bookmarked (i think the casserole sounds interesting):

http://www.manifestvegan.com/2011/03/co ... -casserole
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/03/co ... puffs.html

Then maybe with some irish sausages
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2008/03/du ... sages.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:53 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ok, so I think I'm going with the Irish breaky, too. I've never had black pudding before, but I found this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/black-pudding-vegan-212958

It looks easy enough to try. And it's from a cookbook, so it's likely been tested before. But I don't understand the 1oz TVP. Is that fluid ounces? Because if so, that's like nothing. And if it's by weight, how many fluid ounces = 1 ounce of TVP by weight? Recipe, Y U NO use cups and spoons?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:53 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It's not offensive in the slightest, at least not to me! Just a little irritating maybe, as nobody in Ireland calls it that, so it sounds a bit weird. We would call it 'Paddy's Day' - you can drop the St. if you're a heathen like me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:58 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Oh, so it was just my spelling that was the problem? I spell absolutely everything wrong. No one here would be able to understand me if it weren't for auto correct, spell check, etc. I once upset a parent by spelling her daughter's name incorrectly in a way that turned the name into a boy's name.

Anyway, back to the March 17th food talk!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

Chicki wrote:
So what is everyones favorite Colcannon recipe? When i think about it, I have never made it before! I should be ashamed...I am part irish!

I have these 2 bookmarked (i think the casserole sounds interesting):

http://www.manifestvegan.com/2011/03/co ... -casserole
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/03/co ... puffs.html

Then maybe with some irish sausages

Those are fancy ways of making a really basic recipe which is essentially mashed potatoes with boiled cabbage mixed in (or kale of course), and sometimes some meat of some sort, but we're pretty potatoes and potatoes kinda people so a big ol pot of mashed potatoes is right up our alley.

I boil the cabbage in the same water as my potatoes, but I put them in first.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:33 am 
Saggy Butt

nickvicious wrote:
Ok, so I think I'm going with the Irish breaky, too. I've never had black pudding before, but I found this recipe: http://www.food.com/recipe/black-pudding-vegan-212958

It looks easy enough to try. And it's from a cookbook, so it's likely been tested before. But I don't understand the 1oz TVP. Is that fluid ounces? Because if so, that's like nothing. And if it's by weight, how many fluid ounces = 1 ounce of TVP by weight? Recipe, Y U NO use cups and spoons?!

I used to love black pudding, and yes I knew the (animal) ingredients. I might try this - I wonder if it could be steamed in foil like other sausage recipes.

When you convert the recipe to metric it gives the tvp measurement in grams so it is likely 1 ounce by weight. I don't know how much that is in cups/tbsps but you might find a conversion online. I, the minimalist equipment person, finally bought a digital kitchen scale for this sort of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

I'm kinda tempted to make some potato bread to have for breakfast but I have nothing to eat it with other than some margarine.
Green thai curry for lunch just for the colour :)
It's my birthday so hopefully my housemates are making some form of irish themed cake again for me :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I got a late start at it today, and my usual try at corned seitan didn't work out as well this time, I used Brother Junipers Un-Beef recipe in a pressure cooker with some corning spices thrown in. I was pretty low on spices, so that might have been one problem. I also made it from scratch and may not have kneaded out enough starch. It came out a bit squishy, more so than usual, but otherwise texture was good. Will make a great hash for breakfast, I'm thinking. I ended up eating mostly boiled baby potatoes and steamed cabbage, and a beer. I wasn't even in the mood for colcannon, which I love.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:39 am 
Huffs Nooch

I made colcannon with leeks and cabbage this year. Braised them first before adding them to be mashed with the potatoes. They were a total hit. No kidding - my picky foster toddler scarfed down two bowls of it himself!

And my cabbage hating husband loved it.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:45 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I ended up making this:

I made the sausages as well.

Oh man it was SO GOOD. that sausage recipe is the bomb! (i didnt use the flax or the almond butter in the recipe-just left them out). I used Stone Arrogant B@stard Ale for the beer. Also, i didnt have fake beef broth, used fresh hommade stock that i added some vegan worshire sauce to.

My fiancee (omni) is pretty picky about faux meats, but he loved this.

The serving sizes were huge too! I actually halved the recipe and we had 2 really large servings each. Served with some simple sauteed Kale with garlic and onions

HIGHLY reccomend this recipe...and the sausages! my new go-to sausage recipe!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:02 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I made this:
http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2012/02/2 ... ness-stew/

Using Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout. It came out AWESOME, but the sauce was a little thin, so I used some agar agar to thicken it up. Leftovers for days!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:10 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

We made corned beef and cabbage. The pickling spices I used weren't quite right so the veggie meat didn't have the right flavor, but it was still good! And I loooooove boiled potatoes and cabbage, with a little champagne mustard. Oh man. In fact, I just let my partner eat all the veggie meat in a sandwich and I had the veggies. Yum yum yum.

We also made some Bailey's using coconut milk and had it in coffee. I made virgin Bailey's for my partner and I think it was better than the hard stuff!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:33 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made whole wheat soda bread and bacon-and-lentil soup from Hearty Vegan Meals for Monster Appetites. Not traditional, but delicious. I'm going to make some homemade Bailey's as soon as the grocery has Jameson in stock again....!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I don't think there's a thread on here yet (checking that awesome new cookbook index) for The (Almost) No Fat Holiday Cookbook, but I made everything on their St. Patrick's Day menu. Vegetarian Irish Stew with Guinness, Colcannon with Kale, Cabbage and Leeks, Oatmeal Scones with Parsley, and Irish Apple Bread Pudding. And some Glenkinchie to wash it all down. It was absolutely wonderful, very green and very delicious.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:42 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Except Guinness isn't vegan. There are other stouts that are though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:14 am 
Huffs Nooch

fruitbat wrote:

According to Barnivore, Guiness extra stout is vegan in North America.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:52 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

beanspark wrote:
fruitbat wrote:

According to Barnivore, Guiness extra stout is vegan in North America.

WHAT? GTFO!

I was DEVASTATED when i found out that Guiness was made with fish! this is GREAT NEWS! I used to love Guiness and havent had it in years!

(news to me anyway haha)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i'm just bumping this up since other PPK'ers might find it relevant.... i was about to ask for some recipe suggestions but now i have this thread to go through!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

tigerpants wrote:
I'll probably make a tea brack - I've used this recipe in the past http://www.thepinkwhisk.co.uk/2010/11/b ... -loaf.html substitute egg replacer for the egg, and use bog-standard mixed fruit instead of fancy fruit, and I think I used less sugar. Delicious with a smear of marg (or not) and a cup of tea.
Is that like bara brith? If so, it's proper lush.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

The 80's wrote:
I made the Irish Soda Bread from Joy of Vegan Baking. It was really good! I just wish I added raisins, but I forgot.

awesome, i have that cookbook but haven't made anything from it yet. looks like i'll be trying out the irish soda bread very soon! my hubby hates raisins in baked goods so i'll be leaving them out.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next