| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grocery Spending Issues
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Crazy! Here, cucumbers are normally only expensive ($3.49 or more each) if they're organic. The conventional ones really depend on the store and the season though. Usually about $2, unless there's a sale, and then they're around $0.99. Which is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah, cucumbers are usually expensive here too. The conventional ones go on SALE for $0.99.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

vijita wrote:
If I had like seven coupons for vegan ice cream, I might be tempted to buy vegan ice cream, but otherwise, I wouldn't be buying it in the first place. I don't really like how companies rope you into buying their product when you otherwise wouldn't.

oh, i think $3 is totally reasonable for so delicious, and we have a chest freezer, so it was a no brainer at $1 i was sad the vanilla wasn't on clearance, but chocolate obsession and pomegranate chip are equally as delicious. it's not like we were forcing ourselves to eat it. we love ice cream! and it lasted over a month, so i was happy.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:54 pm 

bcakes wrote:
- Throwing food out. We throw out a lot of leftovers because we don't eat them fast enough. I don't have a cost saving solution for this. The alternative would be to cook half batches of recipes, but then I'd wind up with half empty cans and such that would probably wind up in the trash instead of the leftovers. I'm hoping that when I have kids my budget won't go up that much because we'll be able to feed them on what normally goes in the trash (before it spoils, of course).

- Leftover night failure. We have leftover night every week where we're supposed to eat leftovers from the fridge. My husband invariably eats frozen nuggets or peanut butter or some other non-perishable item. Sometimes we also get takeout instead of eating perfectly good leftovers.

if you're making soups, most can be frozen and not have any ill effects. also, if you have a foodsaver vacuum system, they make a canning sealer lid, and this would be ideal to seal out air and store stuff in the fridge. (they also have specialized canisters which would work better than individual mason jars though, for leftovers)

if he fails on eating leftovers on leftover night, then make the next night also leftover night.
or if one dish makes more than you were expecting, push one of the meals you were planning on cooking off until the next week, and add another leftover night. if it's boring eating leftovers, you can spice it up and make something new with them.

do you not bring leftovers to lunch? lunch doesn't have to only consist of sandwiches.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:10 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
I went to the store today and the conventional cucumbers were $2.49 each!

You are shopping in the wrong places! Cucumbers shouldn't be that much anywhere in Boston.

yeah I know, this was at Shaw's which is a ripoff. I also go to the Johnnie's Foodmaster near my place a lot but produce can be pricey there too.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

supercarrot wrote:
bcakes wrote:
- Throwing food out. We throw out a lot of leftovers because we don't eat them fast enough. I don't have a cost saving solution for this. The alternative would be to cook half batches of recipes, but then I'd wind up with half empty cans and such that would probably wind up in the trash instead of the leftovers. I'm hoping that when I have kids my budget won't go up that much because we'll be able to feed them on what normally goes in the trash (before it spoils, of course).

- Leftover night failure. We have leftover night every week where we're supposed to eat leftovers from the fridge. My husband invariably eats frozen nuggets or peanut butter or some other non-perishable item. Sometimes we also get takeout instead of eating perfectly good leftovers.

if you're making soups, most can be frozen and not have any ill effects. also, if you have a foodsaver vacuum system, they make a canning sealer lid, and this would be ideal to seal out air and store stuff in the fridge. (they also have specialized canisters which would work better than individual mason jars though, for leftovers)

if he fails on eating leftovers on leftover night, then make the next night also leftover night.
or if one dish makes more than you were expecting, push one of the meals you were planning on cooking off until the next week, and add another leftover night. if it's boring eating leftovers, you can spice it up and make something new with them.

do you not bring leftovers to lunch? lunch doesn't have to only consist of sandwiches.

yeah one thing I can say for myself is that I pretty much never have to throw out food. Partly because I'm a human vacuum cleaner, and I eat tons of leftovers for lunch at work.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm 
Cranky

Quarantined wrote:
Dr. Apricot wrote:
Quarantined wrote:
I went to the store today and the conventional cucumbers were $2.49 each!

You are shopping in the wrong places! Cucumbers shouldn't be that much anywhere in Boston.

yeah I know, this was at Shaw's which is a ripoff. I also go to the Johnnie's Foodmaster near my place a lot but produce can be pricey there too.

Do you have a Market Basket near you? That's by far the best. Super 88 usually has cheap produce, too.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Today I stopped by the health food store for "a few" things. I thought about this thread when I picked up a can of organic baked beans that were over $3. I got them but it made me think I could make my own for much cheaper. Anyway when they rung up my order and said $133 I didn't bat an eye because that's pretty typical. But when I got to the car and glanced at my receipt, I saw they charged me $70+ for $3 water. Holy forking hell! I'm glad I noticed it right away. They ended up giving me the water for free and I left with $70+ in cash.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Quarantined wrote:

do you have a pricerite near you? their produce prices are usually fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 8:46 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

You know, I'm realizing what a bargain my CSA box program is, especially because we usually try to buy organic and local, but at the health food stores and organic sections of conventional grocery stores the produce tends to be either sad or overpriced (or both, and almost always from California even in the middle of the summer!). It's also easy to budget around because we pay in advance, so my actual store shopping is reduced immensely. The only problem I'm having right now is recipe testing, which I love, but it has me buying avocados and out-of-season produce that I normally wouldn't. So I've been buying most of those conventional. And getting creative with the surprise CSA offerings!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Ravenhood, I really, really enjoyed your post and your tips-especially the dumpster diving one,and about how to use veggie and fruit "scraps". Love the long posts as well, chicki and bcakes...(whee! the finance nerd in me loves lengthy reads on budget-y stuff!)..and everyone elses' tips!

The one thing that I have found makes a difference is a solid meal plan, for a week or two weeks at a time, by any means necessary. Not that it's a failing, in fact, it was quite a pleasure, but for a time I had subscribed to veggiemealmaker (they're vegan and they're on the ppk, yay!) online meal planning, which cost from $6-$8 a month, after a month-long free trial!...

They broke everything down for ya, even list costs at different grocery stores (applicable in the US). Then I followed that, and printed out the menus as they were releases, which I have quite a stockpile of! :) huge savings, way less hassle for people that otherwise fail at meal planning.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:49 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Dr. Apricot wrote:
Do you have a Market Basket near you? That's by far the best. Super 88 usually has cheap produce, too.

I've heard it's awesome, but I'm in Charlestown and don't have a car. I am getting a ride to Costco tomorrow so maybe I'll get some deals. Is there a Super 88 in the South End? I go to a Chinese market on Wash. St. in Chinatown and they have dirt cheap produce, I got a whole tray of ginger for a buck last week, but I'm too lazy to stop there separately most of the time.

I am getting Boston Organics now, which is handy, and the prices are ok. I haven't really broken it down yet but for organic produce I think it's a good deal.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:50 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

torque wrote:
Quarantined wrote:

do you have a pricerite near you? their produce prices are usually fantastic.

I haven't seen one- it's probably more out where you have to drive to?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

@quarantined---
looks like Hyde Park might be the closest- bummer
http://pricerite.mywebgrocer.com/StoreL ... &uc=6BB828

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:32 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

Quarantined wrote:
supercarrot wrote:
bcakes wrote:

yeah one thing I can say for myself is that I pretty much never have to throw out food. Partly because I'm a human vacuum cleaner, and I eat tons of leftovers for lunch at work.

Hehe me too. I also love leftover lunches because they are free and so much better than my options at work!

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 4:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mollyjade wrote:
I spend way more than I used to on food and I have no shame about it. I have the money, I'm spending it at businesses and on products that share my values, I'm eating healthily and not wasting food for the most part. I'm incredibly grateful that I have the ability not to pinch my pennies anymore. But I'm not flogging myself for how I spend money either.

I will love it if/when I get to this point. I would absolutely love to spend all of money at places that have the same kinds of values as me. I think it's wonderful and from what I've learned these last few years of living cheaply, there are so many things I can cut of my life and not miss. Once I have the funds, I'll be happy to keep most unnecessary spending out so that I can support small/local/fair trade/etc. much more than I do now. In fact, when I think about what having a better paying job means, I don't dream about a big house or extravagant vacations--I just want to live somewhere more conducive to growing my own veggies and the ability to support awesome businesses doing work I want to get behind.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I make an effort to buy generic and bulk bin stuff when possible, but we spend about $120 a week for two people, buying mostly organic and cooking 6-7 meals each week... sometimes more if we're out of expensive things or paper products.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 8:14 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Dr. Apricot wrote:

I'm so psyched to move and shop at MB again!

Around here I never pay more than $.79 for a cuke, unless it's one of those seedless plastic wrapped ones at which point I'll go as high as $1.49 or so.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 1:46 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

supercarrot wrote:

I'm really spoiled. We have catered lunch at work. Usually, there something vegan friendly for me to eat 2 or 3 days a week, so I'm only bringing in leftovers the other few days. Even then, I only need to bring a main dish since there are always a big salad and steamed veggies available.

I think you're right that I should work on freezing more of my leftovers. Perhaps they will seem less boring if they make their reappearance a few weeks down the line.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:29 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made my list and went shopping yesterday with this thread in mind. I spent $40 at Sprouts (its a bulk bin/'farmers market' type place).

That would have been fine...but then I had to go to the supermarket and get milk and junk food and crepe for my man. Spent $20 on that.

But $60 is pretty awesome for me! Usually I am around $100. sometimes just being concious of it helps I guess. This is a paycheck we have a lot of bills due so i tried to keep it kinda low. And a meal plan for the week. Every time.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a running joke that instead of savings account I have a Whole Foods account. I must drop at least $250.00 a week on food and household items at WF. I refuse to buy non-organic produce though, so I'm sure this is why my bill is always huge. And my husband drinks coffee, so of course I buy him the organic fair trade whole beans. I also have a hummus and kombucha addiction at the moment so that isn't helping things either. And I know I should be making my own hummus, but put me in the category of being too damn lazy. We also get all of our vitamins and supplements from WF and I normally pick up a box of Clif Bars a week. My grocery cart is something like this:

Organic Produce & Fresh Organic Herbs
Vitamins (once a month)
Clif Bars
Spices
Hemp Milk/Soy Milk - Organic
Grains - Organic
Beans - Organic
Gluten Free Pasta
Pasta Sauce - Organic
Nut Butters - Organic
Maple Syrup - Organic
Gluten Free Oatmeal - Organic
Hummus - Organic 6 large containers
Bubbies Pickles
Brown Rice Tortilla Wraps - 2 packs
So Delicious Coconut Almond Bars - 1 box
TP, Paper Towels, Tissues, Plastic Baggies, Aluminum Foil, Cling Wrap, Parchment Paper (When Needed)
Household Cleaning Supplies (When Needed)
Popcorn - Half Naked 2 bags
Amy's Rice Crust Vegan Pizza - 1
Kombucha - 7 bottles
Sushi - Brown Rice Avocado and Cucumber rolls - 2
Vegan Dumplings - Some from the hot bar for my husband
Steamed Asian Veggies - From the hot bar for me

That is pretty much the norm for me. My veggies, beans, and grains change depending on what I'm making. I always meal plan for the week and make a grocery list so I know what I am buying when I go. But I don't ever look at the prices on what I buy. For me it almost always needs to be organic if at all possible and I buy what I like.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I tried going to farmers markets near me but none of them are organic. So I walked away empty handed and was pretty bummed out about it. There is a huge farmers market a few towns over every Saturday in the summer. And I would love to support all of the local farms. But until they start growing organic produce I won't buy from them. Hopefully my grocery bill will go down since we started our own organic vegetable garden this year! It will be awesome to go in my back yard for veggies and herbs when I need them.

I get some really good locally made organic tofu at WF's too. It's pretty expensive as far as tofu goes.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:02 am 
Who's Ted Leo?

I only buy organic too. Many years when I first started going to the FM I did not see much organic and I asked what the deal was. I found out a lot of farmer's were organic and just waiting on the certification process, it does not hurt to ask.
Also at our FM we have a hummus vendor that is has like 98% of the products vegan. The deal is you buy 3 hummus or salads (tofu/bean salad, artichoke salad of grain salad) and a bag of pita chips or bread and it is $15 - so it is a good deal and the hummus flavors are the best. They have stuff like black bean with harissa and avacodo...

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missmuffcake wrote:
I only buy organic too. Many years when I first started going to the FM I did not see much organic and I asked what the deal was. I found out a lot of farmer's were organic and just waiting on the certification process, it does not hurt to ask.
Also at our FM we have a hummus vendor that is has like 98% of the products vegan. The deal is you buy 3 hummus or salads (tofu/bean salad, artichoke salad of grain salad) and a bag of pita chips or bread and it is $15 - so it is a good deal and the hummus flavors are the best. They have stuff like black bean with harissa and avacodo...

That sounds awesome! I wish that was the case where I am. We asked and grilled all of the farmers at the market. Not one of them was growing organically. Well, that's not true. One farm was, but they only thing they were selling was strawberries and snow peas or something random like that.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:12 am 

GraciaKai wrote:
There is a huge farmers market a few towns over every Saturday in the summer. And I would love to support all of the local farms. But until they start growing organic produce I won't buy from them.

i read in the paper that collingswood has more organic farmers this year. (i never remember to wake up early enough to go though. when i had gone in the past, my lateness made me miss all of their good stuff.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next