| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grocery Spending Issues
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:16 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Amy wrote:
Oh god, buying coffee is like a whole separate issue. I buy 1-2 iced coffees a day during the work week, because it's seriously the part of my work day I most look forward to. (Yeah, that's sad).

Ahem, ahem.

Yes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:40 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

for the starbucks addicts, there's a livingsocial voucher $5 for a $10 gift card - http://www.livingsocial.com/deals/44860 ... ui=9812215

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:28 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've had more vegetables all summer from my garden than I know what to do with, but I don't have too many stocked up and less than I would like that seem established and successful for this fall and winter. Is a 7 week CSA share for $90 a good deal? That would be less than $13 a week, and it is the smaller share, but its for two people, so we probably don't need the larger one. I just found a CSA that will cover from 9-16-12 to 10-28-12 for $90, then the next 7 weeks the same price if I like it. That ends 12-17-12, but this other csa has $200 shares for 17 weeks of winter, starting dec. 5, so then I could get those weeks covered too, and reduce wintertime produce spending while increasing the quality. I think I'm going to go for it, cause for about $400 it would be 31 weeks of vegetables, and everything else I buy is bulk goods like beans, rice and flours, so I'd save a lot of money. Actually I wouldn't since I just don't buy so many vegetables due to the price. I'd probably be spending the same amount but increase the amount of food I get for that money.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:35 pm 
Semen Strong

First TJ's shopping trip, and I stuck to my list but still ended up with $140. I think I have to cut back on the processed stuff. But I do think that food will last at least 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:17 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
First TJ's shopping trip, and I stuck to my list but still ended up with $140. I think I have to cut back on the processed stuff. But I do think that food will last at least 3 weeks.

That doesn't seem bad at all for a family of 3. It can be really challenging to cut back on convenience foods. If I buy something like Tofurkey crumbles, I stretch it out with beans when I make tacos or whatever.

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

vegetable_assassin wrote:
I've had more vegetables all summer from my garden than I know what to do with, but I don't have too many stocked up and less than I would like that seem established and successful for this fall and winter. Is a 7 week CSA share for $90 a good deal? That would be less than $13 a week, and it is the smaller share, but its for two people, so we probably don't need the larger one. I just found a CSA that will cover from 9-16-12 to 10-28-12 for $90, then the next 7 weeks the same price if I like it. That ends 12-17-12, but this other csa has $200 shares for 17 weeks of winter, starting dec. 5, so then I could get those weeks covered too, and reduce wintertime produce spending while increasing the quality. I think I'm going to go for it, cause for about $400 it would be 31 weeks of vegetables, and everything else I buy is bulk goods like beans, rice and flours, so I'd save a lot of money. Actually I wouldn't since I just don't buy so many vegetables due to the price. I'd probably be spending the same amount but increase the amount of food I get for that money.

about $13/week sounds really good to me. The ones I have locally start at $30/week. I would do that if it was for me.

Where I live, CSA's and farmers markets are not a very good deal. Seems funny since California is know for good local produce. Luckily, the stores do have great produce, and decent prices. I go to a local 'farmers market' type store that has mostly locally grown stuff at really good prices.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 pm 

ACK!!! i just spent well over one month's worth of grocery budget in 2 days! (in my defense, we really needed to stock back up on some things, and thanksgiving BETTER feed us for a week. goshdarnit!)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:14 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm a bit of an impulse buyer when it comes to food shopping too, I don't calculate how much I spend weekly or monthly. I've only been living in my current place for a couple of months and already I've had to do a clear-out of the fridge! I think that has alot to do with being in a new place and trying out new products. I cook dried beans and make sure I have leftovers to bring for lunch but I currently live near to two completely vegan shops so I could easily spend a fortune on vegan cheese (Vegusto is amazing but is 6,90€ (US$8.95) for one block!) if I didn't limit myself! As many of you have said, food and cooking is my hobby and I don't really spend money on anything else.

Blog: veganbutnotscary.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:32 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I have been staying away from the monthly budgeting challenges threads. I did it for one month, and it was very boring, meal wise. Back to about $100/week (including eating out about once a week). I guess that is not too bad. After all, I don't eat out for lunch (EVER. and my partner uses his own money for that when he does.). We both bring breakfast to work as well. I was really happy with the money that I saved, but we both agreed that we liked more variety in our meals.

BUT, due the worst financial week ever (stolen phone, broken mp3 player, IRS audit, surprise insurance increase) means I will REALLY have to cut down a lot. thank jebus for the bulk bins at my local market. And thank jebus that we love lentils, rice, beans, and VWG was on sale last week and I have a shitton in my pantry.

Goodbye organic vegetables. I will miss you. Goodbye $8-10 bottles of wine. Hello again $4.99 bottles of wine. (and hello again hangovers if I drink more than 1 glass of that crapola).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:02 pm 

Ugh, just spent nearly $100 at the grocery store for just me. Hopefully all this produce will last me more than just the week. And I did buy medjool dates and almonds, which were $25 alone. Still - I need to spend less money at the grocery store. I just love food!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:29 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I read that Aldi is testing out organic stuff in some areas, including my state. I wasn't impressed with the selection last time, but if they have organic at a good price, I'm willing to try again.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 am 
Cranky

Aldi has some good stuff going on right now! I got some tasty brown rice chips, and I have frozen steel-cut oatmeal in my freezer waiting to be consumed. They also have some fruit leather. I don't know about organic produce, but they're definitely trying to reel in the "healthy" crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:53 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

So, so broke right now thanks to having to change my car because of the amount of trouble I was getting with the old one. For the past two weeks my shopping came to €12. God bless Aldi super 6! It's looking like the next fortnight will be much of the same thing too. The next paycheck that I will actually have money is 21st Feb so I'm thinking by then I will have plenty of replenishing to do of my supplies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:52 am 
WRETCHED

I went to our Aldi once but wasn't impressed, I might try it again.

And speaking of upcoming expenses, I'm going to have to do my taxes soon (ugh).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:59 am 
Bathes in Braggs

VeganMeredith wrote:
Ugh, just spent nearly $100 at the grocery store for just me. Hopefully all this produce will last me more than just the week. And I did buy medjool dates and almonds, which were $25 alone. Still - I need to spend less money at the grocery store. I just love food!

I can understand your distress. Overspending on groceries is cyclical problem with me. It helps me (only a little) to remind myself that money spent on health food now, is less money spent on time lost at work and a major medical procedure later.

LOL, those must be really good dates and almonds !!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Since this thread started, I have brought my average down about $10-15/week!

It's all about making meal plans based on what's in the pantry, looking at sales flyers, and BULK BINS

Still spend around $65/week, but we eat very well, and that includes lunches. And wine haha.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 am 
WRETCHED

My husband bought some bulk pistachios yesterday, it was a decent sized bag but came to $20. They are good but I think next time, we'll go to Trader Joe's.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Chicki wrote:
Since this thread started, I have brought my average down about $10-15/week!

It's all about making meal plans based on what's in the pantry, looking at sales flyers, and BULK BINS

Still spend around $65/week, but we eat very well, and that includes lunches. And wine haha.

I don't know the economics of your area, but here $65 a week for two people is excellent.

The single most helpful rule that works for me is similar to what you have been doing. I try to buy groceries only once a week. That forces me to use what I have.

I live near some vegan friendly co-ops/groceries that have ready to eat food. I often get tempted to go there for a quick dinner and tell myself "hey, I need/will need this, let me pick it up while I am here", before I know it a quick light dinner caused me to spend $20. Sometimes that can happen a few times a week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:47 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I've been unemployed for a few months and been doing the non-processed diet with mostly dried beans and rice. My new job is right around the corner from Whole Foods. This could be dangerous.

What brand of dried beans do you guys get? Just wonderin'. I've found Goya is cheapest but always looking for better deals.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:55 am 
WRETCHED

I'd go to WFs for dried beans just for variety but it depends what you have available. Millet is also usually really cheap in bulk and I love millet. I admit that I mail order dried beans so they aren't exactly cheap but they are good. Rancho Gordo is my favorite.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:07 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

jaine-pie wrote:
I've been unemployed for a few months and been doing the non-processed diet with mostly dried beans and rice. My new job is right around the corner from Whole Foods. This could be dangerous.

What brand of dried beans do you guys get? Just wonderin'. I've found Goya is cheapest but always looking for better deals.

In my area Goya is more expensive than other brands of bagged, dried beans. I don't believe Goya is organic either, so if you are going to go that route you can dried beans cheaper at a Shoppers Food Warehouse, Aldis, a big box store ( I hear some Targets have things like Gardein now, soy milk etc ), a dollar store or even an ordinary supermarket.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:19 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

jaine-pie wrote:

I don't have brand loyalty when it comes to beans. I have gotten some duds, so I don't always go with the absolute cheapest. I usually get the store brand regular brown/green lentils, and then for other varieties, whatever's available. For some of the more specialized beans, there aren't usually multiple brands to choose from. I think the cannelini beans I just bought are Goya brand. I prefer beans that have some sort of date on them, preferably a "packed on" date rather than just an expiration date so I can have some idea that they haven't been sitting on the shelves for years. Every once in a while it appears that someone has ransacked the beans section with multiple varieties completely gone. At least there is some turnover, I guess -- otherwise I would wonder if I am the only one buying beans, as I never see anyone else in that section of the "ethnic foods" aisle.

Inexplicably, the red lentils in the Indian/Middle eastern section are several times more expensive than the ones in the Hispanic section.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:20 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Man I wish we had bulk bins over here. I could save a fortune then! I have found that the beans in the asian market tend to be a lot cheaper though. I get all my spices there too in big enough packets rather than the tiny little jars in the supermarket.

When I get paid on the 21st it is going to be my first port of call because I need tofu. It's been a whole week since I've had it and I am missing it like crazy already. Also going to get a big sack of rice because I seem to be going through that like crazy lately.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:25 pm 
WRETCHED

beforewisdom wrote:
jaine-pie wrote:

In my area Goya is more expensive than other brands of bagged, dried beans. I don't believe Goya is organic either, so if you are going to go that route you can dried beans cheaper at a Shoppers Food Warehouse, Aldis, a big box store ( I hear some Targets have things like Gardein now, soy milk etc ), a dollar store or even an ordinary supermarket.

I'd recommend looking in Asian, Hispanic and Middle eastern stores though. Most shoppers of your average grocery store don't buy dried beans so the beans tend to be old.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

beforewisdom wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

I can understand your distress. Overspending on groceries is cyclical problem with me. It helps me (only a little) to remind myself that money spent on health food now, is less money spent on time lost at work and a major medical procedure later.

LOL, those must be really good dates and almonds !!

Ha! Will Whole Foods give a refund if you get sick despite buying health food?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next