| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grocery Spending Issues
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I spend a lot of money on groceries, too! But I feel as though it is important to eat well and healthy so I don't mind spending the extra money on groceries. Plus, my fiance and I love cooking together and it is a hobby of mine to seek out new recipes and try new foods, so I don't mind! I feel a little bit guilty spending all of the money sometimes on food, so I may try to only buy more essential items in the future!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Yeah, I am in the same boat as most of you too! I know I could stand to spend less, especially so I could put more money into saving for a home, school, travel, etc. We don't actually do too bad - it's probably around $400-500 a month for three of us, with one on the way (so I'm eating more, and some of those items are a little extra pricey).

I know if I meal-planned consistently, it'd be a bit less, because usually we end up realizing that we are short a lime and cilantro, so head to the store and end up spending $40 on those and some other not-so-necessary items. It doesn't help that my partner isn't as interested in cutting out packaged foods, but now that I'm going to be at home full-time with the little ones, I am hoping to make some of our snacks (easy things like baked goods, etc) which will cut down packaging and cost.

We also have a fantastic grocery store here, that reminds me of when I lived in Metro Vancouver where there are TONS of little Asian farm markets with awesome produce - I'd seriously buy enough produce to feed a raw vegan for a week for about $20. Anyway, when we eat more stir-fries and curries and such, we can totally live on $50 or less a week here. Sooo... perhaps I should get back to that a bit.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:20 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Amy wrote:
Oh god, buying coffee is like a whole separate issue. I buy 1-2 iced coffees a day during the work week, because it's seriously the part of my work day I most look forward to. (Yeah, that's sad).

I have been forcing myself to rein in my ridiculous froofy coffee-spending. I've been buying about one a day, and two on the days I have class. :( The nice guy at one of the Starbucks I go to doesn't charge me for soy, but it's still so bad.... They're the highlight of my days too.

My grocery bill is usually $300 a month for two adults, but that's punctuated every 6 weeks or so by a massive splurge at Whole Foods. I can't resist the vegan specialty items, boxed cookies, fancy spreads, cool liquors, candy, weird ingredients, all organic and fair trade and whatnot.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:38 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I guess we're pretty average then too. We aim for under $150 per week for 2 adults and 1 5yo. My husband is omni though, and he eats probably double what I eat. My 5 year old is growing like crazy, so he probably eats close to what I do. My budget includes laundry soap, tp, etc. I clip coupons for the non-food stuff and buy when it's on sale, that way my laundry detergent is 3$ instead of 9$, same for tp.
I find what keeps it down the best is no snacky pre-made stuff. And planning meals. If I can cook with what's in my cupboards instead of buying all new stuff every week it keeps our costs waaaay down. I get all my beans, lentils, spices, grains, and nuts from bulk barn because they're super cheap there.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

vijita wrote:
I honestly think clipping coupons tends to be a waste of time.

Sometimes it seems like it, but if you follow a coupon site (myfrugaladventures.com posts a lot), they will tell you about sales at stores that you can combine with the coupons to get things even cheaper, and sometimes you can stack coupons. Obviously most of these coupons are for non-vegan things, but I can scroll through the entries that don't apply to me pretty quickly (and I print the coupons out at work, shhhhh).

I hate hate hate having to budget for food. My idea of being comfortable is not having to worry about how much i'm spending at the grocery store, even if i'm still shopping at Goodwill and buying 90% of everything else on sale/clearance. Two summers ago when we were brizoke, I had a $40 grocery budget (for me alone) that was made possible by beans, rice, and the Farmer's Market. I would get $40 out of the ATM before the market every week, and whatever I had left over what what I took to the grocery store. I exclusively ate leftovers at work and didn't buy any bottled drinks. I was still able to buy some organic products and luckily my HFS has pretty cheap tofu. It was kind of limiting, but not impossible. I wasn't cutting coupons though, so if I didn't have cheap, local produce available via Farmer's Market and had clipped coupons instead, I still could've handled it.

My boss sends me to McDonald's for him sometimes, and a Filet O' Fish with fries and a soda is almost $6! I thought McDonald's was supposed to be cheap?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:16 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

mrsbadmouth wrote:
My boss sends me to McDonald's for him sometimes, and a Filet O' Fish with fries and a soda is almost $6! I thought McDonald's was supposed to be cheap?

Oh man, it's so not! We ate a lot of McDonald's growing up and I remember dinner for 4 of us would be like $30+ (my brother's order was 2 big macs, fries and mcnuggets).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:32 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I thought we were spending a ton on groceries until my husband was laid off and we went on food assistance for a few months. We got $668 a month for the 4 of us, and that was after being warned that it wouldn't be what most people spend on groceries and probably wouldn't cover everything. We ended up with extra each month.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:43 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

mrsbadmouth wrote:
vijita wrote:
I honestly think clipping coupons tends to be a waste of time.

Sometimes it seems like it, but if you follow a coupon site (myfrugaladventures.com posts a lot), they will tell you about sales at stores that you can combine with the coupons to get things even cheaper, and sometimes you can stack coupons. Obviously most of these coupons are for non-vegan things, but I can scroll through the entries that don't apply to me pretty quickly (and I print the coupons out at work, shhhhh).

Yeah, you are probably right. I think perhaps coupons just aren't much of a thing here as they are in the US. I read all the grocery store flyers and stock up on sale stuff at various places. Online coupons seem to be mostly only valid in the US. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. It's very possible!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I felt I got more food at TJs tonight. $25: 3 Zico chocolate waters, tater tots, 2 Cliff Kids bars, sliced watermelon, frozen pakoras, soy yogurt, faux chicken strips, fresh rolls...Lunch and most of dinner and breakfast for the next few nights.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:36 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

TJ's is great. $40 at TJ's goes so much farther for me than $40 at the standard grocery by my house.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:44 pm 
Naked Under Apron

beanspark wrote:
Amy wrote:
Oh god, buying coffee is like a whole separate issue. I buy 1-2 iced coffees a day during the work week, because it's seriously the part of my work day I most look forward to. (Yeah, that's sad).

I have been forcing myself to rein in my ridiculous froofy coffee-spending. I've been buying about one a day, and two on the days I have class. :( The nice guy at one of the Starbucks I go to doesn't charge me for soy, but it's still so bad.... They're the highlight of my days too.

You probably already know this (the people at my SB's reminded me all the time and I resisted for some reason), but get a Starbucks card and load it up! You get free soy and syrup that way, so you can save a buck on a vanilla latte or something similar. I finally switched to cheaper drinks, but I still spend too much. Hey, we could have worse habits, right? ;)

This thread is inspiring me to really try meal planning and sticking to a budget next week. I also like eating well, but I need to reign in the treats and splurges and impulse buys. Maybe I'll even look for a coupon or something!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:55 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

We spend a lot of money on groceries too! But I have to think of it as an investment to our health. My husband and I became vegan for many reasons and it's a conviction that we feel very strongly about (I'm sure the same as the rest of you!). I'm sure we will have to be more frugal once we start having kids, but for now I'd rather spend the extra money to eat good and healthy food that's animal free and safe for the environment.

As for coffee...that's a whole other story! Probably REALLY need to cut that spending down :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:56 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

dakini wrote:
TJ's is great. $40 at TJ's goes so much farther for me than $40 at the standard grocery by my house.

TRADER JOES IS THE BEST!!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

With my free soy from a registered Starbucks card and the Frappy Hour promo, I can get a tall frappuccino for less than $2.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:19 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I spent roughly 6 months on a $25/week food budget, shopping exclusively at Walmart because I could get there by bus and it was cheap, and there was basically nothing else around. Breakfast was either oatmeal or generic bran flakes with soymilk and bananas. Lunch was a peanut butter sandwich and carrot sticks. Dinner was pasta or beans and rice with frozen vegetables. I ate that same stupid menu everyday, but I think I could have done better if I'd had time to cook. My work/living situation didn't really allow for anything other than super basic food prep. The thing I missed most was fresh fruit, which rarely fit into my budget. I considered apples a splurge. Apples! I remember one time I bought a couple of shitty nectarines from Walmart and considered them a huge luxury.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not living like that anymore, but I could do it again if I had to. I still eat pretty cheap, though. I just have more resources now (and a car!), so it doesn't feel like such a struggle. I'm lucky to live near an Asian market with really cheap produce, so I can get more than enough vegetables and fruit for the week for around $20-25. Beyond that, most of what I buy comes from Grocery Outlet and, about once a month, the Winco bulk bins. On the rare occasion I have a Sunday morning off work and can go to the farmers market, it's consistently best both in terms of price and quality.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

$150/wk for 2 adults and a child sounds reasonable to me. (Some of this is naturally going to be related to where you live and what you like to eat, of course.) I usually spend about $30/wk on produce at the farmer's market, then another $30 on staples at Trader Joe's and maybe $10/wk on specialty items at other stores. My spouse is more of an "oooh that looks good!" food shopper, soooo that's like another $60/wk right there. If we eat out once on top of that (more like bi-monthly now, but it used to be weekly), that's easily over $150.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:01 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

karichelle wrote:
With my free soy from a registered Starbucks card and the Frappy Hour promo, I can get a tall frappuccino for less than $2.

For the Starbucks addicts out there: You should keep your eye on Livingsocial and deal sites like that, because sometimes they'll have $5 for a $10 Starbucks gift card and other similar promotions. You can then transfer the balance to your registered card that you use regularly. I've done this a few times. I don't go to Starbucks very often, but I've actually found the card comes in really handy when I'm looking for something to eat at the airport, because sometimes they have hummus/veggie trays on offer.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:28 am 
Not NOT A Furry

mrsbadmouth wrote:
My idea of being comfortable is not having to worry about how much i'm spending at the grocery store,

I totally agree. I was shopping recently with my roommate and we had to make sure we weren't buying too many walnuts, cause they're really pricey. I just remember thinking "I cannot wait until I am done school, have a decent job, and can buy all the walnuts I want". Walnuts! I'm not asking for much here!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

^^no kidding!

Considering what others have said, i think that barring the super restrictive kind of diet ashley mentions, i don't think i could really get my spending any lower. We don't have any pre-made vegan food here, and we buy almost nothing in a package (every once in a great while, crackers. shoot me). We make our own juice, bread, burgers, even cleaning supplies.
what gets me is that my spouse and kid would happily eat the same food every single day, so i probably could get our spending down to $25/wk (beans and rice for lunch/dinner, bread for breakfast). But when they eat like that Mr T often feels the need to go and buy meat, so there isn't really any savings.

i think the only real problem is buying stuff to make a certain type of food (trip to the chinese market where i buy 10 things, then the lebanese one, japanese one etc) and i end up with too many supplies. I'll be trying to use this shiitake up before we move....

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:04 am 
Saggy Butt

I am in the camp that spends obscenely on groceries.

fortunately since our roommate moved in, my boyfriend and he are now responsible for feeding themselves for 2/3 meals a day, but i like to cook dinner every day and i pay for that and i pay for my own food for breakfast/lunch.

part of my problem is likely that i WORK AT WEGMANS. i make a list of whatever i need for dinner before i leave in the morning, and am getting very good at NOT buying all the extra stuff. but seriously so much of my paychecks go right back into buying food. even after a super long and hard day and if i'm crabby when i leave work, i get this euphoric high from shopping there because it's just so damn pleasant.
even worse, i'm going to get transferred to an even NICER store in june so i have a feeling i'll spend just a litttttttle bit more every day. oh and i'm going to work in the natural foods section instead of the cafe, so i'll spend allllll day stocking things that 'OOOOOH I WANNA TRY!"

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:12 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Limone wrote:
karichelle wrote:

For the Starbucks addicts out there: You should keep your eye on Livingsocial and deal sites like that, because sometimes they'll have $5 for a $10 Starbucks gift card and other similar promotions. You can then transfer the balance to your registered card that you use regularly. I've done this a few times. I don't go to Starbucks very often, but I've actually found the card comes in really handy when I'm looking for something to eat at the airport, because sometimes they have hummus/veggie trays on offer.

I buy those whenever I see them and do the same thing. :) The only reason I got the card was so I could get free soy milk...I enjoy getting something from SB at least once a week on my way to work. I go in mid-afternoon so it's a nice pick-me-up.

I'm not sure exactly how much we spend on groceries in a weekly average, but I usually try to shoot for $50-60 a week. There is a once a month TJ's trip that normally amounts to about $100. This is for 2 adults, both vegan. I buy most of our produce at Aldi, where it is gobs cheaper than even Walmart and TJ's. Tricolor Bell Peppers for $2 a pack? Eggplant for 99 cents? Grapes for 99 cents a pound? A bag of apples for $2? Yes please.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:50 am 
Impressive boner

We probably spend around £200 a month for two adults and veggies for eight guinea pigs. All of the dried, canned and heavy stuff (potatoes, onions, etc) are delivered at the beginning of the month and then I buy fresh produce as we need it from wherever costs the least - usually the market or greengrocers, sometimes Aldi or Lidl. My diet has changed somewhat lately as I've cut out starchy foods, wheat and refined sugar and am upping my intake of nuts, seeds and beans. I can buy big bags of dried beans from our local Turkish food centre but the nuts are being bought in bulk online.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:05 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Norelle wrote:
I am in the camp that spends obscenely on groceries.

fortunately since our roommate moved in, my boyfriend and he are now responsible for feeding themselves for 2/3 meals a day, but i like to cook dinner every day and i pay for that and i pay for my own food for breakfast/lunch.

part of my problem is likely that i WORK AT WEGMANS. i make a list of whatever i need for dinner before i leave in the morning, and am getting very good at NOT buying all the extra stuff. but seriously so much of my paychecks go right back into buying food. even after a super long and hard day and if i'm crabby when i leave work, i get this euphoric high from shopping there because it's just so damn pleasant.
even worse, i'm going to get transferred to an even NICER store in june so i have a feeling i'll spend just a litttttttle bit more every day. oh and i'm going to work in the natural foods section instead of the cafe, so i'll spend allllll day stocking things that 'OOOOOH I WANNA TRY!"

I hear that. When I worked at a health food store, even though I took home heaps of organic produce every day, I still spent a fortune at the store. And that employee discount only goes so far.

Now I work at a cidery, and even though I bring home free cider, I still spend way too much on additional cider. You just spend your days thinking about how delicious it all is!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:32 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vijita wrote:
I honestly think clipping coupons tends to be a waste of time. I look out for deals and buy more of things I use frequently (bread, nooch, PB, coconut milk, non-dairy milk, tofu, etc...) when they are on sale, but I think meal-planning and sticking to grocery lists is key. If I get too into deals I end up buying like one litre of organic maple syrup even though I totally don't need it.

I'm with you. Unless it's a coupon from a VegFest-type event or company, it's really not something relevant for me. I like trying new vegan products and supporting good companies, for sure, but they're frequent purchases. As for coupons, what are you guys buying with them? I don't know, instead of buying Muir Glen tomatoes with a coupon, I buy WF or TJ or wait til the MG is on sale, which does happen. Just for example.
While I do splurge on some fun vegan stuff, I find enough sales to justify them (to me) and try to stay away from packaged goods, besides that. I will go, and enjoy, shopping at different stores and trying to stick to a list - I'm forever carrying around post its - to save money. I like what someone else said about holding off to buy new things until the next paycheck, etc. I don't always stick to that, but I do try to do it. It certainly makes a difference when one holds off on buying a new bottle of olive oil or maple syrup, for example.

This thread is fascinating. My recent new-budgeting has me making bread from scratch and eating more rice and lentil dishes.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:40 am 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I feel maybe couponing is very different in the United States. For example when I watch that show "Extreme Couponing" I know that shiitake at that level is just not possible where I live. The store rules are different "not in combination with any other offer," etc. that restricts that sort of huge savings bidness. I clip the odd coupon for an item that I'll use but kinda rare. I'll maybe use ten coupons a year. There just aren't that many coupons for products I actually use and most of my grocery bill is fresh fruit and produce, anyhoo and I don't know if I've ever seen coupons for produce.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next